How did Kaworu become so popular?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

How did Kaworu become so popular?

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

This is a character that got as much screentime as Jet Alone. But from the merchandising, there would be no way you'd think that. For such a minor character, he sure has gotten a lot of emphasis placed on him with the manga, GoSII, and now, Rebuild.

So what exactly did people see in him? I guess I would know, since when I first read about Kaworu, I was like, "I know I'd like him." I guess his calm demeanor is really appealing, as well as self-sacrifice and trust stuff. It must be universally liked.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

i think hopeless, obese yaoi fangirls make up a large percentage of fans.

i like him though, one of my favourite characters. i have reasons why i like him but i can't be bothered doing a mini psycho-analysis in order to list them
I have no signature!

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:58 pm

He's mysterious, hot, and makes Shinji look like a shy young girl. :boingy:
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:06 pm

I have no idea.
But the above post makes Mongoosdog's theory possibly true...
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I have no idea.
But Mongoosdog's theory is true...

edited for the truth. ^_^ he was an interesting character though, and i guess he became big because he was one of the pilots. but mainly the fat yaoi fangirl theory fits.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I really love Sadamoto's take on Kaworu, but the series iteration of him didn't leave as much of an impression on me. I think manga Kaworu is interesting because of his amorality. He's not deliberately malicious, but basic human emotions are completely foreign to him, and not in a cute Mr. Spock sort of way. He thinks nothing of snapping a kitten's neck or calling Rei a "fool" after she kills herself to save Shinji. He wants to use Shinji to feel human emotions, but they aren't forthcoming. When he dies, he's nearly as alien as he was when he was introduced.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm sure people like Kaworu for multiple reasons, and not just because he'd make a yaoi manga with Shinji.

Hopefully.

But I did get a feeling that Anno wanted us to think of Kaworu as enchanting. He did keep smiling all the damn time. I'll wait for the harder hitting people to jump in here.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Kaworu's bizzare wierdness is probably what attracts people's attention. He's just so abnormal.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Just my take, but Kaworu stands out from the rest of the Angels because he passes as one of us, so we the viewer relate to him more than the others, since they at best only look vaguely human.

Plus, he's pretty damn cute, so couple that with his mysteriousness...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Well to start of it does have to do with the ambiguity that surrounds, Kaworu, he also was a novel way to characterise the angels.
Natsuka_Chie wrote:He's mysterious, hot, and makes Shinji look like a shy young girl. :boingy:
^_^ Why not looks always help, and it wouldn’t be wrong to say that Kaworu’s Kakkoii personality complements Shinji’s moeish/uke one. The same goes for their looks. Oh and it also helps that Gainax had some rather interesting back stories thought up for him"bishonen with cat"...That and it’s kind of fun to see how Tabby-kun has a habit of getting Shin-chan emotional.
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=DSC054041.jpg]Image[/URL]
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Yes Shin/Tabby certainly does have a good deal of Yaoi potential IMO. :shinji_blush: BTW, Synaps, those pics Image are they from fanfics/doujins/products somewhere? :drool:

EDIT: They look like they might come from SIRP? :think:
Last edited by Great Genius Shinji-Sama on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm

how cute, though the Ritsuko one just comes out of nowhere
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Kaworu embodies unconditional love and acceptance. I don't know if that's what made him popular, but that's why I like him.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Yes Shin/Tabby certainly does have a good deal of Yaoi potential IMO. :shinji_blush: BTW, Synaps, those pics http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/12122807003591.jpg are they from fanfics/doujins/products somewhere? :drool:

EDIT: They look like they might come from SIRP? :think:
That's right It's from the ISIK promo, to my knowledge a fair amount of gainax material done outside of the game by the artist do existI think they did the kitty image. Their strategy guide was also supposed to have artwork in it

And yes it wouldn't be wrong to say that Kaworu brings out very interesting responses out of others, whether it's Shinji, or the audience. ;)
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Can you help me cut out the Ritsuko/Shinji part and make fit the parameters for an Avvie?

EIDT: Ill use it later :sweatdrop: I decided to stick with the Shinjiquarium again ^_^

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 am

My theory about Kaworu's popularity is the same one behind Rei's popularity; these characters - especially compared with the others in the show - are mysterious, blank canvasses on which the audience can project all of their fantasies on and, essentially, "fill in the blanks". It's not that they aren't given adequate characterization (especially Rei), but they are certainly much more abstract and symbolic than the rest of the cast. Plus, there's the whole sexually ambiguous nature behind both of them which definitely appeals to horny anime fans and fanfic writers.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 am

@Shinji
Give me a little while, and I'll have it done(I'm probably sick but the idea of Ritsuko molesting Shinji to get revenge against Gendo is a rather interesting one), but this thread is supposed to be about our enigmatic cat boy (the silver one of course), and why everyone loves him :shinji_blush:
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=Kaworu_prototype1.png]Image[/URL](Shito no Nyanko-kun?)
@Eva Yojimbo
And what we do find of his background has an apeal to some fans. ^_^

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Lucretius wrote:I really love Sadamoto's take on Kaworu, but the series iteration of him didn't leave as much of an impression on me. I think manga Kaworu is interesting because of his amorality. He's not deliberately malicious, but basic human emotions are completely foreign to him, and not in a cute Mr. Spock sort of way. He thinks nothing of snapping a kitten's neck or calling Rei a "fool" after she kills herself to save Shinji. He wants to use Shinji to feel human emotions, but they aren't forthcoming. When he dies, he's nearly as alien as he was when he was introduced.

I hate EMK and found the way K/S was handled in manga utter storytelling disaster (I stopped reading manga pretty soon after Kaworu had been killed. The Asuka strangling Shinji shit not to mention LOLNEO-Gendo certainly doesn't make rest of Sadamoto's recent efforts look any better) but I loved the trolling Sadamoto pulled with how he handled Kaworu :lol:

Whole thing was from very start was enormous shitting project on yaoi fans.

it was pretty hilarious

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Xard wrote: Whole thing was from very start was enormous shitting project on yaoi fans.

it was pretty hilarious
I disagree, if anything the more conflicted relation played to them(I don't mean the inclusion of the Piano though) Kaworu was blatantly in love with Shin-chan, read and watched crappy romance stuff and then tried to act them out on Shin, by nearly violating him at night, and then basically saying that he wanted Shin to love him, and in the end he forces Shinji to remember him, by having his kitty kill him with his bare hands(a suicide of sorts). Shinji himself was also interesting, he did seem to be rather homophobic and repelled by Kaworu's lack of empathy(Kaworu seemed rather glad to have the other pilots out of the way), but in the end it turned out that Shinji was rather attracted to him keeping with the Manga version's tsundere theme.
I certanly think it was a nice contrast to the more passive/peaceful relation they had in the anime.
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=61111061.jpg]Image[/URL]

Boredom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Boredom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm

I went to a couple of stores, I was disapoint at the lack of Kaworu figures. but that's just me
.:The Eternal Dream of Sound:.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”