hate the game not the playa

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

hate the game not the playa

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:25 am

ive been wondering. why do most people hate Gendo? in my eyes, he was doing a favor for humanity, was he getting something out of it? yes, but none the less he was doing them a favor
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:47 am

I kind of liked Gendo too. He might of been an insensitive asshole, but he was a misunderstood insensitive asshole. There’s a big difference. :lol:
I can only take so much retarded.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:55 am

thats what im saying. but people for some reason hate the guy

secondson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby secondson » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:20 am

Yeah, see, I never really considered the initiation of the Third Impact as doing mankind a "favour" O_o People don't usually hold the liquefying of all organic matter in a particularly positive light, but, hey, it seems to work for those crazy cat's up at Gainax =3

(sorry - off topic)

Anyway. People hate things they don't, won't or simply can't understand - one of those things apparently being Ikari Gendo. Although I find him to be one of the most poignant, fascinating and identifiable characters in the series (i.e., one with whom one finds his/her self able to indentify), most choose not to look past face value to see what makes this man.

Why? Because that involves effort. And analysis. It's much easier to sum a character up by the motivation behind his actions, opposed to the actions themselves. It's no different than those who look at Asuka and say "Oh, she's just a little b*tch," or Shinji and assume, "What a wimp." - and when they apply to Gendo their 30-second observation, they just decide "He's heartless and evil - what an ass."

He blackmailed the world - to see his wife, as was my understanding. Try and tell me that doesn't mean something. He's no different than any other character in the story, and by no means any worse. People just won't take the time to see that. I hope that made sense - it's early over here -_-"

(*note - let it be known I'm talking about the feelings of those who view the series and characters, not the characters themsevles and their relations and views of one another. Just felt I needed to clear that up a bit)
Last edited by secondson on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
All right, when I say your name, you say here. And we will assume here is short for Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:30 am

he did humanity a favor by getting us all into heaven.

we are an existence of horrid, evil nasty, freakish things. this is more evident to Gendo, considering his assumed pre-yui life style.

i can aptly identify with him. he is who i am incarnate. people just naturally hate him, nobody knows why, not even him. reasons are given, but none truly fit. but then theres that one or two people that he gets along with. those rare people that dont hate him, but rather enjoy being around him.

not off topic, but rather giving my analysis of Gendo on a basic level

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:12 am

In response to The Messiahs comment-

Ummmm, third impact was not getting into heaven, everyone died and their souls were bounded together into a single omninence being, kinda like the G-d the wished to emmulate, to become what they thought was the next and only possible step in evolution. They were really returning to the primordial pool of LCL that existed when the seed of Lilam first landed on earth. But, as Eva Monkey pointed out, you have to rule out relegion in the universe of Evangelion. So, they did not go to heaven, if you want to relate third impact to relegion at all you can say they wanted to become G-d, a single being, having all their thoughts melded into one where individuality and aloness don't exist. But in Evangelion their G-d was actually the aliens that seeded earth with life so this is pointless almost. You can say they became like G-d as an example to simplify the explanation.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Actually Gendou is one of my favorite characters. Everything he did was for love. After his wife died, he did everything within his power to be reunited with his one true love.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:39 pm

I think that most people that hate Gendo hate him because they haven't seen End of Eva, or completely ignored the "retribution" scene. Without the movie, you could consider Gendo evil. The movie really turns our perceptions of the character full circle. Its very interesting in that respect.

My thoughts on Gendo Ikari

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:00 pm

I hate gendo for the follwing reasons.

1.) Shinji needed a father after Yui died and he abandoned him, because as he admits he was afraid to love him. Making the excuse that having Shinji around him would only cause the boy pain is just a cop-out.

If he'd cared for Shinji or at least seen to it he was resed in a loving envroment, I would feel diffrent.

2.) Instead of getting over the loss of his wife and moving on, he convinced Seele to go aheaad with the instrumentality project ( ep 21 I think ) and force the human race to unite into one so he could have Yui back.

If he'd Not brought the instrumentality project to Seele, and concintrated on the Eva's to stop 3rd impact by stoping the angels i'd fell diffrent.

I know he loved Yui its the mans one redeaming charastic IMHO but ending human civlization as we know it so he can be happy with his wife again is arogents.

3.) The way he uses people like like ritso, her mother, and Rei. Abandoning them when their use to him has ended.

Rei going on about how she knew the he'd abandon her and they way she longed for they day when he would so she could be nothing was hearbreaking. Their was almost no joy in that childs life and he's to blame or it.

That the reason i dont like the man.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:25 pm

I wouldn't say I hate Gendo, but he certainly is not the most likeable character out there. Yea he's misunderstood to a certain extent, but I think the audience is supposed to dislike him, for most of the time anyway.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:47 pm

DatDude wrote:I know he loved Yui its the mans one redeaming charastic IMHO but ending human civlization as we know it so he can be happy with his wife again is arogents.
That's why I think Gendo is so great. He's very human because he makes stupid and drastic decisions just like us, and in the end he had his regrets.
I can only take so much retarded.

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:00 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
DatDude wrote:I know he loved Yui its the mans one redeaming charastic IMHO but ending human civlization as we know it so he can be happy with his wife again is arogents.
That's why I think Gendo is so great. He's very human because he makes stupid and drastic decisions just like us, and in the end he had his regrets.

yeah but only when he's pretty much fucked. he didnt have many regrets anytime else it seemed
comming soon so a siggy near you

secondson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby secondson » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:58 pm

DatDude wrote:I hate gendo for the follwing reasons.

1.) Shinji needed a father after Yui died and he abandoned him, because as he admits he was afraid to love him.

2.) Instead of getting over the loss of his wife and moving on, he convinced Seele to go aheaad with the instrumentality project ( ep 21 I think) and force the human race to unite into one so he could have Yui back.

3.) The way he uses people like like ritso, her mother, and Rei. Abandoning them when their use to him has ended.

Sorry for the edits in the qoute, but, I find this funny - I like Gendo for the exact reasons that you don't =3 He just seems more human that way. Oh well...
All right, when I say your name, you say here. And we will assume here is short for Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:59 pm

DatDude wrote:I hate gendo for the follwing reasons.

1.) Shinji needed a father after Yui died and he abandoned him, because as he admits he was afraid to love him.

2.) Instead of getting over the loss of his wife and moving on, he convinced Seele to go aheaad with the instrumentality project ( ep 21 I think) and force the human race to unite into one so he could have Yui back.

you must hate me then

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:01 am

Personally I don't hate Gendo, I mean, I'm freaking cosplaying as him! Sure he not win the Father of the Year Award but I think that he had the right idea, just did it all wrong though. Yeah, he may be the Basterd King but still he is dovoted to his wife and like they say, love conquers all.......unless you love the little 14 year old with blue hair instead.......
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:39 am

Gendou is one of my favorite characters, my reasons for liking him have already been posted by others. In the end, he's merely miss-understood. :P
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:11 pm

TheMessiah wrote:
you must hate me then

Nope, don't know ya enough to hate you. :)

I do see your argument when it comes to Gendo, but I see things diffrently thats all.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:58 pm

Gendo didn't actually plan to initiate the third impact that happened. In his version, it seems, only he would be complemented and would become one with Yui. Remember, things didn't turn out the way he had planned, Rei betrayed him and left the choice of what would become of humanity to Shinji.
And yes, Gendo is a misunderstood character, but I found him to be my favorite character.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:32 pm

Phaze wrote:Gendo didn't actually plan to initiate the third impact that happened. In his version, it seems, only he would be complemented and would become one with Yui. Remember, things didn't turn out the way he had planned, Rei betrayed him and left the choice of what would become of humanity to Shinji.
And yes, Gendo is a misunderstood character, but I found him to be my favorite character.

ummm in EoE he told Rei to " murge all souls into one then take me to my Yui's side "

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:05 pm

personally i find it hard to hate him...hes doing horrible things...but hes doing them for very human reasons...his drive to see yui again is a bit obsessive (Rei and trying to initiate third impact his own way)
the third impact gendos way isnt known...so maybe it would have been just him... sounds more like that because otherwise it would go with SEELE's scenario

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”