Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 pm

@Eva Monkey Very insightful thanks. :thumbsup:
Last edited by The Invincible Shinji on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:21 pm

What a case of looney tunes.

A shitty actress with some serious issues. I'd be happy to see her not return.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:28 pm

I'd like to see Tiffany Grant return as Asuka. After giving some though I'm not sure I'd be open to anyone replacing her.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sammaeloo
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:28 pm

^ I can imagine her in her bedroom crying with the lights dimmed wearing a red wig while screaming Asuka dub lines at herself in a mirror if she gets replaced.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Axell
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm

this reminds me, the whole eva dub cast minus spencer was in golden boy. I was forced to watch this with friends and i couldnt help but cringe in fear when tiffany played a slut who was dating a yakuza goon voiced by McAvery

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:07 am

I saw the dub tonight, and it was surprisingly good.

Shinji - Spike Spencer performed much better than he ever did in the TV series. It seems like he has grown quite a lot as an actor. His line delivery was spot on almost all of the time. He embodied the role quite well, and was very convincing. The only complaint I have is that his screams are somewhat comical, and when Eva-01 gets blasted by Ramiel, his screams were so ridiculous they actually made me start laughing.

Misato - Allison Keith-Shipp did a good job, too. While I still think her acting can be a little weak, and her voice shrill, for the most part she was fine. She had the proper amount of gravity during dramatic scenes, and the right amount of lightheartedness in the fun scenes. Not bad at all.

Rei - Her voice actress was excellent. She was able to be quiet and solemn, without sounding fake and hoarse like AWL. She doesn't have that many lines, but her delivery for all of them was perfect. Without a doubt, she was one of the highlights of the dub.

Gendo - Why is Crispin Freeman not voicing this character? Gendo was all right, but not too memorable. He came off as more of a bastard than the previous dub actor, which is definitely a good thing. Still, there was something lacking in his performance. Maybe he comes across as too emotionally involved, where Gendo should seem detached. Again, a good performance, but not amazing.

Fuyutsuki - He sounds too much like Gendo, and sometimes it can be hard to tell which character is speaking. I'm apathetic to his performance as he does not have much of a presence in this movie.

Ritsuko - Sort of flat sounding. She had more of the detached voice that Gendo should have had. I think her actress, while good, could have been better. There's just something about her voice that doesn't quite fit the character.

Toji - The best Toji so far. At first I didn't like his voice, but it grew on me. By the end, I thought he fit the role well.

Kensuke - I disagree with Eva Monkey here. I think that Greg Ayres did an awesome job. His higher pitch, almost puberty-cracking voice was perfect for the role. He had the right amount of enthusiasm and nerdiness to make Kensuke memorable.

Keel - Although he only shows up in Monolith form, his voice is menacing as hell. Great choice.

Kaworu - He seemed all right, but his part was too brief to make any real judgment.

Bridge Bunnies - They sort of just blend into the scenes, and nobody stood apart from the others.

While I don't think this cast will ever surpass the original Japanese actors, Funimation did a damn good job. This time they had a real director instead of motherfucking Matt Greenfield, and that payed off in spades. Spike and Allison have had years to improve their skills, and with a competent director, were able to turn in great performances. Overall, the dub was good, and I can entertain the idea of watching it again in the future. While the original Japanese is still the best, this English dub is a vast improvement over the ADV dub.

And also, it rocked watching Eva on the big screen in a movie theater.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:13 am

Interesting. While not a dub fan I will give this a spin sometime. Though since it's not playing anywhere near me I guess I'll get my first view of it on DVD. Oh well....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 am

Good to hear. ^_^

To be honest, Spike's screams almost always sound comical to me (his scream at the end of 25' had me in stitches while Thanatos~if I can't be yours~ played -_- )

Thanks for the review.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:03 am

BrikHaus wrote:
While I don't think this cast will ever surpass the original Japanese actors, Funimation did a damn good job. This time they had a real director instead of motherfucking Matt Greenfield, and that payed off in spades. Spike and Allison have had years to improve their skills, and with a competent director, were able to turn in great performances. Overall, the dub was good, and I can entertain the idea of watching it again in the future. While the original Japanese is still the best, this English dub is a vast improvement over the ADV dub.

And also, it rocked watching Eva on the big screen in a movie theater.

So judging from your thoughts i suppose you would find this to be a competent english dub? One that wouldn't illicit snicker or scoffing from a more general audience? I personally have no problem with going to see this dub, but i'm considering taking an unintiated friend along for the ride, who knows absolutely nothing about Eva.

I wonder if he'll find the dub atrocious? In fact this film were to have a wider release with the new english dub i wonder how movie critics across North America would react? :smirk:

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:59 am

BrikHaus wrote:I saw the dub tonight, and it was surprisingly good.

[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:17 am

Any serious thoughts about the Kaji or Asuka for 2.0?

I don't want this mere suggestion to provoke spoilers, but ideas will do.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

TheLobe
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 am

people rarely hate dubs if they watch it first. unless the dub is truly atrocious.

schismatics
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 am

Looking forward to this dub! Yay for Funimation and their decent sized budgets! :thumbsup:

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Kensuke - I disagree with Eva Monkey here. Blah blah blah, I want to have Greg Ayres' babies. Also pie.

You are dead to me.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

thedarkorb
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

I forget...who voiced Kaji in the series? I wonder if there is any chance of him returning in 2.0.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:So judging from your thoughts i suppose you would find this to be a competent english dub?

Yes.

One that wouldn't illicit snicker or scoffing from a more general audience?

I doubt a more general audience would find much fault with this dub, other than Allison Keith-Shipp's occassionally ear-piercing voice.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm

thedarkorb wrote:I forget...who voiced Kaji in the series?
It was Aaron Krohn
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:08 am

So,does this mean the dub is good or bad?Or in the middle?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:41 am

Eva 04 wrote:So,does this mean the dub is good or bad?Or in the middle?

From what I've read in another rebuild dub thread some people really liked it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am

Hey just wanted to revive this old thread. I was wondering you all whether the new english dub from funimation also had the teaser trailer for 2.0 at the end of the credits? Otherwise i might just stick around a bit longer after the film is over when i see in theaters a month from now.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”