Best DVD Set

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MasterOfPuppets
Embryo

Best DVD Set

•      
  •      

Postby MasterOfPuppets » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 pm

I own the Platinum thin pack and I've heard that this was the best US release. Is this true and are there any better releases anywhere else in the world (probably Japan knowing how awesome they are).
The Ghost Train is coming kiddies......listen to it scream.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:46 pm

If you want the booklets and commentary (i.e. Matt Greenfield and other ADV people pretending they know things about Eva), there's the Perfect Collection or whatever it's called, which looks similar to the Platinum thin pack, only not thin.

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I think you'd find a lot more on this in the "Everything Else Evangelion" forum.

That being said, I got Platinum Perfect. For some reason, at the store, the thinpak was only 10$ cheaper. The only good thing that came out of it is that I now know why people say the extras suck.

N.B.: There are no booklets in the Platinum Perfect Collection pack. Platinum Perfect is basically a thinpak with 100 mins of DVD extras, wrapped in a flimsy metal box. The booklets are in the Platinum DVDs that are sold separately (or so I've been told, since I don't own the booklets).

It is said that the booklets don't suck. But getting each DVD separately is quite expensive.

EDIT: The poster above me might be referring to the Perfect Collection (not Platinum Perfect) that is still being sold. I have no idea if this collection has booklets, but my understanding is that this collection is not the Renewal version of the series (so it is not remastered and it does not have extra scenes). I might be wrong though, as I don't own this version.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:59 pm

I think the one I bought is the best since I got it practically for free :boingy:
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:I think the one I bought is the best since I got it practically for free :boingy:

What a descriptive post, I know exactly the one you're talking about!

...you bought it in Hong Kong, rite :|

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Don't get the Perfect collection, the quality was questionable. Platinums are your best bet for R3.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:35 am

I got the Perfect-Platinum (slim packs) edition. Haven't ever regretted it. The Director Cuts are awesome, as well as the Japanese language Surround Sound. (Some animes aren't released in Japanese surround sound.)

Even without the booklets, you still got a lot of Matt Greenfield's questionable commentary on the series in some of the audio commentaries and interviews.

Fredrick2003
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredrick2003 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:29 am

Perfect Platinum (or Platnim Perfect?) is the the "best" one according to my knowledge.

I wouldn't get the one with the thin packs though, I find them annoying. Why is it so hard to make these close properly :\

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

The thinpack is the best. In terms of encoding, the thinpack relegates more of its capacity to the episodes than the full size set does. Also, the thinpack is sleak and small, which I like. Sure, it doesn't have the booklets, but those have been archived:

http://www.evamonkey.com/em_platinum_booklets.php

And it doesn't have the extras. But no one cares about those anyway.

The thinpack, in my honest opinion, gives you the best value for your dollar. Also, THIS:

http://www.evamonkey.com/2004/12/platinum-volume-1-missing-dialogue.php

LOL

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:03 pm

well, with ADV gone, I wonder who will get the non-japan distribution rights to the original series?
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I only have the Perfect Collection, but I have a few volumes of the Platinum edition and that seems to be of way better quality than the prior.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 pm

I own the Platinum Perfect Collection & when I first popped it into my DVD player, I was quite stunned by how great the audio & picture quality is compared to the Perfect Collection (Which was how I first saw the series)

then again, i've heard that the actual Renewal DVD set (Which is only avaliable in Japan) has even better picture quality
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Ya the Perfect collection sucks. No DC episodes, picture quality is awful compared to the Platinum. I guess the Japanese studio that owns Eva (or Anno himself, can't remember) wanted ADV to wait before releasing a box set, so they could remaster the episodes and add the DC eps. ADV got anxious and released the aired versions instead and charged a fucking load for them.

Eva Naut
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:27 pm

esselfortium wrote:If you want the booklets and commentary (i.e. Matt Greenfield and other ADV people pretending they know things about Eva), there's the Perfect Collection or whatever it's called, which looks similar to the Platinum thin pack, only not thin.

The one essel is thinking of is here. Huh, the first set is the perfect collection, the second is the platinum and the tin set, the platinum perfect, what creative naming.

The best set of all is the Renewal set. It has remastered audio/video, contains booklets and booklets of info and even all the story boards. Sucks it's only in Japan though. Does anyone know a site to buy it imported?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 pm

So, if I want to buy the set, I should get this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Platinum-Collection/dp/B000767QTA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254877447&sr=8-7

Correct? Director cut episodes included and the subs aren't terrible, correct?

Eva Naut
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:09 am

So, if I want to buy the set, I should get this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Platinum-Collection/dp/B000767QTA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254877447&sr=8-7

Yes
Last edited by Eva Naut on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 am

Big Boss wrote:Not really actually. The Platinum Perfect has much better video quality.

How is the video quality any better when both are from the same master (same as Renewal)? The thinpak just has all the extras removed so it's one disc less.

Eva Naut
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 am

Ornette wrote:The thinpak just has all the extras removed so it's one disc less.

Actually it's one disc more

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:41 am

Thinpak = 6 discs, no extras
Platinum Perfect = 7 discs, has extras.

So the Thinpak has one disc less.

Eva Naut
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 am

Ornette wrote:Thinpak = 6 discs, no extras
Platinum Perfect = 7 discs, has extras.

So the Thinpak has one disc less.

Wow talk about a paradox. You have to buy both to get the booklets and DVD extas.

Is this the renewal set?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”