Evangelion Bluray Re-release

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Evangelion Bluray Re-release

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

What would you want from an evangelion bluray release?

A. The original NGE released to bluray.

B. Completely reanimated from the ground up, staying 100% faithful to the original... but prettier.

C. All of the above.

D. Neither. It doesnt need ANOTHER re-release!

-----------------

I'm hoping B because i am fearful of a generation of Rebuild fans who who havent seen NGE because theyve seen "the new better version". And ofcourse for myself. NGE animation has aged horribly. i havent choose C because i read somewhere(i believe it came from evamonkey) that because of how the original was animated you really wouldnt gain any more quality from releasing it on bluray. So if thats the case i really dont feel it necessary.
Last edited by skikes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 pm

A and semi-B (I'd like to see some parts re-animated, but a complete re-animation is not needed).

NGE animation has aged horribly.
This is silly. It's like saying black-and-white films have aged horribly. Animation tends to give the viewer a better sense of a time and era than most mediums, and I think it would be awful to ruin that because "HURRRRR, we have better technology so we must rape classical series with our huge techno-penis and impregnate them with our digital sperm to make it prettier, Arrrrr!".

I'm also guessing NGE as it is wouldn't benefit from blu-ray, but there are definitely things they could clean up and perhaps even add some details to parts. You know, I'm the type who didn't have an objection to Lucas's "SE" Star Wars until he actually started messing with the story and narrative. There were certain details that he originally wanted but couldn't have because of the limited technology. So I see nothing wrong with using modern technology to take an old(er) vision and make it more complete and detailed, but radically changing and reshaping is a no-no.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm

"NGE's animation has aged horribly?"

itt: newfags

NGE's animation is still great and for midnineties standards stunning at places. Don't let pos-RoE visions colour your perception too much.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm not saying the animation is below par because its old, there is so many animations out there that have stood the test of time and stands out for its on style.
examples- batman:tas, akira, gunbuster... maybe not the best examples but the first that came to mind

However NGE is not the best(EDIT: in terms of animation), the style and quality is inconsistent. It continually reuses cells to the point where when im watching it now i notice when theres a scene that hasnt been used twice.... "you never see the same thing once" arguement aside, its cheap. I've always thought it wasnt the best animation, so saying its the glamour of rebuild is... partly true. it has sparked my interest in seeing it reanimated, yes.
Luckily NGE never was about being flashy, and no matter what your opinion is on the animation, itll always be a great show.
Last edited by skikes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:22 pm

skikes wrote:However NGE is not the best, the style and quality is inconsistent.
Anno ended up using the series' limitations in terms of budget to his own benefit by modulating scenes which used a few cells (or reused them) with scenes of really luxurious animation and plentiful cells. This is part of what gives the series such superb pacing. I don't think most who come to NGE late can really appreciate just how great its animation was in the mid-90s; it was one of the series' initial draws, afterall, and I still think it holds up well. It certainly has a "classic" feel to it, certainly, but I almost never notice the quality inconsistency in terms of the animation because I tend to think the limitations aid the series far more than hurt it.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:23 pm

If it should be re-released for Blue-ray I think it should be done dragon box style before re-releasing. What I mean is for a blue-ray release there should be frame by frame restoration and maybe some additional re-animation but re-animation isn't really necessary.

Also: In b4 Blue-Rei
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm

A or B would be fine. I'd like to say I want A more but reanimation is a strong temptress.

With the neat-ness of blu ray these days it'd be nice to get Japanese dub onto it like I've seen before.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 pm

I'd probably be happy with the Renewal version released to blu-ray, seeing as how ADV's Platinum Collection vamped up brightness levels too much and blurred the shit out of everything. I'll be damned if these ultra-crisp screen shots I've seen online are from my Platinum Collection set.

But if I'm completely wrong (and the Platinum Collection really IS the Renewal version), then I'd probably want the blu-ray release to have a little touch-up work done to make it seem like I'm NOT watching NGE through luminescent fog. I'm not really sure if it needs a whole lot of reanimation done, maybe a few scenes (like how Death pulled it off), but as a whole the animation quality stands for itself. I'm still pretty amazed by most of it, considering it was a 26-episode TV series done on a reasonably tight budget.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Anno ended up using the series' limitations in terms of budget to his own benefit by modulating scenes which used a few cells (or reused them) with scenes of really luxurious animation and plentiful cells. This is part of what gives the series such superb pacing. I don't think most who come to NGE late can really appreciate just how great its animation was in the mid-90s; it was one of the series' initial draws, afterall, and I still think it holds up well. It certainly has a "classic" feel to it, certainly, but I almost never notice the quality inconsistency in terms of the animation because I tend to think the limitations aid the series far more than hurt it.

I can see your point, but this is something i feel only a hardcore fan can really appreciate... i used to think i was one of those, these days im not so sure.

-------

This perception of the johnny come lately's of eva is whats silly... When i love something i want other people to enjoy it as much as i did. I want as many people to expierence it as possible. The franchise can only gain from it. The constant warcry of "NOOB" is so irritating, like beating up freshman. I feel sorry for any new fan of NGE looking to forums to expand his/her knowledge of the show.
I would love to see eva reanimated, broadcast in the west and have a whole bunch of new fresh EVA NOOBZ!

...no matter how irritating unit-00 soul speculation is... i may come to regret it ¬_¬

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:05 pm

skikes wrote:I can see your point, but this is something i feel only a hardcore fan can really appreciate... I feel sorry for any new fan of NGE looking to forums to expand his/her knowledge of the show.
Former: Well, I think it depends on where you're approaching NGE from. If you're the type who goes for the Uber-CGIed New Technology look then you're probably going to be disappointed with any classic cel animation. For me, I think there is a humanness in the roughness of all classic animation that cold CGI and the cleaner, more continuous, consistent, sharp, etc. animation simply lacks; I don't think this simply applies to NGE.

Latter: Well, I was a new fan of NGE a few years ago. This forum is relatively easy on and welcoming to newbs compared to many others. Plus, a ton of archived read-only threads and the Wiki certainly helps.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:11 pm

skikes wrote:I feel sorry for any new fan of NGE looking to forums to expand his/her knowledge of the show.

I don't see why. The wiki is right there with a whole database of information. It helped me when I wanted to look deeper into the series.
I would love to see eva reanimated, broadcast in the west and have a whole bunch of new fresh EVA NOOBZ!

Well it did air on Toonami and then Adult Swim at some point.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Evangelion Bluray Re-release

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Because of the attitude they recieve... though Yojimbo is right, its not quite as bad here as it can be elsewhere.

it also aired on sci fi. i'm aware, i should have choose my words more carefully, rebroadcast. Though if was reanimated it would be an original broadcast is suppose... anyways this is getting offtopic.

(edit) dont take exception to that rant, i wasnt reffering to evageeks specifically, forums in generally can be quite a hostile place, just letting my frustration out.
Last edited by skikes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:15 pm

I never noticed any or at least most new members get any rude responses.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm

skikes wrote:What would you want from an evangelion bluray release?

New scenes involving a love affair between Asuka and Kaworu.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:39 pm

^ So Kaworu would pull a Shinji and have his way with Asuka's comatose body huh?

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 pm

skikes wrote:A. The original NGE released to bluray.

Gainax will do it, sooner or later. Another way to get money from the fans... and one day old DVD players will be obsolete, right?
But at least we will get a progressive release, unlike the horrendous interlaced NTSC Platinum. And a decent release of D&R and EoE, hopefully (as least we can dream about it :toothy:)

skikes wrote:B. Completely reanimated from the ground up, staying 100% faithful to the original... but prettier.

That would be interesting, but what's the point? Selling the same "old" story as before won't attract enough people that already have the last release or new fans to be commercially viable.
They almost tried that with the first Rebuild movie, but they felt the need to make "cool" changes (poor Ramiel...)

skikes wrote:D. Neither. It doesnt need ANOTHER re-release!

Well, they'll just HAVE to release it again in 2015, right? :)

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Anything can benefit from an HD Release. The original film stock used in any major project has a higher picture quality than DVD or even Blu-ray. All they have to do is clean up any problems. They did a good Job with the DBZ films on Blu, making them look better than ever. (Would they convert it to WS?)

I have watched the entire NGE series on a blu-ray player up scaling it to 1080p, watched on a 60 inch Plasma TV, and it was great.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Wasnt it already mentioned in another bluray thread that a bluray release would not be an improvement due to the way it was filmed

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Hmmm, Well, to be honest IMO a reanimation and prettier pictures is kinda what ROE is. :biii: Although admittedly the plot is tweaked a little and they have added a new character, it still pretty much is the Original NGE redone with new animation and what not. But are you talking like RoE or just touched up animation and not the fancy shiny bells and whistles graphics and CG theyre using on RoE like remastered or better art like they have in RoE, just not the revamped angels and strictly following original Canon up to EoE?

Because if thats the case, I think it might be nice, but ultimately Id say it would be unnecesary. Maybe like a figure of one of the units or Misato or the pilots, or animation cells, some nice bonus, commentary on RoE, or trailers for RoE or like a copy of Angelic Days, SIRP, or another Eva related Manga. But I really dont see the point of just redoing the animation for the original. If thats what you really want jsut wait for RoE to come out on DVD.

Id say documentaries on the making of the original, VA interviews, dleted scenes, commentaries, trailers for RoE and Another Cases or other Gainax or Eva related series or Merchandise and or the previous extras related to RoE would IMO make it more worth purchasing a release of the original then just redone animation. But that just me.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Hmmm, Well, to be honest IMO a reanimation and prettier pictures is kinda what ROE is. :biii: Although admittedly the plot is tweaked a little and they have added a new character, it still pretty much is the Original NGE redone with new animation and what not.

you haven't seen 2.0, have you?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”