Which character do you empathize with the most?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Which character do you empathize with the most?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Which character, in your opinion, do you feel you relate to the most?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Shinji
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:31 pm

I said in my Kinda Sorta Eva Magnum Opus that "...I was almost a perfect amalgamation of these characters. I was Shinji; quiet, afraid, so full of self-doubt and trepidation. I was also Asuka; so driven to be the best, to prove my worthiness at something."

I could probably have extended that to include all the characters, really, but Shinji and Asuka were the two I latched onto first.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Asuka.

I had thought early on that it would be Rei -- her behaviour in the dungeon crawl part of episode 11 mirrored mine in similar circumstances -- but come episode 16, it was Asuka's pain I felt most acutely, then and after.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Shinji, i always thought that the issues he had were the same as mine, even down to not being able to swim and using the excuse "humans wern't meant to float". but looking back it's hard to tell if i had the same issues as Shinji or if i just wanted them so i subconsciously got those problems as time passed.

now i empathise with most of the characters, not because i can share their experiences but because i understand their character and know what they would be feeling to some extent.

i still empathise most with Shinji
I have no signature!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:39 pm

I can relate to Shinji the most. Although I think I have been changing for the better just a little...
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Rei. Of all the charters she was the one I could most relate to. I understood the others well enough, but I just didn’t get the same gut level emotional reaction with them as I did with Rei.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:54 pm

It depends: if I'm having a bad day, I empathize with Shinji more (heck, I'm the rare person who wants to just hug the kid, wrap him up in a blanket, offer him some tea and cookies and tell him that if he needs someone to talk to, I'm there). If I'm feeling shy and withdrawn, I relate to Rei more. Most of the time, I relate to (yep!) Fuyutsuki: I have to work with my least favorite people on a day to day basis, and I'm still feeling the pain of a lost love, even after years have gone by...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 pm

I can relate most to Kaji's paranoia, but at the same time, I also relate to Fuyutsuki's apathy. I'd say that there are elements of Kaji's character that I kind of strive to incorporate into myself (i.e. his eloquence, his cool, and his sortaconfidence).

So I guess I relate most to Shigeru Aoba, since what little charactarization he's given is that of a hard-boiled film-noir nihilist. Though that's only on bad days. On good days I'm just another uncool mundane Kaji-wannabe.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Shinji: he's the everyman in regards to how depression/anxiety can completely and utterly fuck you up.

EDIT: Also, Rei, in some manner. Not sure how to explain that.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Oh wait...
CyberXIII wrote:Which character, in your opinion, do you feel you relate to the most?

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6197
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 pm

hmmmm...well to be honest it's a combination of Fuyutski and Shinji.

Shinji because of all the teen angst (blargel no one understands me :bawl: ) and that he pretty much justifies running away.

Fuyutski - he's just kind of there, doing his own thing...which is pretty much what I do...

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:27 am

Rei I, she trolls scientists and doesn't afraid of anything

In all seriousness, probably Kensuke. He gets his priorities straight, even if they're a bit twisted by conventional standard.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

nyugvo6
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nyugvo6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:36 am

Shinji. I was really depressed at the time when I watched eva first, so I could understand him quite well.
one two, one two...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:47 am

So many Shinjis!

No wonder I feel like the odd one out so much of the time around here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 am

Some conglomeration of Gendo, Aoba, and Hyouga. actually, probably some Fuyutsuki too, and Kaji when gets 'stoner philosophical'.

Eh, I guess I empathize a bit with almost everyone, but certainly not exclusively to any one character. None of them is really 'me', but most of them are deep enough that I can relate to one facet or another. Aoba probably the most and Ritsuko the least, but a little bit of everyone.
Last edited by NemZ on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 am

Fuyutsuki, for more or less the same reasons MatrixRefugee said. Also, ironically, Asuka (to some degree, anyway), mainly because of an explosive temper, a burning desire to be the fucking BEST, and brief periods of hopelessness when I end up not being the fucking BEST.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am

don't worry vegetaxx, you don't stand chance when I'm around!

This is to say:

Asuka

but even more:

Shinji

add in some Fuyutsuki to Asunji and yup, that's quite good

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:"...I was almost a perfect amalgamation of these characters. I was Shinji; quiet, afraid, so full of self-doubt and trepidation. I was also Asuka; so driven to be the best, to prove my worthiness at something."

This. One of the main reasons Rei was one of my favorite characters was that I felt like she wasn't a major facet of my personality. Though I guess she could be symbolic of societal repression of emotion...

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Shinji, and I'd throttle the jackass if I ever met him. Hypocritical, to be sure, however it's what he deserves, and in some respect, needs. :headbeat:

Mr. Tines wrote:No wonder I feel like the odd one out so much of the time around here.

So do I Professor, I thought our reasoning for thinking A/S wouldn't work was the same, but now it seems yours is from a slightly more disturbing perspective.

Well, whatever the cause, our goal is the same, in that, we may remain united (To torment their shippers to no end, and laugh when that ship sinks once more in Rebuild :evillaugh: ).
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”