Why the hell pick mentally unstable people to save Earth?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Why the hell pick mentally unstable people to save Earth?

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Seriously, Shinji's mom died and his father abandoned him so he has some serious problems, Asuka's mom didn't think she was her daughter and committed suicide, giving Asuka some serious problems, and Rei, well she's problem free besides the fact she's
SPOILER: Show
a clone
, and Kaworu is an Angel (seriously who lets their enemy pilot whats supposed to kill them).
Why did they not give them some form of metal examination before letting them pilot multi-billion dollars worth of equipment that could destroy the world? I know they were desperate and all but really?
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Lucretius
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1398
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Italy, EU
Gender: Male

Postby Lucretius » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 pm

:rei_meh:

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4900
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Re: Why the hell pick mentally unstable people to save Earth

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:54 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:Seriously, Shinji's mom died

Image That's the reason, her soul is in the Eva, the same to Asuka and -02, and they knew this, at least the people making the descisions about all of it.

UltraBlackPilot wrote:Why did they not give them some form of metal examination before letting them pilot multi-billion dollars worth of equipment that could destroy the world?

NERV heads likely thought that this way they would be easier to influence and direct, Misato herself certiantly makes note of how she "uses" Shinji in this way.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:04 pm

That's the reason, her soul is in the Eva, the same to Asuka and -02, and they knew this, at least the people making the descisions about all of it.


They would have had less problems if someone else had piloted Eva, not only Shinji could pilot Unit 01 he was just the best at it, and even Asuka became unable to pilot her Eva and was replaced. so regardless of the soul in its hinted at that they could at any given time replace the pilot of any given Eva at any time with any qualified person unrelated to the soul of the Eva.

NERV heads likely thought that this way they would be easier to influence and direct, Misato herself certiantly makes note of how she "uses" Shinji in this way.


That usage of Shinji Led to him quiting twice, Him nearly destroying HQ, the near destruction of all life, and Eva being awakened.
Nerv really knows how to use people.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3392
Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Location: Ultra Hell
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:
That's the reason, her soul is in the Eva, the same to Asuka and -02, and they knew this, at least the people making the descisions about all of it.


They would have had less problems if someone else had piloted Eva, not only Shinji could pilot Unit 01 he was just the best at it, and even Asuka became unable to pilot her Eva and was replaced. so regardless of the soul in its hinted at that they could at any given time replace the pilot of any given Eva at any time with any qualified person unrelated to the soul of the Eva.

Uhhhh.....nope.

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:09 pm

esselfortium wrote:
UltraBlackPilot wrote:
That's the reason, her soul is in the Eva, the same to Asuka and -02, and they knew this, at least the people making the descisions about all of it.


They would have had less problems if someone else had piloted Eva, not only Shinji could pilot Unit 01 he was just the best at it, and even Asuka became unable to pilot her Eva and was replaced. so regardless of the soul in its hinted at that they could at any given time replace the pilot of any given Eva at any time with any qualified person unrelated to the soul of the Eva.

Uhhhh.....nope.


How do you explain Rei having synced to unit 01 before then.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3392
Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Location: Ultra Hell
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Because Rei is about as closely related to Unit 01's soul (Yui Ikari) as Shinji is. There's a reason why the cross-compatibility testing only included Rei and Shinji, while Asuka stayed in Unit 02.

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 pm

esselfortium wrote:Because Rei is about as closely related to Unit 01's soul (Yui Ikari) as Shinji is. There's a reason why the cross-compatibility testing only included Rei and Shinji, while Asuka stayed in Unit 02.


Ah... that makes sense I thought they just wanted Asuka not to through a fit in side an Eva she couldn't control, that makes much more sense.

Then Why couldn't Gendo Pilot then, he seems more stable then Shinji or Rei and wouldn't quit? and what about Unit 00, 03, and 04 souls? and there's alway the kill happy completely mentally stable Dummy Plug, that worked every time the used it, I think but don't add that part in the quote cuz I'm not sure about it.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4900
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:26 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:
That's the reason, her soul is in the Eva, the same to Asuka and -02, and they knew this, at least the people making the descisions about all of it.


They would have had less problems if someone else had piloted Eva, not only Shinji could pilot Unit 01 he was just the best at it,

Yes, they couldn't, not to the same affect, he was the most compatible, and they considered getting EVA-01 to work a long shot to begin with, hence the nickname “09” or “oni” system. Rei herself had already been hurt by EVA-01 before the series began in trying to turn it on, that's what gave her the injuries we saw.

UltraBlackPilot wrote:and even Asuka became unable to pilot her Eva and was replaced.
so regardless of the soul in its hinted

No, Kawrou was an angel whom possessed the Eva, controlling it by means they couldn't even entirely understand, he is the exception that proves the rule.

At that point, only those whom had grown accustomed to Evas could pilot them, the fact the Dummy plug refused to work is proof of this, and that Rei was rejected by EVA-01, and Shinji by EVA-00.

UltraBlackPilot wrote:That usage of Shinji Led to him quiting twice, Him nearly destroying HQ, the near destruction of all life, and Eva being awakened.
Nerv really knows how to use people.

I never said they were completely successful, I'm saying that was their logic. :coffee:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:
UltraBlackPilot wrote:That usage of Shinji Led to him quiting twice, Him nearly destroying HQ, the near destruction of all life, and Eva being awakened.
Nerv really knows how to use people.

I never said they were completely successful, I'm saying that was their logic. :coffee:


if your not 100% sure you'll be successful why not try a more succesful path.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3392
Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Location: Ultra Hell
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Because no one else can pilot it? Bardiel in episode 18 was the only time they could successfully get Unit 01 to accept the dummy plug; when they tried again after Shinji left Nerv, Yui rejected it.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:if your not 100% sure you'll be successful why not try a more succesful path.


Such as... ?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4900
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:
UltraBlackPilot wrote:That usage of Shinji Led to him quiting twice, Him nearly destroying HQ, the near destruction of all life, and Eva being awakened.
Nerv really knows how to use people.

I never said they were completely successful, I'm saying that was their logic. :coffee:


if your not 100% sure you'll be successful why not try a more succesful path.

Again, after Shinji left in episode 19, they tried Rei, she was rejected, they tried the dummy plug, it was rejected, what other "path" was there? :hohum:
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm

NemZ wrote:Such as... ?


If Jet Alone hadn't been messed with it might have worked, or at least would have made the greatest explosive device ever, that huge ass rifle they used to kill Ramiel with all of japans power but automated, ACTUAL ROBOTS, Orbital Satellite Strikes, Eva instead of piloted with souls and humans why not just have made AI's like the dummy plug for them in the first place, and Chuck Norris.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 2777
Joined: Aug 11, 2009
Location: Owensboro,KY
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:44 pm

But it wasn't. Also the souls of the Evas except Unit 00 are the souls of the pilot's mothers. Which is why they go berserker. They also have free will and a mind of their own, which is why Unit 01 rejected both Rei and the DP. Plus I think it was Misato or ritsuko one who said in an episode I forgot which one it is, that that was the reason why (but maybe not explicitly but they said it was the case) that only fourteen year old kids COULD pilot the Evangelions. :deadhorse:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 78
Posts: 129
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Location: My Prsedent is black and

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:48 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:But it wasn't. Also the souls of the Evas except Unit 00 are the souls of the pilot's mothers. Which is why they go berserker. They also have free will and a mind of their own, which is why Unit 01 rejected both Rei and the DP. Plus I think it was Misato or ritsuko one who said in an episode I forgot which one it is, that that was the reason why (but maybe not explicitly but they said it was the case) that only fourteen year old kids COULD pilot the Evangelions. :deadhorse:


Why the hell give it a mind of its own, being as smart as they were they had to know it would think and therefore do something it wanted but they didn't, I think I remember Ritsuko saying something like that too, I why didnt they just start out with the dummy plug?

Why does no one agree with me?
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

Postby DatDude » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Probably some one trying say something by having children unprepared in one way or another carry the weight of the world.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:Why the hell give it a mind of its own
AT Field. Only a soul can produce an AT Field and therefor the Evas needed to be alive and have a soul in them to do so. Think of all the moments in NGE where it's the AT Field and AT Field alone that saves the Evas and pilots and/or defeats the Angel(s).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

esselfortium
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3392
Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Location: Ultra Hell
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:
NemZ wrote:Such as... ?


If Jet Alone hadn't been messed with it might have worked, or at least would have made the greatest explosive device ever, that huge ass rifle they used to kill Ramiel with all of japans power but automated, ACTUAL ROBOTS, Orbital Satellite Strikes, Eva instead of piloted with souls and humans why not just have made AI's like the dummy plug for them in the first place, and Chuck Norris.

No, it wouldn't. The ability of the Eva's resident soul to project its pilot's AT Field is the only thing that made it effective against the Angels. Without that, the Jet Alone would have had just as much success as all the missiles and other conventional weaponry deployed against, for example, Sachiel at the start of the first episode.

Jesterhead
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 19, 2009

Postby Jesterhead » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:57 pm

I agree with you that they would be better off using mentally stable pilots.

Although it just wasn't an option for them. The dummy plug system was barely operational at the one time that it successfully worked, so they still needed human pilots for the majority.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Melkor and 2 guests