End of Evangelion Funimation Petition

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

End of Evangelion Funimation Petition

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Since Manga Entertainment lost the rights to End of Evangelion, I would like Funimation to buy the rights for End of Evangelion. Now that Funimation has the cast for Rebuild of Evangelion, they would use the cast to dub EOE. Therefore, I have created a petition to have Funimation buy the rights. Here is the link: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/EndEvangelion
Also, it would be appreciated if you give feedback on the petition and my opinion. Thanks for your time.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm

I read that as "End of Funimation" petition, as in you wanted Funimation gone and dead.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Sachi wrote:I read that as "End of Funimation" petition, as in you wanted Funimation gone and dead.

That is not what I am saying. Jeez. Didn't you read the description?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:24 pm

tomrule123 wrote:That is not what I am saying. Jeez. Didn't you read the description?

I know, and that is why I pointed out my mistake.

Anyways, so you're basically trying to petition for Funimation to dub EoE? Even though it has already been dubbed? Seems like a waste of time and money, if you ask me. Even if a mass majority think the current English dub is shit; that mass seems to also consist of people who don't watch English dubs in general and stick with the original Japanese dubbing.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 pm

ya, i would like it better if they got to work on the rebuild series before anything else.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Petitions are a complete waste of time. Besides, I actually like the English dub with the sole exception of the added 'squish'.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 am

Petitions are a waste of time. Someone will pick up the license. Given pseudo-ADV being in an extremely weird state of flux right now, I doubt they would be able to scrape together the money for the license.

Also, to be noted is that whoever picks up the license will have to re-dub it anyway. So if it's not done by Funimation, expect yet another permutation of the English cast.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 am

I'd just like to see a better transfer. I couldn't care less about the dub.
I didn't mind the dub done on EoE, but at this point there are so many different VAs involved that it'll never be repeated (and the best English VAs on the show aren't even in the industry anymore to my knowledge).

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:13 am

I do have this nagging feeling that it will be good while before we see a rerelease because Gainax will try to hold out for the highest price they think they can get. If I remember right, I thought I read on a thread a long time ago that Manga only got the licence beause ADV wasn't willing to the price Gainax wanted. Am I mistaken?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am

Merridian wrote:I'd just like to see a better transfer. I couldn't care less about the dub.

Ditto.

cyharding wrote:If I remember right, I thought I read on a thread a long time ago that Manga only got the licence beause ADV wasn't willing to the price Gainax wanted. Am I mistaken?

Matt Greenfield stated on one of the Platinum commentaries that Gainax wanted a "stupid amount of money for it". As I understand it, ADV's sales model was to sell a moderate amount of a lot of titles, while Manga's sales model is to sell a high amount of a few titles. This is why Manga took the license, it was worth the effort, and they could make a profit in the end while ADV probably could not. While I'm sure ADV they knew they could profit in the end, they probably could have done better licensing several different smaller things, rather than one single big thing.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 am

If funimation does decide to pick it up, I hope they don’t go their usual route and do a bunch of dub rewrites for the English script like they usually like to do for a lot of their releases.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 am

NemZ wrote:Petitions are a complete waste of time. Besides, I actually like the English dub with the sole exception of the added 'squish'.

If the squish was removed from the dub and good accurate subtitles for the Japanese track were added I'd be a happy camper.

Anyway, does anyone take online petitions seriously? It's more constructive to just send an email over to Funimation.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

LordCaldwell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LordCaldwell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 am

I watched EoE again last night. I have concluded that the manga ldt or whoever that made the movie fails at life. The squish was retarted, too much of the diolauge was stupid or repeditive, and makato definatly ISNT BLACK! I mean seriously, I love that movie and this is my favorite anime of al time, but WHAT THE FUCK WAS MANGA THINKING??? they even changed the color to some kind of pastel, and it seemed like some of the characters were drawn slightly differently. I hope ADV films takes the movie rights.
Lord C.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:12 am

LordCaldwell wrote: I mean seriously, I love that movie and this is my favorite anime of al time, but WHAT THE FUCK WAS MANGA THINKING??? they even changed the color to some kind of pastel, and it seemed like some of the characters were drawn slightly differently. I hope ADV films takes the movie rights.
Dub complaints aside, Manga really isn't responsible for alterations in character/technical models (like Unit-02's slight redesign that people for some reason get bothered about). If the 'pastel' you're referring to is the actual color pallet, Manga really isn't responsible for that either--but if you're referring to the god-awful Vaseline smear, then I'm all but certain that WAS Manga's fault (especially since the Renewal version in Japan is so friggin crisp it’s unreal). Oh, and the letterbox fuckup is just a huge neon sign screaming "cheap quality DVD release" as well; I'd expect that kind of laziness to come from less-than-reputable releases of foreign martial arts imports that cost like $10, not a DVD release of an ultra-acclaimed animated film that cost me in the neighborhood of $25-$30.

@Topic: considering that Funimation's already licensed & released Rebuild 1.0, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're currently in the works trying to procure EoE and Death^2(tr00_3456Absolute Edition) as well. They'd have to be blind not to see that it'd sell like hotcakes if they got a decent release on the shelves...

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 am

Iron Rooster wrote:
NemZ wrote:Petitions are a complete waste of time. Besides, I actually like the English dub with the sole exception of the added 'squish'.

If the squish was removed from the dub and good accurate subtitles for the Japanese track were added I'd be a happy camper.

Anyway, does anyone take online petitions seriously? It's more constructive to just send an email over to Funimation.

Why didn't I think it before? Though, the problem is, I can't find Funimation's email. Does anyone know?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am

A real live handwritten letter is going to be more effective than any on-line thing.

ANN gives

Mailing address: FUNimation Entertainment, Ltd.
6851 NE Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX 76180-9012
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:07 am

Tines speaks the truth. Nobody gives a shit about online petitions. No one. They're so easy to create, administer, and sign, that it doesn't show any real level of devotion. If you wrote a concise, well worded letter, and mailed it to them, they would be far more receptive.

Hell, even a well worded email would be a far better use of your time.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 pm

What? No!

I would hate to see EoE redubbed. I mean EoE is the final 2 episodes of NGE. It would be wierd if you watched a show all the way then right before the end they change all the actors... Not to mention its a great dub anyways.

Though i would love Funi to license EoE and the real D&R for blu ray... with the squishes removed *shudder* What was that!?

...although if funi licensed NGE, EOE, D&R and RoE and redubbed them all i wouldn't complain, i still have the originals and i would buy them again, gladly :/
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm

skikes wrote:It would be wierd if you watched a show all the way then right before the end they change all the actors...

That already happened. In the Manga dub of D&R and EoE, they recast Fuyutsuki, Kaworu, Hyuga, Ibuki, Yui, Keel, and Hikari.

In the Directors cuts, they recast people.

In Rebuild, they recast people.

They didn't even keep a consistent cast in the original TV series dub. Touji is played by three different people!

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
skikes wrote:It would be wierd if you watched a show all the way then right before the end they change all the actors...

That already happened. In the Manga dub of D&R and EoE, they recast Fuyutsuki, Kaworu, Hyuga, Ibuki, Yui, Keel, and Hikari.

In the Directors cuts, they recast people.

In Rebuild, they recast people.

They didn't even keep a consistent cast in the original TV series dub. Touji is played by three different people!

Yes but the core cast remained the same... Luckily i don't think the cast changes were really all that noticeable, you can tell they put an effort into finding sound alikes.... except for Kaworu, that was quite glaring... gay Kaji any1?
Also did they change yui? Wasn't AWL always the VA for yui?

And as for rebuild, thats fine. New Universe, New VA's... like ive said before, i wish they had have recast everyone for a new fresh feel, rather than this jumbled feeling it has now.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”