Hell Froze Over (Evangelion on Cartoon Network)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:08 pm

Mr. Bud thank you, finally someone likes the dub too :) lol
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:50 pm

rob_of_the_genesis wrote:Mr. Bud thank you, finally someone likes the dub too :) lol

Well, it's no Cowboy Bebop dub but it's fine. One of the things the English version totally owned the Japanese version on was Asuka speaking German. I was embarrassed for Asuka's Japanese voice actress trying to pull that off. Then again, I'm pretty sure that I heard that Tiffany Grant speaks German anyway and when it comes down to it, who is German going to be easier for? Someone who speaks Japanese or English? Obviously the latter. They're more closely related.

When it comes down to it, the only English voice I couldn't stand was Maya's. Something about Hikari's voice bothered me in the English version too but it was tolerable. Kensuke's was pretty dorky, but then again that fits him...

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 pm

yes that's why I liked the english version. if something was wrong with a voice, it kinda makes sence. Kensuke sounding geeky makes sence since he pretty much is one. then Shinji sounded whinny, well he was a lot of the time in the show and everyone seems to hate asukas voice, but if you only watch it in english like I do, you'll get used to it. I can't imagine her without it now, so used to it. it's actually great in end of evangelion. she does a better job in that movie then the series.
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:18 am

Meh i dont mind either (dub or sub).

I just want a good show
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

RuaDragon
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RuaDragon » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:55 am

When it comes to VAs in eva I generally don't mind either way, but I definantly prefer the english VA for Gendo, his Japanes voice is too weak and...wussy. The thing about Spike Spencer is, though he did a fair enough job, he just couldn't scream the way Megumi Ogata could. Man was she good at that :shock:
"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...Death is not...It's the absence of presence , nothing more...The endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..."
- Guildenstern

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:29 pm

lol so true! A great example is when i had the fan sub of end of evangelion on my computer, before I bought it on dvd, I thought it was great in Japanese and the part RIGHT at the end of episode 25' when Shinji sees the MP evas carrying away eva 02s remains and he screams. The Japanese voice actor screams for so long without taking a breath. it's really impressive. now when you watch it in english, spike couldn't scream as long without stopping, he only screams half as long as the original VA did.
Rei goes insane!!~~

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Hell Froze Over

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:
cain luppus wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6949

It could be worse. My guess is that Evangelion will no doubt go to Adult Swim. No way will it go on Toonami. If it's on Adult Swim there's actually a good chance it may not even be edited. Probably a little bit. The body of Asuka's mom swinging from the rafters will probably get the axe. Rei I being choked will no doubt get a lot cut. There's probably some other stuff too. Perhaps the slaughter of Unit-03 might be edited. But that one's hard to call. It's just an Eva after all and not a person.

Like I said, it might be alright. Eva has some freaky/disturbing images in it, but not a lot that seems edit worthy.

Hell, I'll probably watch it when it comes to CN. It seems like it could be fun to see what they change/edit if anything.

damn editors!!!! I wonder how the clone tank scene will be? thats the firts bit of nudity in the show... then u get to the movie HEY OH!!!! that first scene nasty!!!(i just thought of this last night when i watched the movie... but i think that was another deal with the devil thing anno did, ya know all the Asuka hentai laying around the internet, fan beggin to see Rei n Asuka necked... well they got it... just in the sickest way possible hahahahaha-opps off topic) i doubt they'll ever play the movie ither, just because its america and nudity is all... well you know how america is lol.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:52 pm

Naw I don't think they'll play the movie either. Too much to cencor. the movie would be like a half hour. lol. and I don''t think anno put that scene in for that reason. It's to show how Shinji's mental status is right now, and how he wants Asuka. but more as an object than anything. well that's what i think. it could be wrong. only anno knows for sure..
Rei goes insane!!~~

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Good news everyone. Eva is going to be on Adult Swim. They posted the announcement on the Adult Swim Message Boards. You can only see the post if you subscribe to boards so I'll just paste it here.

SwimBuddha wrote: New Acquisition: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Although no air date has yet been decided, Adult Swim will, in the near future, air the classic anime show Neon Genesis Evangelion. NGE is the story of Shinji Ikari, a teenage boy recruited by his estranged father to pilot the giant Evangelion Unit-01 to defend the earth against a horde of monsterous, invading alien creatures known as the Angels. A unique mix of exceptional battle scenes, religious symbolism, psychological storytelling and teenage angst, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been referred to by many as one of the greatest anime shows ever made.
I can only take so much retarded.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:41 am

I hold to my opinion that all dubbies are mad.

But stop arguing about it, because there are threads MADE for that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm glad they're showing it on adult swim because now maybe it will be uncensored! But I don't get adult swim so it does't matter to me, I just want people that do have it to watch the show uncensored.
Rei goes insane!!~~

Ataru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ataru » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:51 am

RuaDragon wrote:When it comes to VAs in eva I generally don't mind either way, but I definantly prefer the english VA for Gendo, his Japanes voice is too weak and...wussy. The thing about Spike Spencer is, though he did a fair enough job, he just couldn't scream the way Megumi Ogata could. Man was she good at that :shock:

i agree strongly here, Shinji's screaming in the original track evokes real visceral terror, while in the dub, it's much more subdued and weak. Ogata would make a good vocalist for a grindcore band. ^_^

Spencer also occasionally sounds like an adult trying to sound like a kid, whereas I actually didn't know Shinji was originally voiced by a woman until recently.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:58 pm

Did it come to you as a suprise that even our little friend Naruto is voiced by a woman, then? :wink:
Asuka > Rei

Ataru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ataru » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:14 pm

well, I'm never surprised by women playing boy's roles; for example, Bart Simpson is. I just hadn't realized it was the case with Shinji.

I've also seen almost no Naruto, though a friend is trying to correct that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:43 pm

And let's not forget about Son Goku. You'll find women in roles you wouldn't think possible.

Somewhat less often, you get guys playing chicks, e.g., Moro in "Mononoke Hime".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SSGokuJr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSGokuJr » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am

OK I have said this on every single Message board Im on. I have seen Evangelion and I really don't think they will edit anything out other than the swiming naked Reis. This is where I wonder if the people complaining about Adult Swim really watch it out side the comedy portion. Why look at Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo in my opinion they have already shown worse on those than what is in Evangelion.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:58 am

SSGokuJr wrote:OK I have said this on every single Message board Im on. I have seen Evangelion and I really don't think they will edit anything out other than the swiming naked Reis. This is where I wonder if the people complaining about Adult Swim really watch it out side the comedy portion. Why look at Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo in my opinion they have already shown worse on those than what is in Evangelion.

Asuka's hanging mom and Naoko choking Rei will be edited. I'm telling you.

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:
SSGokuJr wrote:OK I have said this on every single Message board Im on. I have seen Evangelion and I really don't think they will edit anything out other than the swiming naked Reis. This is where I wonder if the people complaining about Adult Swim really watch it out side the comedy portion. Why look at Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo in my opinion they have already shown worse on those than what is in Evangelion.

Asuka's hanging mom and Naoko choking Rei will be edited. I'm telling you.

Yeah, I agree...
Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts.

SSGokuJr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSGokuJr » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:28 am

This came from the Adult Swim web site

(Premiere Updates
7/27/2005

Fullmetal Alchemist will now premiere new episodes beginning Saturday, September 17, at midnight.

On Sunday, October 2, at 11 p.m. The Boondocks will premiere, and Family Guy and American Dad will move to the new 10 p.m. slot.

The first run of 12 oz. Mouse, a new series by Aqua Teen Hunger Force co-creator Matt Maiellaro, will begin airing Sunday, October 16, at 12:30 a.m.

Squidbillies will premiere on Sunday, October 16, at midnight.

Neon Genesis Evangelion will begin airing Thursdays, starting Thursday, October 20, at 12:30 a.m.

The premiere of Moral Orel, a new show by Dino Stamatopoulos, is set for Sunday, November 13, at 12:15 a.m.

On Saturday, November 19, at 11:15 p.m., Perfect Hair Forever will begin its first season.)

So its coming in October cant wait.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:08 am

Mr. Bud wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:Get ready for an influx of newbies. *Rolls ups sleeves* I am so looking foward to this.

Heh. But I mean, you think the fan base will really get that much bigger? Evangelion's pretty mainstream as it is. With a huge fan base already.

It will get bigger! look what happened to Full Metal Alchemist! And That show sucked ;_;

It'll be all these people going to cons dressed as Shinji and saying all this lousy shit about eva. Man.

They'll think its all a mecha show and blow it off once episode 25 and 26 come around ;_;

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”