Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:46 am

If you mean the one at the end of 1.0,then most likely.They probably wont have the proper one until they release 1.01.

darthikari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:45 am

I saw the dub at Gencon a couple weeks ago (since the
musicbox chickened out) and it included the original "Misato slaps Ritsuko" teaser for 2.0.

I did enjoy the dub quite a bit, and I couldn't help thinking that its amazing how much just having Allison and Spike back made it feel right.
Gendo is voiced by the director's cut actor, so there's some continuity there, and the new Rei seems far less fragile than AWL's performance.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 pm

I still dont know why they couldnt of added that "Misato slaps Ritsuko"scene in 2.0.Could of used it.Dont know where exactly though.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Eva 04 wrote:I still dont know why they couldnt of added that "Misato slaps Ritsuko"scene in 2.0.Could of used it.Dont know where exactly though.
It'll be in 2.01

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Rei wasn't that impressive!? Rei is my favorite character! AHHHH!

Why couldn't they just get Amanda back, my god!
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:04 pm

On the contrary Rei was rather impressive.

And yes, the preview returns at the end of the movie.

"And of course, I'll be slipping you a little something extra as well"
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

darthikari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Sorry if i gave a negative impression of the new Rei. She just seems stronger, more determined. In my opinion, the way she delivers some of her lines you can almost hear Gendo's infuence on her.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:36 pm

She's a Gendobot with tits.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

icomeanon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby icomeanon4 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I watched the dub in a theater today, and I have nothing but praise for it. The acting is much improved, and the script is better than anything else we've seen from Evangelion before, subbed or dubbed. Funimation's localization kicks ADV's to the curb, and kicks all the fansubbers' even farther.

I thought the most improved performance was Rei's. She somehow sounds both colder and more human than the original, and really displays the whole idea of her being stronger but even more shut off than Shinji. People keep complaining about how nothing was really different in Rebuild, but I found myself viewing Rei in an entirely different manner.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Awesome.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:29 pm

That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to getting to listen to this.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:17 am

esselfortium wrote:That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to getting to listen to this.

Me too. I have to wait to the 30th tho for my screening. But so far the response seems to be very positive on the dub.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm gonna spoiler-mark this for people who don't want to know how 1.0 is.

Just saw it in San Fran today. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a hell of a lot better than the original dub, that's for sure. My stepsister who hasn't seen Eva before thought the film was "good and interesting". ^_^

EDIT: Slight addition.

1.0 DUB  SPOILER: Show
~Voices: While Alison's Misato was slightly gruff and Spike's Shinji sounded a bit quiet/younger (which worked, and yes, some of Spike's screams still made me laugh :sweatdrop: ), I thought the dub voices were surprisingly good. Kensuke's took some getting used to, I warmed up to it by the end of the film, and Kaworu's was alright since he hasn't said much yet.

~The only voice that I felt did NOT fit was Gendo's. It was just...ugh. Despite how Gendo's voice sounded though, everybody played their respective roles well.

~The dub script worked, nothing seemed out of place and things flowed together nicely.

~Any noises/sounds of the Angels as well as Pen-Pen are kept in-tact. What was changed is the Evas roars/screams, they're dubbed. Yes, that means you hear Ramiel's screaming in all it's original glory.

~The opening title card of "Evangelion New Theater Edition: Prologue (Jo)" is replaced with the English Funimation text of: "Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone"

~The 1.0 Eyecatch is left in tact.

~Shinji's gulp when he tries to explain himself to Rei is kept in tact. I found that amusing.

~Speaking of, Shinji calls Misato, Ritsuko, and Rei by their first names. No "Ayanami" or "Miss Misato/Ritsuko". I don't see why they changed Ayanami to Rei. :???: Oh, and Rei doesn't refer to Shinji by "Ikari" or "Shinji" at all.

~Shinji calling Gendo "Dad" instead of "father" took some getting used to, but it wasn't that bad.

~The pilots are referred to as "# Child" like the original series instead of "the # Girl" or "Boy" ala Webuild. I thought this was odd.

~"To Be Continued" is in English instead of leaving the Japanese つづく in tact.

~Those original Ending credits with the neat rainbow scrolling are replaced with some standard credits thing; Beautiful World still plays though.

~The Next Time Preview has text for "Preview" while the text for "Evangelion New Theater Edition: Division (Ha)" is replaced with more Funimation style text "Evangelion 2.0: You can (not) advance". That's also what dub Narrator Misato calls 2.0 instead of calling it "Evangelion: Division". She also claims it's "coming soon"... Guess we'll see.

I might have missed a few things, but that's what I remember.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:14 pm

SPOILER: Show
~Those original Ending credits with the neat rainbow scrolling are replaced with some standard credits thing; Beautiful World still plays though.
Ffffffffffff
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
~Shinji calling Gendo "Dad" instead of "father" took some getting used to, but it wasn't that bad.

Response to  SPOILER: Show
Huh. That is kind of weird to picture. I can't really imagine Spike's Shinji to say "Dad" instead of "Father". It sounds interesting but really weird...

Yeah... I am trying to just picture and no matter what it just seems... weird.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Senel17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Senel17 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Huh. That is kind of weird to picture. I can't really imagine Spike's Shinji to say "Dad" instead of "Father". It sounds interesting but really weird...

Yeah... I am trying to just picture and no matter what it just seems... weird.

Blasphemy!
"Don't look back, for you are turning away from the truth!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:52 pm

NaveryW wrote:Ffffffffffff

Reply and a question about Funimation 1.0 subbed version  SPOILER: Show
Well, it makes sense considering they needed to have English credits for the film SOMEHOW, though what's interesting is they write the names of Anno, etc Japanese-style (Anno Hideaki) just like Mangle did with the Death& Rebirth/EoE films.

I really hope the ending credits are left intact on the subtitled release of 1.0 (anybody who saw 1.0 subtitled, can they confirm or deny the original credits are kept?), or will be as an extra on the eventual 1.01 and 1.11 DVDs. >_<

Oh, speaking of subbing, something I forgot to mention earlier:

Another 1.0 dub thing  SPOILER: Show
No signs or any other things that would need subbing are subtitled. I thought that was somewhat odd.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:36 am

Can't say I'm surprised that Gendo's voice doesn't fit...out of all the new VAs, his was the one I was the most iffy on.

I recall someone posting a link to some samples of what they all sounded like, and Swasey's just kind of left me with a "meh" feeling.

As for Shinji screaming...yeah, it would sound totally off if they were to do this, but they should just leave Ogata's screaming, rather than Spike's. Don't get me wrong, I like his Shinji...it's just his screams...well...I sometimes laugh uncontrollably when I hear them.

Well, I will be looking forward to buying it in November, provided it's not insanely priced.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:38 am

1.01 will be released in November while 1.11 is getting a spring release, I think 1.01 is about $25 from what I've seen of preorders.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:1.01 will be released in November while 1.11 is getting a spring release, I think 1.01 is about $25 from what I've seen of preorders.

Gah.....Spring.....Bah humbug. I wimper a little bit everytime somebody gives us all a reminder that we need to wait until Spring for the 1.11 blu ray to release in North America. It can't take any longer than this for Funimation to release this thing. I hope 2.0's eventual blu ray release in North America wont take nearly as long....

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”