Who ate the post counts?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:51 pm

If everybody is guaranteed to get points they become meaningless. Respect must be earned.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Of course.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm

A4 has a complicated respect system, it was once spelled out how it works and it sounded ok. It boils down to you getting to hand out a certain amount of respect, if you get respect, you can hand out a little more plus the respect you hand out is worth more if you have more respect. Respect eventually goes away. If you hand out all your respect, and you get none, you don't get any more to hand out.

Does it work? As far as I can tell, nobody cares. I've never handed out any and I got some a long time ago for identifying a bunch of anime, but they've gone away.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:10 pm

I don't really see the point of a respect system. I do just fine on my own identifying those who consistently make good posts.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm with everyone who isn't in favor of a respect system. Respect systems suck, and just aren't fun.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I don't see the point of a respect system either. People will get bored with it and/or abuse the system to their own benefit.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Why do we need any kind of system anyway? The post count got dropped because it became a problem, so why go and create something new that could just turn out to pose the same kind of problem? Just let things stay as they are right now and see how it goes.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 pm

In theory it could offer an alternative to "me too" posting...
Though, yeah, that probably will continue anyway.

:yuck:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 am

Not if the staff have anything to say about it.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Why would we need some kind of respect or post-count system anyway? Respect should be based on how we behave on the forum.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Can we have a respeck system instead? In fact, did you know that respeck is a word used so little, that it isn't even in the dictionary? True fact.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 pm

I agree; there certainly isn't enough respeck on this board.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:49 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Can we have a respeck system instead? In fact, did you know that respeck is a word used so little, that it isn't even in the dictionary? True fact.

I love you. :thumbsup:

(So, does you fink the moon does not exist?)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:Can we have a respeck system instead? In fact, did you know that respeck is a word used so little, that it isn't even in the dictionary? True fact.

I love you. :thumbsup:

(So, does you fink the moon does not exist?)

Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary? It's true. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm

...You don't watch the Da Ali G Show or the Borat/Da Ali G/Bruno movies, do you? :( (Da Ali G is an HBO show but out on DVD.)

Watch them, NOW. They're freaking awesome.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Regarding implementing a "Respect system" of sorts, I have a suggestion:

Thumbs up, thumbs down.
Forum members are able to rate posts, youtube style.

Good (respectable/lulzy) posts are given a thumbs up by the EGF community, adding to the poster's respect level.
Bad (spammy/fail) posts are given the thumbs down etc.

Naturally- you cannot rate your own posts, only the EGF community decides on a post's worth.
Members with a high tally of "thumbs up" points are recognised as the respectable contributors they are.

It'll undoubtedly turn into a popularity contest of sorts. Pointless and difficult to implement, I'm sure.
Just thought I'd make a half-decent suggestion before we enter Locktopia.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm

chazthesilencer wrote:Thumbs up, thumbs down.
Forum members are able to rate posts, youtube style.

This system does not work: I've seen it being horribly misused in a Finnish film community.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I don't think the thumbs up and down system would work out well.

We don't really need any kind of system. Let's leave things as they are.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 pm

I've seen the thumbs up, thumbs down system used in the horrormovies.ca forum, and it doesn't appear to have any problems.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Can I just get colored boxes? I'll be cool with that.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”