Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Official Rebuild Dub Thread

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:05 am

So it looks like the only major dub thread is the trailer thread, and there are a handful of "Rebuild dub in X city" threads.

So this thread will be an attempt to keep a centralized location for you to talk about the dub as you see it, and offer your opinions on it.

I saw it yesterday at Otakon. It was a big screening, and people really seemed to enjoy it. my statements were vindicated about the overall fan response to Rebuild being lukewarm are still fairly true. Not many casual fans have seen Rebuild. In my panel, more people had not seen it, and that was an EVANGELION panel. But tons of people packed in to see it, and everyone seemed to enjoy it quite well.

I was not especially impressed by the dub. There are some scenes that I thought Spike Spencer and Allison Keith just nailed the characters, and I think there are some scenes were it's some of their weakest. Mostly relegated to the first half, when pacing likely was the causal factor. I really liked the new Ritsuko. I think she hit much closer to the original Japanese actress. I liked Sue Ulu as Ritsuko, but like many have said, there were many times when she came off as too cruel. I think the new Touji is kind of lacking and I think Greg Ayres is an ATROCIOUS Kensuke. Which is peculiar, because once upon a time, he played Kaworu. The new Gendo is interesting, I was not impressed with his work in 21'-24', but I never really gave him a chance. But now, I think he's a bit refreshing as Gendo. Tristan MacAvery may have played Gendo as too much of a jerk, and John Swassey plays it a bit softer and with a bit more empathy, but I question whether it's too likable. Fuyutsuki is weird, because I swear I sometimes can't tell him from Gendo. Also, I'm not feeling the new bridge crew at all. New Rei is MEH, but then again, I generally don't care about Rei to begin with.

Generally, I wasn't horrified by the dub like I was expecting to be. I think half of the dub is pretty decent, but there are some voices and scenes that I think are facepalm or headdesk terrible, ESPECIALLY anything involving Greg Ayres as Kensuke. I really really don't like him as Kensuke. Kurt Stoll was weird too, but at least with him I was used to him. Also, I'm a little disappointed with Allison Keith's lines during the climax. She just doesn't live up to Kotono Mitsuishi's performance which was superb, and quite possibly the most dramatic and well played lines in the film. Allison just didn't quite capture that drama in my opinion.

The lines between Gendo and Fuyutsuki were interesting, they seemed to play up a sense or notion that they were scripting the children's whole lives, and that everything, including the relationship to be formed between Rei and Shinji is all a calculated act. Seemed a little weird.

Also, there still some interesting translation of Kaworu's lines. They made it out to Kaworu asking if it was Shinji again, and that something along the lines of "he never changes", as if Kaworu has known Shinji for as while, or is familiar in some special way. SPECULATION?

Finally, I grabbed Mike McFarland by the arm real quick as he was leaving the screening to ask him about the role of Asuka. He said that they have not cast her yet, and that he would like to have Tiffany back. He sounded pretty confident that there was no reason why she would not be able to reprise her role.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:16 am

You know the Japanese VA's aren't exactly perfect either.. with that being said I am looking forward to Funimation's dub and I can't wait to hear more people's input.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Official Rebuild Dub Thread

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:28 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Finally, I grabbed Mike McFarland by the arm real quick as he was leaving the screening to ask him about the role of Asuka. He said that they have not cast her yet, and that he would like to have Tiffany back. He sounded pretty confident that there was no reason why she would not be able to reprise her role.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (DO NOT WANT) :vader:

it's not like AWL and Greenfield are back in action, but still, yikes!

and they just had to bring back Greg Ayres for something it seems, sheesh *eyes roll*

so will Johnny Yong Bosch shoehorn his way in too?

although, I'd be willing to dance with the devil here and have Tiffany come back and play,*bum bum bummmmmmmmmmmm*...
SPOILER: Show
MARI, MWHAHAHAHAHA/1\!!!!
I can't wait to judge for it myself, though, sounds pretty solid sans what I just mentioned
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:36 am

I actually thought the Asuka in the dub fit her role perfect... an annoying bitch. :clap:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:48 am

Interesting that McFarland told you that about Asuka. Must mean Funimation either NOW has the rights to 2.0 OR they're 100% certain they'll get the rights soon seeing as they didn't have it two weeks ago.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:50 am

Evamonkey wrote:The lines between Gendo and Fuyutsuki were interesting, they seemed to play up a sense or notion that they were scripting the children's whole lives, and that everything, including the relationship to be formed between Rei and Shinji is all a calculated act. Seemed a little weird.

Maybe but not really?  SPOILER: Show
I personally get this sense from 1.0 and 2.0 (as in subbed or raw Japanese)... :shrug:

Thanks for your thoughts, I only felt the original NGE dub was alright in a few places myself, but it's nice to hear the Rebuild dub isn't as bad as it could be.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 am

i would greatly prefer it if tiffany returned as Asuka. maybe because i'm used to it, but she evoked Asuka being a bitch on a permanent period very well
i want rebuild

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:04 am

What i want to know from those that have seen it is whether this film would be acceptable to show to a newcomer. Most animated films released from major studios in North America at least have serviceable to very good voice acting.

Thing is its not necessarily the same with Anime dubs and or foreign language films that are dubbed in English. Unless of course your looking at the Disney Ghibli english dubs. Those are all awesome! Anyways enough of my blabbering. I plan to see this thing in my home city on September 30th. Lucky me i get to choose from three different cinema locations to see it. I got this friend to accompany me, but i'm not sure if he'd like Eva. He's kind of new to the whole anime scene.

So i intend to ask you all is the Eva 1.0 funimation dub serviceable to the wider audience? Or is it just destined to become another one of those english dubs that casual fans, hardcore fans, and non-fans scoff at?

P.S.

Tiffany can be a good voice actress choice for Asuka in the new Eva 2.0 dub, however whether she gets to pull off the character or not i think mainly weighs with how well the voice acting director does his job. Honestly from other voice roles that Tiffany's done or even her regular voice, she can be quite easy on the ears at times.

But the abrash, in your face attitude and albeit odd over exaggerated dialogue acting in many of the scenes in NGE killed any hope of me every liking the english dub. Seriously....

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:19 am

Interesting points all around. I remember 11 days ago when I saw it in Seattle. Again, better Misato and Shinji, despite parts where he sounded too emotional (IE: Welcome to Nerv?). Rei sounds more whispy and detatched than foreign to emotions. I've mostly forgotten Kaworu's voice, but it isn't bad. I'll be anticipating how he does his lines in 2.0. The Seele guys did make me shit bricks. But yeah, Toji and Kensuke are pretty bland.

How is Matt Mcfarland in charge of casting? Wut?
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:22 am

Shit bricks? Doesn't it usually mean you are scared if you use that expression? Was it a good or bad scary? ;o lol

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:48 am

WTF is Greg Ayres kensuke? I like the actor and all but he just doesn't go with the character at all! Touji's new voice isn't as good as his previous one. Shinji, Misato and Ritsuko I thought were BANG ON...most of the time! I love the new Ritsuko voice. I didn't pay much attention to Fuyutski, though the person who plays Gendo now (I forgot his name) is really familiar somehow.

Rei I think needs getting used to I think. I really forgot Kaworu's voice but I'll have better judgement in the second movie.
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 am

Combs wrote:How is Matt Mcfarland in charge of casting? Wut?

Well he is in charge of voice-directing the dub so I only imagine that he would also be in charge casting.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Official Rebuild Dub Thread [Spoiler Free, Yay!]

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:26 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Also, there still some interesting translation of Kaworu's lines. They made it out to Kaworu asking if it was Shinji again, and that something along the lines of "he never changes", as if Kaworu has known Shinji for as while, or is familiar in some special way. SPECULATION?

I got that feeling when I saw it subbed. Isn't that where most of the sequel theory speculation came from anyway?
though the person who plays Gendo now (I forgot his name) is really familiar somehow.

It's the same dude who played Gendo in the director's cut, John Swasey.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:49 pm

I thought the dub was average, but this is just based on my first viewing. I was very critical.

Spike definetely still has what it takes and can still pull off a 14 year old voice convincingly. He did a fairly good job. Allison was...did they change Misato to be a lot more gruff/less spunky in the original script? She has lost almost ALL her carefreeness. I think the kitchen scene with Shinji and Misato shows her age most of anything.

Gendo is OLD!

Ulu gave a pretty different take on the character than I am used to, which I found to be interesting. And, like others have said, Kensuke and Toji did NOT sit well for me.
Last edited by thedarkorb on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:50 pm

I did get to ask Tiffany Grant if she was returning for 2.0 and she had no idea as, "it had just come out two weeks ago".

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:53 pm

thedarkorb wrote:I did get to ask Tiffany Grant if she was returning for 2.0 and she had no idea as, "it had just come out two weeks ago".

She's well aware of the films and I have no doubt she wants to do them, however when I spoke to her about Rebuild before our Eva panel with Carl Horn and Matt Greenfield at ACEN, she seemed pretty upset and agitated by the question in a fairly uncharacteristic way. I thought it meant that she had been recast or was not going to be allowed/able to reprise her role. Hence why I approached Mike McFarland. I wanted to try and find out if anything was going on with that. Apparently not. Must have been a bad day for her.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Kinda  SPOILER: Show
Maybe she knows about the changes and or the plot to "Asuka Langley Shikinami" in 2.0, doesn't like said changes/plot, and thus feels torn on reprising her role as Asuka?

Just a thought, I honestly have no clue.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 pm

^That's possible. I hope it doesn't affect her dicision. From what i heard,
She never liked the idea of Asuka having feelings for Shinji much less them possibly hooking up.
That's what i heard anyway.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 pm

The Invincible Shinji wrote:From what i heard,
She never liked the idea of Asuka having feelings for Shinji much less them possibly hooking up.
That's what i heard anyway.

It's more like she just doesn't like Shinji. In her whole room of Asuka/Unit 02 stuff, she has one Shinji pushie, and it's being attacked by a Unit 02 toy. The only character she definitively hates is Rei, who she refers to as "bitch".

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 pm

she likes to stay "in character" huh

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”