Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Trying to start Robotech... and my head hurts

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:24 pm

So looking into robotech, it's actually three different anime series edited into one franchise. And things like Macross are not really robotech but instead are one of the orginal series that robotech was made from?

so where should i start? should i watch robotech or the three separate series?

Macross vs. Robotech
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 pm

should you watch original work or localized bastardized crap that only has its supporters due to nostalgia factor?

:hohum:
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Xard wrote:should you watch original work or localized bastardized crap that only has its supporters due to nostalgia factor?

:hohum:

good point, because all of the people i talk to tell me something to the effect of: "Robotechs characters where good and the story was good"

maybe its just because i want to see what made people like robotech. When i found out (today) robotech was super westernized anime it made me mad though.

Macross +1
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.

schismatics
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 pm

I've only seen a few episodes of Robotech.

The dub was soo entertaining that I couldn't finish watching the series. ^_^

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Definitely Macross. Things blow up every episode and the romance is asinine. Robotech is... well, :facepalm:
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm

I had to sit through some Robotech at the campus anime club once.

I saw some horrible shit in my time there, but little of it was worse than that.

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:09 pm

yeah, seriously

yay Macorossu

boo Robotechies
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 pm

I liked Robotech. For "localized bastardized crap" it wasn't all that bad.

Verbal beatdown begins in 3... 2... 1!!!
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Robotech/Macross is old and boring.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Holy Diver wrote:I liked Robotech. For "localized bastardized crap" it wasn't all that bad.

IMO, this desu.

Also, if you watch Macross, stick with the Do You Remember Love? Movie. It's EPIC.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:28 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Robotech/Macross is old and boring.

The aliens aren't very threatening and the romantic parts are annoying. I can see why you think that.
Last edited by Rabid-Sachiel on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm

You should watch the originals. Robotech doesn't work very well, especially in the second and third "seasons" when they try to shoehorn Southern Cross and Mospeda into the Macross continuity.

The effect is similar to what you would get if you re-dubbed Star Trek to make it into a Lost in Space sequel, and put in a bunch of phoney conversations in every episode about how Dr. Smith was Dr. McCoy's grandfather or Will Robinson founded Starfleet.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Holy Diver wrote:I liked Robotech. For "localized bastardized crap" it wasn't all that bad.

IMO, this desu.

Also, if you watch Macross, stick with the Do You Remember Love? Movie. It's EPIC.

QFMFT

I'm still amazed how great film it was, remembering its age and way it had to tell story of well over 20 eps in feature film lenght... and Ai Oboete Imasuka is simply best song ever written for anime. And it's still visually impressive as hell.

If it wasn't for Nausicaä I'd say it is easily greatest pre-Ghibli anime film I've seen.

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:51 am

:resurrect:

I just finished watching Macross Frontier, I haven't wwatched anything else Macross except Macross Plus before. I felt they were constantly making refrences to the older macross series. I really like the series and it is the first time Ive enjoyed some Jpop. Is the guy who own Macross F (the guyeswith the big ring) a Zentradi? and if so is he a older character from another Macross series.

basically, who else loved this show! or didnt
My Anime List

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:45 pm

View Original PostEvaCub wrote:I just finished watching Macross Frontier, I haven't wwatched anything else Macross except Macross Plus before. I felt they were constantly making refrences to the older macross series.

That's because they were. Although getting the references is not crucial for understanding Frontier's story, they really add a lot of depth to it. And then there is some Kawamori cockteasing as well: when the Vajra are folding out all over the human-inhabited parts of the galaxy, we are shown many interesting locales, but not the ones we might expect to see.

Also, I'd like to add that if you have plenty of time at your disposal, then by all means watch the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series. Do You Remember Love is a summer blockbuster kind of condensation/adaptation of its plot, and ideally you should watch them both, because supposedly "the true Macross canon" lies somewhere in between.

EDIT: Furthermore, it should probably be mentioned that a lot of this Robotech hate that can be witnessed around the internet mostly stems from the fucked-up business practices of Harmony Gold and Carl Macek's legacy to US anime licensing industry, and not so much from Robotech being such a terrible adaptation. (Supposedly - I haven't personally seen Robotech, and I don't intend to.) Harmony Gold is like the closest thing to a supervillain in the world of western anime licensing. I've heard they've even sent C&D letters to individuals who dared to import Macross toys.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 am

I loved Robotech as a kid, but looking back, it was kind of shitty. Go with Macross.

Beavis of Nazareth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Beavis of Nazareth » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:IMO, this desu.

I would advice against this actually, the movie is a visual masterpiece but it barely explains the plot at all from where it begins. And of course the show is more fleshed out. It's an even more satisfying experience after you've seen the TV series.

SDF Macross is one of my favorite shows of all time, I've yet to actually watch the sequels though because I've heard a lot of mixed/negative things about them.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:04 am

Watching old influential mecha shows is kind of boring.

Since newer shows already copied stuff from them and the innovation they had is just gone.

Gunbuster is still good though.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 am

I waded through and, in the end, thoroughly enjoyed Macross. While DYRL? is a thousand steps up visually, I wasn't terribly impressed with it otherwise. See the series if you can.

I've never really had the desire to get into Robotech, but I did check out the first few episodes. The experience felt so redundant to Macross that any differences down the line didn't seem worth pursuing. The claim by anyone that a hodgepodge could be more entertaining than very in any fashion except ironically is questionable at the very least, but I didn't care to question for very long.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Watch Gundam.

legs it
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB