3rd Angel ("Tunniel")

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

[Spoilers] 3rd Angel ("Tunniel")

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 pm

What did they do to Tunniel? Why was he so bony?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Experiments n stuff.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 pm

In my understanding of Kaji's babble, they went choppy happy on the poor little Angel and carved it like a turkey in hope of 'containing' it.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:09 pm

LiLi wrote:In my understanding of Kaji's babble, they went choppy happy on the poor little Angel and carved it like a turkey in hope of 'containing' it.

Who the hel needs a Turkey for Thanksgiving when you can have some good 'ol angel?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Wow, this just blew my mind. I thought Tunneliel was attacking Nerv.....
On the path to Universal Understanding.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

it was probably attacking NERV because it was pissed they had snagged him and used him as a guinea pig.

"sure, i'll go look for adam-- right after i blow these BASTARDS to BITS!"

:sweatdrop:

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

carla wrote:"sure, i'll go look for adam-- right after i blow these BASTARDS to BITS!"

I would so sig this if it wasn't for the spoiler rules.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
carla wrote:"sure, i'll go look for adam-- right after i blow these BASTARDS to BITS!"

I would so sig this if it wasn't for the spoiler rules.

I would suppose you could actually, there's no real reference to the angel, just a funny ass joke.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:36 am

Attacking NERV? TBH I thought Tunniel was trying to evade from there, and NERV attacked the poor thing to prevent it from getting away...

Imagine that - you're sleeping peacefully in your comfy permafrost bed when some tiny yet nasty bipeds - what are those?? As far as you can recall weren't there when you fell asleep... Mommie!! where's MOMMIE?? - show up and decide to dig you up, carve you like a turkey and then put you in a cage, where they think they can come to poke and prod you as they please, whenever they please... and when you finally decide you've had enough and it can't possibly get any scarier than that, as you try to escape from that Inferno, they unleash some even nastier, bigger quadruped on you...

...You just wanted to be with Mommie again...
Last edited by LiLi on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 am

^
I wonder if "Free Tunny!" t-shirts will be the next piece of Rebuild merchandise.

Well, it's truly is sad that Kaji's engrish is so utterly incomprehensible. I strained myself a bit, and after a few repeat viewings, i think i caught what was his last line before saying farewell:
"And that was the cover (up?) version." That is, he was telling the Nerv cronies present what to say when someone asks them about what just happened (then again, one has to wonder how much of that particular section was left after Eva-05 blew up). So it is possible that he wasn't telling the whole truth.

Though i don't want to make a complete idiot out of myself, so i ask the translators: are there transcripts available for Kaji-san's babbling, or were you just going by what could be partially seen of the Japanese subtitles in the camrip?

Man, it would be an epic troll move if the subtitles and the Engrish were worded a bit differently.

Oh, and a new personal fanwank: the Nebuchadenezzar Key was somehow "extracted" from the third Angel.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 am

@LiLi-- yeah, it was actually escaping. but for some reason i just feel it was rather rambunctious in its escape-- they did call him a "hostile," so i'm thinking it actually hit them first, just to try and get out. so perhaps it was pissed after all :tongue: we'll never know.

eeehhh, i want a "free tunny!" shirt now. just text, no pictures, though. picture would probably be fugly. heh. :chuckles:

@saltyjoe, re: nebuchadewhatsits' key (i swear i can spell it in spanish)-- that rings true for me. i don't think Kaji would grab (steal?) the key from wherever it was supposed to be, then stop by to watch unit 05's battle with tunneliel while still having the key in his posession. and they probably didn't know tunneliel was going to elude their clutches, so that's not the reason Kaji was there-- he had something else he had to do in that place. so the key was probably in that very same facility, or close to it.

then again, maybe he grabbed the key from somewhere else and then still had to wait, because the transport for EVA 02 was already programmed for a later date. hn. bureocracy... :stubborn:

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:29 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Though i don't want to make a complete idiot out of myself, so i ask the translators: are there transcripts available for Kaji-san's babbling, or were you just going by what could be partially seen of the Japanese subtitles in the camrip?

I think we were going by the Japanese subs from the Japanese transcript we've been using (don't know what THEY used to make that though...)

@"Free Tunny!" t-shirt
It needs to have a chibi-version of Tunniel on it!

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 pm

LiLi wrote:Attacking NERV? TBH I thought Tunniel was trying to evade from there, and NERV attacked the poor thing to prevent it from getting away...

Imagine that - you're sleeping peacefully in your comfy permafrost bed when some tiny yet nasty bipeds - what are those?? As far as you can recall weren't there when you fell asleep... Mommie!! where's MOMMIE?? - show up and decide to dig you up, carve you like a turkey and then put you in a cage, where they think they can come to poke and prod you as they please, whenever they please... and when you finally decide you've had enough and it can't possibly get any scarier than that, as you try to escape from that Inferno, they unleash some even nastier, bigger quadruped on you...

...You just wanted to be with Mommie again...

Did I kick off a new meme-trend of writing kickass monologue crufts from extremely obscure points of view?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:14 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Did I kick off a new meme-trend of writing kickass monologue crufts from extremely obscure points of view?

Heh. We totally SHOULD turn that into a meme - don't you think so? I always loved writing/reading "obscure character" fanfiction... :lol:

I think I've seen a few examples on this forum, including your awesome Rei 00 'monologue' (EDIT: RECOMMENDED READING, GUYZ), and I wish I could find them again...

"Kickass", you said? Thank you! :D

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Very much so. The Angels need more POV fanfiction, if for no other reason than to get rid of the misconceptions of the Angels being "literal angels/evil assholes/super hyper intelligent mongoloids."

Hedphelym
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hedphelym » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Please do! What little fanfics they do have tend to combine all those attributes and it annoys the hell out of me.

I wonder what Tunniel looked like before they chopped him all up? Personally, I always assumed he looked like some sort of Arthropod-like Amargasaurus.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Maybe they'll show what he looked looked like in some sort of schematic when planning an attack on an angel with similarities.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Since it requires a repost:

Kaji via LiLi wrote:The analysis has shown that permafrost - since the Third Angel is so extensive - may be the only refrigerator apt to preserve it until Thanksgiving.

:smirk:

LiLi wrote: I always loved writing/reading "obscure character" fanfiction...

In before Akira. Whoops.

carla wrote:they did call him a "hostile,"

It's "Us Vs. Them". Of course it's going to be a "hostile".

(Also, it's just "Tunniel".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Reichu wrote:It's "Us Vs. Them". Of course it's going to be a "hostile".

Us good ole Canadians got wooden Evas and our Angels are a result of flapjacks gone wrong. No hostility there.....

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:52 am

Reichu-sama wrote:It's "Us Vs. Them". Of course it's going to be a "hostile".

point taken :smirk: still, if i were to put myself in that thing's... well, not shoes as it wasn't wearing any, but you get my drift-- i would've been pissed, regardless. much like adam. in my mental canon, adam was pissed.

and i think i like tunneliel better :chair: it just sounds better to my non-english-native-speaker ears.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”