Gendo's Reaction

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

gerry_dgk
Embryo

Gendo's Reaction

•      
  •      

Postby gerry_dgk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Remember when Gendo opened the super heated hatch in order to save Rei. I had this questioned asked to me. Why did he go to save her if he could just rebuild her??

I want your thoughts and the reasons you think.

Hahaha yeah just clone her or whatever.

I said rebuild cause in the chamber when Ritsuko took Shinji too see the truth he called the others spare parts.
Last edited by gerry_dgk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is that what you call a get away? Tell me what you got away with, cause I've sen more spine in Jelly fish. I've Seen More Guts on 11 year old kids. Have Another drink and drive yourself home. I Hope there's Ice out on the road and you can think of me when you forget your seat belt again when head goes through the windshield.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gerry_dgk
My Eva Collection
http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/gerry_dgk/?action=view&current=100_0738.jpg

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Gendo's Reaction

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:44 pm

gerry_dgk wrote:Why did he go to save her if he could just rebuild her??

Have her replaced not rebuild her.

I want your thoughts and the reasons you think.

Because Gendo probably saw her as a daughter and at the time had more of a connection to her.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

if she was rebuilt... :cringe:

that would be some freaky frankenstein crap there
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

he cares about her. i don't remember exactly but when she ran in one-armed with an N2 mine was he upset about it?
I have no signature!

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm

On a less pet the dog view, she was possibly the only viable pilot at the time (depending on how he considered Asuka and if he planned to use Shinj from the beginning)
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Gendo saved her because he cares about her. If he didn’t care there’s no way he would have burned his hands to save her.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3417

superfreak110
Embryo

Gendos reaction

•      
  •      

Postby superfreak110 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm

When Gendo opened that hatch he also most likely saw Rei as 1. his wife because she is more or less a clone of Yui and 2. She was the key to the Instrumentality project in the End of Evangelion.
SF110

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Gendos reaction

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:55 pm

superfreak110 wrote:1. his wife because she is more or less a clone of Yui and 2. She was the key to the Instrumentality project in the End of Evangelion.

1.) Is a clone. Not more or less.
2.) Gendo saved Rei II who died later in the series. Rei III was in EoE.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Gendo saved Rei to keep Lilith's soul aligned with him and his own plan for Third Impact. There is also the fact that Rei is the salvaged remains of Yui.

questforsteve
Embryo

Re: Gendos reaction

•      
  •      

Postby questforsteve » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:12 pm

superfreak110 wrote: 2. She was the key to the Instrumentality project in the End of Evangelion.

Remember, there is a huge tank of soulless Reis under NERV hq surrounding the core of the Dummy Plug system (in Central Dogma if i'm not mistaken). If the Rei in the plug died, her "soul" would somehow be transferred (if not in full, then at least in part) to one of the other Reis. No particular Rei has full power over how mankind will be either destroyed or reborn. She can only create 3I if she is allowed to merge with Adam. Without Adam, Rei is just a humanoid angel (like Kaworu) who has no control over the fate of man.

I would argue that Rei herself is not neccessary need to exist. She just made it simpler for Gendo to merge Adam with Lilith while also allowing him to remember what Yui looks like. As long as Lilith stays dormant and in one piece behind Heaven's Door in Terminal Dogma, Gendo just has to somehow get a few hundred feet up and merge the two angels. It is simpler to just have a human sized clone of the original who can merge with Adam then ultimately re-enter her original body and complete the cycle without the risk of people getting suspicious as to why the commander had a really big lift installed 2005(ish) meters under NERV hq.

:emogendo:
yes

http://www.facebook.com/stephen.mahaffey

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Gendo has feelings too. At this particular moment, his emotions for both Rei and what she represented kicked in. Just because he's a douche doesn't mean that he's one all the time. Besides, it must be a pain in the ass to go through the process of replacing the soul into another body.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

questforsteve
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby questforsteve » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Sachi wrote:Gendo has feelings too. At this particular moment, his emotions for both Rei and what she represented kicked in. Just because he's a douche doesn't mean that he's one all the time. Besides, it must be a pain in the ass to go through the process of replacing the soul into another body.

A very good point indeed, sir. I had thought about that "getting caught in the moment" idealism for some time myself and still consider it a viable way to explain his reaction. As for moving the souls, yes it probably is hard, but I don't know, I've never tried; and hopefully niether have any of you readers. That would be kind of creepy.
Last edited by questforsteve on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yes

http://www.facebook.com/stephen.mahaffey

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 pm

questforsteve wrote:A very good point indeed, sir. I had thought about that "getting caught in the moment" idealism idealism for some time myself and still consider it a viable way to explain his reaction. As for moving the souls, yes it probably is hard, but I don't know, I've never tried; and hopefully niether have any of you readers. That would be kind of creepy.

-o-; Yeah...about that....Guys, I think he's on to us....
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

gerry_dgk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gerry_dgk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:42 am

This has gotten pretty deep. Maybe should have gone into discussion instead. But bravo all of you. And I too maybe his feelings leaked out a little and he got caught up in the moment
Is that what you call a get away? Tell me what you got away with, cause I've sen more spine in Jelly fish. I've Seen More Guts on 11 year old kids. Have Another drink and drive yourself home. I Hope there's Ice out on the road and you can think of me when you forget your seat belt again when head goes through the windshield.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gerry_dgk
My Eva Collection
http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/gerry_dgk/?action=view&current=100_0738.jpg

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

He needed an excuse to wear gloves, duh. The "Hellsing cosplay" excuse wasn't going to cut it.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:04 am

Why cant people shrug off the fact that he just did it out of impulse? I am so very very doubtful they thought at that point of the whole adam-embryo-grafted-into-hand-to-fondle-Rei.
Or that he didn't actually care for Rei, he was just trying to do something drastic in order to gain her unconditional trust.

Not everything in the show has to have reasoning behind it. This is one of those cases imo.

zilluss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zilluss » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:46 am

I think it's because the relationship between the two is not within the soul but within Rei II. Thus, the new Rei would be a "known stranger" to Gendo.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

toe mash wrote:Why cant people shrug off the fact that he just did it out of impulse? I am so very very doubtful they thought at that point of the whole adam-embryo-grafted-into-hand-to-fondle-Rei.
Or that he didn't actually care for Rei, he was just trying to do something drastic in order to gain her unconditional trust.

Not everything in the show has to have reasoning behind it. This is one of those cases imo.

Given how often Anno focuses on hands as symbolic of free will, I think it's supposed to be pretty telling that Gendou's hands are covered for the majority of the series.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:17 am

Given how often Anno focuses on hands as symbolic of free will, I think it's supposed to be pretty telling that Gendou's hands are covered for the majority of the series.

I might of been misleading a bit there. The fact Gendo's hands are covered can have any symbolic meaning you wish, but he doesn't need that big of a reason to cover them up.

As in, in a fraction of a second of seeing the person that is the clone of his wife/the only pilot they had for time being/almost his daughter nearly dying and think "hey! I should totally take this opportunity to severely burn my friggin hands so I won't get curious looks for my questionable fashion choice!"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”