Shinji & Rei in Q/3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Ayanami........ :kensuke_drool:

Any chance there is to post cosplay pics, I'ma take it.
http://pshbling.deviantart.com/art/Rei-Ayanami-130455561

That is a very interesting picture, since 2.0 everyone feels Shinji is total GAR but we will see. Being manly enough will cause TI.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Aura: There's also Rei's Scenario in Eva2 (game Anno worked on), and clearing her scenario (getting her Best End) has Rei suiciding inside Lilith.

I'm not saying Rebuild can't have a happy ending, I hope it does.

What I am saying is Rei and by extension Kaworu are tragic characters, and I don't see Rebuild changing that. (Incidently, Kaworu's Best End in Eva2 involves him leaving Earth for a new planet along with the Evas, (possibly the Angels too), and a FAR member that took on his appearance.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Aura: There's also Rei's Scenario in Eva2 (game Anno worked on), and clearing her scenario (getting her Best End) has Rei suiciding inside Lilith.

Anno didn't work on the game nearly as in-depth as you seem to give him credit for, just FYI.

Not to mention that much of Eva2 is just off the walls ball-crazy.

(Incidently, Kaworu's Best End in Eva2 involves him leaving Earth for a new planet along with the Evas, (possibly the Angels too), and a FAR member that took on his appearance.)

Like this shit.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 pm

He's credited for the events engine, not just the CI. But regardless of how involved he was, Rei's game end at least seems in-character for her (given that you're playing as Rei 2 through her path, no Rei 3 or anything like that). :shrug:

But yeah, I'd love to see a happy Rebuild end for Rei (as in she physically lives, not just spiritually like EoE), though I wonder what it would entail other than kicking Gendo's balls. :P

Her living something of a normal school life and smiling more, I guess??

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Having Rei live happily ever after would feel as forced as that alternate ending tacked onto King Lear in the 17th century where he saves Cordelia from the hangmen using his kung fu skills. (Yes, that exists.)

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Lucretius wrote:
Having Rei live happily ever after would feel as forced as that alternate ending tacked onto King Lear in the 17th century where he saves Cordelia from the hangmen using his kung fu skills. (Yes, that exists.) :shrug:

He went medieval on their asses! :rimshot:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Lucretius wrote:Having Rei live happily ever after would feel as forced as that alternate ending tacked onto King Lear in the 17th century where he saves Cordelia from the hangmen using his kung fu skills. (Yes, that exists.)

well...I think it can work, it'll just be very difficult to pull off correctly
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

QTCHR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby QTCHR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:14 am

GasmaskAvenger wrote:
Lucretius wrote:Having Rei live happily ever after would feel as forced as that alternate ending tacked onto King Lear in the 17th century where he saves Cordelia from the hangmen using his kung fu skills. (Yes, that exists.)

well...I think it can work, it'll just be very difficult to pull off correctly

well then we just gotta suspend our disbeliefs no (and by suspend i mean restrain ourselves, cringe, writhe, annnd twitch uncontrollably)? n,n. its just weve grown up to one ending we arnt open to another, but why the skewed perspective? in the original series if it went down the happy path would we still be having this conversation albeit in a flipped manner?

I mean look at Asuka. are you happy with the changes done to Asuka? is that even Asuka?! or... it could be a clone... yes.....

which also begs the question, if it did end in a happy manner will die hard fans scream blasphemy? or will they all sing how masterfully rebuild was done, in that they didnt see that coming

U want to go shakespeare?! Is there method to Anno's madness?!!
Last edited by QTCHR on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:40 am

I haven't watched all of the camrip of 2.0, but Asuka never was one of my favorites in the original series (I just read the manga & I actually prefer its version of Asuka over the original series Asuka)

like I said..an happy ending in which everything is fine & Rei gets to live can be done, but in a way that perfectly makes sense & also feels like the cast had "Earned" a happy outcome
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 am

Actually, I can see it pretty easily. Probably something bitter-sweet or something, but not quite so bitter as to require Rei's physical death (or one that sticks, atleast).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:47 am

Regarding the cast: none of them feel like different people to me (except for Mari who's well, new). They might be more open about their feelings (Asuka and Rei), but not so much that they're ZOMG different characters altogether like some people claim.

Aura: I'm curious, do you think a bittersweet end for Rei will involve Shinji or Kaworu? In what manner, if so?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:49 am

Possibly Rei going Yui sama and flying off into space? Or reincarnation without Yui's DNA or Lilliths ala your CYOA? I say we leave it in Anno's hands.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:45 am

QTCHR wrote:What I asked was based on previous knowledge and knowing the outcome in the original series and contrasting it with the rebuild series to speculate the likelihood of such events occurring within the rebuild series and not confining it to the lore of evangelion.

Well, the fact that we can only specualte about things like this shows that no one on the forums has a definitive answer: i mean, who's to say that just because 2.0 was all happy and Wheee!, things can't take a trun for the seriously worse in 3.0/4.0?

Trying to contrast what was shown in Rebuild so far with the original series can't possibly tell us what is to come, cause we just don't know. In fact, i think one of the great attractions of 2.0 is that with the way things played out in it, almost anything is possible in the sequels.

AuraTwilight wrote:I do imagine the two Rei-parts merged together after Unit 00 was nomnommed, and it's pretty clear she's devoted herself to Shinji. There may still be some allegience to Gendo, but as far as I can see, Shinji's the clear winner.

IMHO, things are not that clear: she is still clinging to Shinji's S-DAT by the end, something that was given to Shinji by Gendo.

Hell, Shinji even states that "He threw it away, just like me and i hate him and WAAH!", yet Rei still takes it back to him. Even the composition of the image of Shinji and Rei embracing hints at things not being all clear on the Shinji vs. Gendo front: Rei holds the tape player behind her back, like something she doesn't want for Shinji to see, yet is still valuable to her.

Well, that's my speculation, and i think it could make for some pretty compelling drama if there was still a battle raging in Rei's heart between father and son, or if she at least thought that things could still be mended between them.

Also, another thing: the workings and rules of the universe have been changed around a lot in Rebuild, but as far as we know, if Instrumentality is still to take place in some form or another, Rei has to be at least freed from the shackles of physicality (that's a real word). That doesn't automatically exclude a return to human form for her too and whatnot, but i think it would be just more conclusive if that didn't happen.

Must... read...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Aura: I'm curious, do you think a bittersweet end for Rei will involve Shinji or Kaworu? In what manner, if so?

I can think of a few possible scenarios. If you want to take Kaworu's dialog to it's absolute most benevolent and optimistic extreme, maybe he'll use his powers to save Rei's life, sacrificing himself heroically for Shinji's happiness. That's only the silliest scenario that comes to mind though.

IMHO, things are not that clear: she is still clinging to Shinji's S-DAT by the end, something that was given to Shinji by Gendo.

Hell, Shinji even states that "He threw it away, just like me and i hate him and WAAH!", yet Rei still takes it back to him. Even the composition of the image of Shinji and Rei embracing hints at things not being all clear on the Shinji vs. Gendo front: Rei holds the tape player behind her back, like something she doesn't want for Shinji to see, yet is still valuable to her.

Well, that's my speculation, and i think it could make for some pretty compelling drama if there was still a battle raging in Rei's heart between father and son, or if she at least thought that things could still be mended between them.

The SDAT isn't being hidden from Shinji's view when the audience sees it, and I can't find it when the two are embracing. Considering the dialog they had before, either A) The SDAT represents her devotion to Gendo, her own shield against the world, which she abandoned for Shinji, or B) Her association with it is a connection between them, meaning Rei wants to be Shinji's pillar of support and sanctuary against a ruthless world.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am

Given Rei's personality, B sounds most likely to me (though I wouldn't be surprised if she has some internal or external conflict of father and son before Shinji "wins" out).

Also, the SDAT is shown when Shinji huggles :tongue: teh Rei, though I forget if they're both holding it or what. I'll screencap it today.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:11 pm

I've also considered that maybe her holding it after the conversation over the SDAT could represent that Rei's always thinking about Shinji, which is very much true.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Crappy camrip powers, activate! (I can't wait for a DVD/Blu-Rip-rip. Also, skimming through the 3I weirdness just hit the point home that 2.0 is fucking WEIRD, but it's not Eva if it isn't. :wink: )

Right when Shinji is spiritually grabbing teh Rei:

As Shinji starts hugging Rei:

Rei's just holding onto the SDAT with her hand facing backwards, it's not that she's hiding it from him. Also, kinda interesting how Rei isn't hugging Shinji back, it wouldn't be that hard a feat just because she's holding the SDAT. >_> I'd find it hard to believe Rei wouldn't know what a hug is, but maybe she doesn't (or somehow doesn't understand the concept of kindness/physical closeness? Idunnolol) or she's in shock he saved her, or...well who knows what.

Anyway something interesting I noticed during the viewing of that scene is right after Shinji says "It's alright like this", it almost looks (hard to completely tell given the crappy camrip) that Shinji and Rei are fading away. Guess they really are absorbed by Eva since that's what the Q Preview mentions.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:59 pm

The no hugging thing is probably for the same reason she doesn't immediately reach for Shinji. Most likely reason? Her lack of self worth and self identity, IMO. Hugging is something two people do.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 am

Good point. I seriously hope this means Rei will be actually shown in Q or Final as accepting her dual roles (instead of just the implication she does, such as only with Lilith in EoE by maintaining her form as Rei).

Wait and see, I guess.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 am

I don't think Rei can have dual roles. That's one of the tragedies of her character. By the time she truly opens up and cares about someone, it's too late for her to have a relationship with that person...

I honestly expect Final to involve a tearful farewell between her and Shinji, before she goes off to be a bodiless god and he goes off to be a creepy dude on a beach.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”