Was the spec ops commander in EoE aware of SEELE's plan?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Cypher
Adam

Was the spec ops commander in EoE aware of SEELE's plan?

•      
  •      

Postby Cypher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:41 am

He doesn't look to worried and the communications officer behind him is smiling as Unit 01 and the MP eva's are beginning to generate the anti-at field.

So was the commander of the invading special forces unit aware of SEELE's plan and sympathised with them?

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:59 am

I think you're reading too much into that; I would expect that that he was told that NERV was trying to instigate 3I (probably just told him "It's like 2I, only worse"), and that they (the army) need to prevent that by any means necessary, and he realizes here that the mission (the "prevent" part) has failed.

Also: ASPECT RATIO! :|

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Shin-seiki's explanation is probably the best one at explaining both the army's orders and motivation. In fact, the very same story was spun to the Prime Minister earlier in #25'. And to be honest, we still don't know how large an element of truth there was to the charge that Gendou wanted to initiate Third Impact.

I always too the commanders look and words as the resigned look of a professional facing death(The Captain in Xenogears anyone?). If Anno wanted to be more cliched, I suppose he could have had him take a puff of a cigar or something.

I only spotted the second soldiers grin recently and I honestly have no idea what he's so happy about. Maybe he just likes the pretty light show. We're open to suggestions.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Of course they weren't. The Spec Ops were killing NERV because they were told that they planned to kill humanity. SEELE is...uh...planning to do WORSE.

As for the smiling fucker, maybe he doesn't understand what's going on and thinks the Evas are exploding.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 pm

its not a smiley, its just a monalisa effect.
ANATA BAKA !?

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 pm

I always thought it was a nervous smile: these guys might be hardened soldiers, but they've probably never seen anything like the stuff that's going down in front of them...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:48 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Maybe he just likes the pretty light show.
This is basically what I thought. I wouldn't blame him; that had to be the most awesome part of the whole friggin series.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:58 am

Everybody else fielded the original question nicely, so I don't have much to add there.

Though I somehow missed that officer's smile til now, my guess is it was a nervous smile/in awe of what was happening.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 am

I think the smiling guy is having a cliche "so this is end, huh?" type moments and he's looking back on the good times in his life.

Maybe? :shrug:
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:44 am

AVman9 wrote:I think the smiling guy is having a cliche "so this is end, huh?" type moments and he's looking back on the good times in his life.

Maybe? :shrug:

Be nice to see someone who has a good attitude about Third Impact, but I doubt it. Remember, at this point basically nobody outside SEELE, Gendou, Fuyutsuki and the Bunnies had any real idea what was going on above the Geofront. When the Series cause the GIGANTIC FUCKING JAPAN-DESTROYING EXPLOSION a few minutes later, the UN commander states the obvious, that they've failed. Well, presumably he had enough smarts to realize that gigantic Japan-destroying explosions equaled a Fission Mailed. But at that time, I don't think he had any idea what was going on. Nor did anyone.

(Incidentally, it seems rather odd that by End of Evangelion, all pretense that the Second Impact was caused by a meteor is completely discarded. Suddenly, everyone seems to know that Second Impact is a human-caused, repeatable phenomenon, and that NERV has a definite plan for repeating it. You have to wonder what the Prime Minister figured was going on when he was told that NERV were planning to cause another Second Impact: what, did they build an orbital meteorite gun or something?)
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Fixed?

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img684.imageshack.us/i/eva1.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Apologies for MS paint shop.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Yes, it's very fitting in an amusing way.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Definitely not, though once the commander saw the Unit-01/Harpy clusterfuck, he knew it was over.

trident
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby trident » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:33 am

Incidentally, it seems rather odd that by End of Evangelion, all pretense that the Second Impact was caused by a meteor is completely discarded.

Governments of stronger countries by that time are more or less aware that meteor is a lie. JSSDF officers receive some knowledge together with orders.
"To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat." - J

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Smile guy probably thought the MP Eva's were performing their finishing move or something.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”