Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Higurashis

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:27 pm

So, I've been thinking about watching Higurashi soon and apparently there are two different animes that supposedly loop or something and OVAs

...what is watching order? Is it like 1st season > 2nd season > OVAs or is order completely random or what?

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:37 pm

its 1st season -> 2nd season -> ovas. Though the first ova is kinda random and has nothing to do with the story.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:40 pm

okay, thanks.

How do I tell seasons apart though? Don't they have same name?

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:30 pm

1) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
2) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

The OVAs aren't crucial for the story, if I recall correctly. There is a third series, but it has no plot/character connections.

The first season is all about questions, and is the most freaky, while the second is all about answers. Essentially, without giving anything way, you see the same story from different perspectives several times. You'll wonder what is real, what is hallucination, what is paranoia, etc. It all makes sense in the second season, but I luuuurved it. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks O, that helped great deal ^_^

do you think OVAs are worth seeing?

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Ah, sorry, I was confused about a different special bonus thing.

The five-episode OVA is called "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei", and is sort of an epilogue. You don't need to watch it, since it occurs after everything has been resolved. But if you really fall for the characters, you might as well check it out.

I'll get around to watching it eventually, but I've got other stuff going down. ^^; It did get solid ratings on MAL, though.

EDIT: The OVA I was thinking of was "Nekogoroshi-Hen", which is a bonus episode, that basically has nothing to do with the plot whatsoever. You'll get your full enjoyment from the first two seasons, I'm sure. ^_^

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Sweet! :wink:

I remember wanting to watch Higurashi when it first came out. Then I forgot about it and didn't get interested again before I saw the godly OP on youtube some days ago. After that I knew I had to see it. :lol:

now then, now I should just decide whether I'll watch Now and Then, Here and There, Monster or Higurashi next... or whether I throw Utena and GitS Stand Alone Complex to deck too...

guess I'll throw dice :lol:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Utena is good. But I only have like the first season of that; and I used to have movie but I lost it :spout: however I think I prefered the movie over the series.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Utena is good. But I only have like the first season of that; and I used to have movie but I lost it :spout: however I think I prefered the movie over the series.

I've never seen the movie and it's supposedly even more wtf than EoE - feat which I have hard time to believe and reason why I'm interested on seeing the show again (I saw couple of eps when I was like 15 or so but it didn't do much for me)

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Utena and Monster both require a lot of dedication to watch.

Higurashi is very addictive, very cathartic, and mixes cute and slice of life with mystery and horror and insanity.

Now and Then is 100% depressing.

Standalone Complex is... good... but I can hardly recall it. ^^;

I'd start with Higurashi, since it really got me all riled up, really moody. You really should watch it. You'll blast through it, but the others might take some work. ^_^

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:59 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:Utena and Monster both require a lot of dedication to watch.

I certainly can believe that. Monster is such based on its lenght alone. I got to ep 30 or so before Great Computer Crash and afterwards I never got back to it because it was so massive series...

Utena of course is known as parallel work to Eva being highly oblique and symbolic series about girl's teenage with all the revelant metaphors etc.

but that for "some reason" just wasn't the show for 15 year old guy :P

Nowadays I have retained new interest to it of course.
Higurashi is very addictive, very cathartic, and mixes cute and slice of life with mystery and horror and insanity.

yeah, that much I could tell already from all I've heard (not to mention hilarious spoofs in AMV Hell 4, lol& Maxwell's Silver Hammer clip) and read beforehand.

Nippaaa :redface: ^_^

Being Higurashi I'm sure that Nippaa girl propably meets horrible end =(

Now and Then is 100% depressing.

This alongside with Ornette's 10/10 rating is why I got interested in it ;)

Standalone Complex is... good... but I can hardly recall it. ^^;

I'm going to go in huge Mamoru Oh Shi- phase this fall - I already got original GitS which I haven't seen in years either and after that I'm going to watch Angel's Egg which I've never seen before. I just can't seem to find his 1992 live action film Talking Head anywhere: I found one place where I could get it but it required registration and one could only register if one had invitation... *sigh*

So my interest in SAC (I know, it's criminal I never watched it apart from one ep) arose from this connection.

I'd start with Higurashi, since it really got me all riled up, really moody. You really should watch it. You'll blast through it, but the others might take some work. ^_^

Well, I need to get Higurashi first and I already have NTHT so I may in the end see that one first :)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Xard wrote:do you think OVAs are worth seeing?

I don't think any of Higurashi is worth seeing. Fucking hated that stupid show.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Pfffsst~ are you going to listen to him? He's clearly racist against the green-haired. Racist as hell!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:29 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Xard wrote:do you think OVAs are worth seeing?

I don't think any of Higurashi is worth seeing. Fucking hated that stupid show.

Nippaa
^_______________^

/end of argument

Well, I'll see NTHT first. In fact I just finished ep 1. Promising enough. Character designs are bland and the main character was annoying as hell* but otherwise it was really good. Am intrigued, especially by Lala Ru.

*I can never understand when Shinji is so annoying to people when they like heroes lik Shu... He was as if someone had given Pazu +2 amulet of stupidity and +5 ring of unbeliavable heroics

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:38 pm

My enjoyment of NTHT largely came from the harsh realism of the world. I don't even remember what the main character said or did in that show. ^^;

In truth, I'd say NTHT has more artistic merit, while Higurashi has lived longer in my dreamscape. @_@

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I found the first season to be pretty interesting, because you haven't really got an idea of what's going to happen next. Last arc is probably the best of the season. Second season was still something I looked forward to every week while it aired, but during a rewatch marathon, it just seemed to drag on and on, so it was kind of boring. The answer arc helps put the first season in perspective, though, and the end was good. That is probably all about the seconds season that makes it worth watching.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:12 am

Splitting the arcs unevenly between the two series didn't help. The whole interminable "getting Social Services on Satoko's case" arc was 2-3 episodes too many; and I got bogged down for a long while during Droopy-chan's arc, ending up fast-forwarding and skipping.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:44 pm

so, I've seen 5 eps of Higurashi now.

Really addictive, really strange, really... I don't know, it has this really weird mood often. Though last ep was cute ^_^

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm

I think I've seen only the first episode of Higurashi Rei.

I liked the second season more than the first. The only episode I didn't like and skipped was
SPOILER: Show
the second to last one of season 2, I think it was. The episode when it showed the whole backstory of that woman who wanted to spread the hynomizawa virus.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:15 pm

I loved Higurashi.

The story seems kind of confusing at first, but once you get towards the second season it will start to make more sense.
I hate the internet

Return to “Anime and Manga”