2.0 Angels Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final installment is scheduled to debut in Japan on January 23, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God

[Spoilers] 2.0 Angels Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 pm

We've seen (kinda) the fun that was Zeurel but what I want to ask those who've seen the film- how did you feel about the other Angel battles.

I understand the first two angels (Tunnel & Clock...shouldn't we be getting official names now?) were taken down fast but do the battles feel kind've tacked on or too easy (I've heard here that Clockliel is literally down in less than 60 seconds). I'm especially intrigued by Sahaquiel which must've been an amazing battle.

Basically what I'm asking is all the reviews I've read spoiled a lot of details about the plot but didn't really go into their personal opinions about the battles (outside of-
"Angel went down quick" or "It had a lot of new stuff") in detail. So particularly to Ornette mind talking about you felt how they handled the other 4 Angels themselves.

THANKS!

(Half my topics get spliced up, just tired and playing safe,didn't intend to start problems)
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 pm

The 1st 2 angels weren't much. They definitely felt like an introduction for Mari and Asuka, and less of an "angel battle". Although the first angel's fight lasted longer, both of them were a cool way to introduce what would be new characters to Rebuild, and they do so very very well. Mari being a little crazy in a nonchallant way, and Asuka being flashy, loud and skillful, are both represented by their battles. In comparison to the other 3 angel fights, these seemed more like short action sequences, but it was the beginning of the movie so it didn't feel tacked on or out of place.

Saha was awesome, on the epic scale of Ramiel from the first movie. It was cool watching the Evas run to intercept Saha. There was this one corny moment where the ground lifts up to form a somewhat angled track for Eva-01 to run on, in order for Shinji to change directions without losing his speed. In general it wasn't that different than the TV series but it was longer, more detailed, and everything was turned up to 11. The angel redesign really gave you a sense of frightening terror unlike the Saha from the TV series, which kind of looked like a huge orange stuffed animal in comparison.

Bardiel was also awesome but not in an epic battle kind of way. It was mainly the song that played after the Dummy System took over that made that battle, because otherwise, it's really not that different from the TV series. There's something about kindergardeners singing a happy song while guts, intestines, and arms are being ripped out and thrown nonchallantly all over the place that makes this fight seem much more powerful than in the TV series.

The Zer fight was the longest by far, and Zeruel was unstoppable compared to the other previous angels. I think all of the angel battles were great, but I think Bardiel really is my favorite so far. It felt like my heart just got ripped out when the entry plug gets crushed (I didn't read any spoilers, so I really thought Asuka was dead).

Otakon 08 Ikari
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I still have yet to see a good image of the Tunnel angel -does he have an official name?- I can't wait to see Asuka within 03 which just throws me off and I really can't wait to see the Zer. battle on the big screen. The cam rip was good but live will be better.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Angel's names: Tunniel is the Third Angel. Clockiel is the Seventh Angel. Pretty boring, no? If they have any actual angel names in mind for the newcomers, they're obviously holding out on us. Hopefully they'll have an exposition like they did in the series (maybe once all the Angels are dead); ordinals are kinda boring.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the Angel encounters. And Zeruel in HD, even if he commits the disgrace of turning into something out of a bad late-night Halloween movie.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Otakon 08 Ikari
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I need an image of the new angels and not a fan made one but the real deal. Zer. should be pretty awesome in HD. I kinda like how he..she..she? She turns into a giant woman as if the third is going to happen via her.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:I need an image of the new angels and not a fan made one but the real deal.

Patience, deary...

[Zer] turns into a giant woman as if the third is going to happen via her.

^ Oh so exploitable. Insert EoE shoops here.

GNR!Zeruel will definitely become part of my "trolling Rei fans" arsenal when it's freed from its current spoilerific status. And it will be glorious.

And regarding Zeruel's gender identity... If we treat Zeruel as "female-aligned" from the start, then so many great (lousy and predictable) jokes are lost!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:She turns into a giant woman as if the third is going to happen via her.

It is kind of weird how apparently any random contact between Rei and an Angel of the Day will cause the Third Impact now. If you have pre-designed plans on exactly where and how you want the event to occur, it's kind of a bad idea to put a giant orange beacon on the ignition key and invite the enemy to steal it in every battle.

schismatics
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Ornette wrote:Saha was awesome, on the epic scale of Ramiel from the first movie. It was cool watching the Evas run to intercept Saha.

Yeah from what I've seen on a dinky camrip Sahaquiel looked EPIC. But however the camrip only contained the stabbing of his core and him exploding (there was blood EVERYWHERE!!!!!!).

I'm more excited for how they're going to have the battles for 3.0/Final. :thumbsup:

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:53 pm

I wonder if Tunniel (3rd Angel) counted in Gendo's "8 Remaining Angels" dialogue in 1.0. (considering when he said it in the narrative Ramiel is one of the 8).

If the 3rd Angel was included then other than Kaworu 3.0 would only have to introduce one other Angel (not counting the 1st & 2nd Angel). If the 3rd Angel wasn't included then there's 2 new Angels.

But that probably belongs in a 3.0 topic. Regardless, the Angel battle I most want to see right now is Sahaquiel. I'm really curious about these additions to the "Hugging Angel"

Asuka's Plug Suit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka's Plug Suit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:07 am

If Tunniel is the Third Angel...
SPOILER: Show
then who got turned into the Eva Mark 6? I just kind of assumed THAT was the Third Angel, as Kaworu seemed to indicate at the end of 1.0.

My biggest problem with the Tunniel battle was that it so dark that it was difficult to see anything. Clockiel, however, was perfect. And Asuka was graceful, elegant, and clean, with no wasted movement. ^_^
あんたバカ...?
I am (not) a geek.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 am

They pretty clearly say it was the 3rd Angel, in English. All of the talking gave me the impression that it was "captured" or something and was attempting to escape, thus why it's the 3rd and not following Ramiel. From the end of 1.0, I thought that Kaworu was the 3rd, because he was coming out of the 3rd coffin.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 am

This is a spoilers thread, so you don't have to place spoiler tags.

Asuka's Plug Suit wrote:If Tunniel is the Third Angel...then who got turned into the Eva Mark 6? I just kind of assumed THAT was the Third Angel, as Kaworu seemed to indicate at the end of 1.0.

We just assumed that the thing on the moon was the Third Angel and speculated that it would be converted to Eva-06 back when we didn't have any better information. Now we know that Tunneliel is the Third, and there's no slot in the Angel lineup to assign to Eva-06. Kaworu's dialogue was deliberately kept ambiguous so that we'd be left guessing who he meant by "the third".
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 am

Sah..ha..the orange angel was much more scary in design and definately posed a bigger threat than in the series. and i swear he's much larger as well.

Bardiel just creeped me out, it REALLY isn't pleasant.

i was disappointed about Clockiel, I was looking forward to seeing more of him but I guess it wasn't meant to be. The first 2 really served their purpose of introducing Asuka and Mari.

Zeruel was...well... Zeruel really, just badass as always but even more epic than the series.

I wonder what angels we will get next movie?
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Asuka's Plug Suit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka's Plug Suit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:17 am

@ Ornette and UrsusArctos: Huh. I must've missed the labeling of the Third Angel (why the hell did that scene have to be so DARK?). And yeah...who WAS Kaworu talking about? Anyway, then...I guess we have our last two Angels: Kaworu and Eva Mark 6. I'm probably wrong, though.

Duskbyday wrote:Sah..ha..the orange angel was much more scary in design and definately posed a bigger threat than in the series. and i swear he's much larger as well.

Bardiel just creeped me out, it REALLY isn't pleasant.

i was disappointed about Clockiel, I was looking forward to seeing more of him but I guess it wasn't meant to be. The first 2 really served their purpose of introducing Asuka and Mari.

Zeruel was...well... Zeruel really, just badass as always but even more epic than the series.

I wonder what angels we will get next movie?

Bardiel was kind of a disapointment to me...while all the other Angels in Rebuild have been MASSIVELY more powerful than their TV counterparts, Bardiel was...a little lacking.

Zeruel made up for it, though. AND HOW![/i]
あんたバカ...?
I am (not) a geek.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:22 am

Bardiel wasn't meant to be powerful, it was meant to be disturbing.

Don't get your hopes up for Kaworu and Eva-06 being the last two Angels. Eva-06 is suspicious all right- some finger it as an "evil counterpart" to Eva-01, but there's nothing to classify it as an Angel. As for Kaworu, we'll just have to see. A guy who wakes up in a coffin and walks around in an airless, thermally uninsulated environment can't be human, but there's nothing stopping Anno from making him a whole new classification of Lilin instead of another Angel.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Otakon 08 Ikari
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 am

So a fusion with Rei and an Angel can start an Impact, there has to be more to it then just that cause if so I doubt they would put her on the battle field.

evaunit13
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:12 pm

maybe eva 01 had to go berserk or something and fuse or whatever with zeruel. so maybe gnr = Rei + angel, gnr + 01 = 3i or angel + adam/lilith/whoever's down there = 3i. i need to rewatch the series again
i want rebuild

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:23 pm

^ Complicated math.

I just put it as:

Eva 01= Adam.

Rei = Lilith

Zeurel= Angel

Adam + Lilith + Angel = Apocalyptic Threesome. Aka. THIRD IMPACT.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Ornette: Thanks a lot for your thoughts, it's insightful and helpful as always.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Otakon 08 Ikari
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Eva 01 = Lilith, seeing as she is a direct clone of her.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”