2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tab
Lilith

2.0 Translation Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:37 pm

As some of you may already know, very soon many people will have seen the final act of 2.0 while not necessarily having seen the rest. If you would like to, append the abbreviation of the word "camera" to the initialism "roe2", then search for the resulting string in a popular search engine.

This thread is for discussion of the final act, and also to launch the Rebuild of Evangelion 2 With AnnotateD English (or roe2wade) project:
[url]http://roe2wade.command-q.org[/url]

Here's an ongoing transcription by 2chan

Here is a rough translation of the ending by ear from a non-member (Aenigma on Rizon):
15:00
Rei: "It's okay, I can just live here now."
Shinji: "Nah I'm gonna help you"

16:00
Ritsuko: Something about disabling self destruct and going into a divine form and making energy in this form, and it only lives for that purpose.

18:00
Fuyutsuki: "Their bond is very strong"

18:50
Shinji: "Thanks, regarding my dad."
Rei: "Sorry I couldn't do anything."
Shinji: "It's okay like this."

19:10
Mari: "Now I see how it was... The smell was different"

20:00
Ritsuko: "The angel's dead. It's like 15 years ago. Third Impact is going to start. The world is going to end."

Credits

25:30
Misato: "What the fuck is that?"
Kaworu: "It's the promised time, Shinji. At last, I'll make you experience paradise."

RockManBalls commenting on Ritsuko's dialogue (ripped out of the spoilers discussion thread):
RockManBalls wrote:She tells Shinji he won't be able to go back to human form if he keeps ripping off Gurren Lagann. Then Misato tells Shinji to keep going because he's piloting for himself even though he just said he doesn't care what happens to the world as long as he saves Ayanami. Ritsuko begins on a long tangent about Unit-01 returning to it's original form, throwing off the "curse" humans had put on it, going beyond human beings and becoming a God. She says Unit-01 is becoming an energy converter creating a giant wave which all life will be sucked into. Later on she says it has become a new form of life and all previous life will be destroyed. Never says much about instrumentality. Just pwnstrumentality.

Google translation of Ritsuko's dialogue based on the 2chan transcript:
Ritsuko: Regained its original appearance and Eva had to keep in range of people ... to solve the curse of his people, over people, will change to more of a God ... and all things spun the heavens and the earth, The huge swell of complementarity, I will have to transform the energy of condensation of the wishes of the people themselves ...
Ritsuko: Management of this world exceeds the birth of a new organism. The old life as a price fall.
Misato: the wings!? The same 15 years ago!!!
Ritsuko: Yeah ... more of the Second Impact, the beginning of the Third Impact, the end of the world

Lili's call and take on Kaworu's line:
LiLi wrote:"Saa, yakusoku no toki da, Ikari Shinji-kun. Kondo koso kimi dake ha, shiawase ni shite miseru yo..."
"Come now, this is the promised time, Ikari Shinji-kun. This time*, I will make you, at least, happy..."

*could also be taken to mean "now". koso = "for sure", added for emphasis.

Regarding the music:
LiLi wrote:The title is "Tsubasa wo kudasai" (Give Me Wings) - a song published by folk group Akai Tori in 1971, I think.
Last edited by Tab on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 am, edited 6 times in total.

Evafan
Adam

Re: Last act of 2.0 (SPOILERS)

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:18 am

LiLi wrote:...This time (koso= for sure, added for emphasis), I will make you, at least, happy..."

It's been said before but not enough. Anno is such a troll.

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:10 am

Tab wrote:Regarding the music:
LiLi wrote:The title is "Tsubasa wo kudasai" (Give Me Wings) - a song published by folk group Akai Tori in 1971, I think.
You know, when I was watching the camrip, I thought to myself "Hmm, where have I heard this music before?" This helped me remember. It was during an installment of a series on Nicovideo in which someone attempted to play through an overclocked, 3x normal speed (yes, feel free to make Char jokes) version of Super Mario Bros. 3. After a particularly heart-wrenching scene in which the player used up his one P-Wing item to attempt to clear the High Speed Airship Fleet in World 8 only to carelessly fall and die at the last moment, there was a scene of various "flashback" moments in which this song was used.

EDIT: Looking back, I was wrong about the exactly when it was used... it was actually used earlier around the second Fortress in World 7.
Last edited by felineki on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 am

It was 1 epic ending, is it me or can there be more than 1 version of 3rd impact depending on the situation and who merges with who.
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

mastervampire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am

Tab wrote:This time (koso= for sure, added for emphasis), I will make you, at least, happy

what does he mean by THIS TIME?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:21 am

This time (koso= for sure, added for emphasis), I will make you, at least, happy.

I said this in the spoilers thread, but I think it's worth repeating here - I suppose it *could* also be taken to mean "now".

I also suppose the ambiguity could be taken to mean Director Anno is trolling us. To keep us busy, you know.

BTW, I think there are other bits I translated from the part before the ED credits in the Spoilers thread, if anyone wants to take a look, but I don't have time to go hunt for them right now. Also, I need coffee. Else brain sense make not does. :blush:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:50 am

LiLi wrote:I said this in the spoilers thread, but I think it's worth repeating here - I suppose it *could* also be taken to mean "now".

My friend shat the same bricks everyone else did when I repeated the line to him as "This time". I explained it this way:
There's an ambiguity as to whether the implication is "This time around" or "At this time", which drastically changes the meaning from "this has happened in the past and is recurring" to "this is something that's happening right now".

The translation done by Aenigma (first one) phrases it as "At last", or the second meaning.

I added your footnote to the OP.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 am

Tab wrote:My friend shat the same bricks everyone else did when I repeated the line to him as "This time". I explained it this way:
There's an ambiguity as to whether the implication is "This time around" or "At this time", which drastically changes the meaning from "this has happened in the past and is recurring" to "this is something that's happening right now".

Doesn't Kaworu say something along the lines of "that Ikari kid is always trouble" at the end of 1.0, anyway?

I think that, if it's not a direct sequel to EoE, there's at least some sort of overall recurring cycle going on in this AU.

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 am

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Doesn't Kaworu say something along the lines of "that Ikari kid is always trouble" at the end of 1.0, anyway?
I think that, if it's not a direct sequel to EoE, there's at least some sort of overall recurring cycle going on in this AU.

Take it to the sequel theory thread, this is solely for discussing the finale of 2.0 and possible translations.

Website is up at [url]http://roe2wade.command-q.org[/url]
Last edited by Tab on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 am

Gah.

Everytime I think of theory to explain this, I keep finding holes in it. >_<

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 am

Tab wrote:Take it to the sequel theory thread, this is solely for discussing the finale of 2.0 and possible translations.

That's ... what I'm saying. You need to consider the overall context if you want to second guess what Kaworu is saying at the end of 2.0.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 am

Yah know just for the record, I thought I should have been freaked out by LiLis display picture. But it seems a hell of a lot more right than wrong..Damn
Shinji.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:06 am

Ok, r2w website is complete for the time being and works in Firefox 3.5 and WebKit-based browsers such as Safari and Chrome (other browsers not tested, the site relies heavily on HTML5). Will add functionality as necessary, but for the small amount of work that we do have, this will suffice and hopefully serve to generate interest.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am

wonderluster wrote:Yah know just for the record, I thought I should have been freaked out by LiLis display picture. But it seems a hell of a lot more right than wrong..Damn
Shinji.

Why, thank you... ^_^
If you'd like to see the whole picture, I posted it in the infamous Shinjiko thread... :shinji_blush:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 am

When I watched the camrip and saw Unit 01 going berserk,I thought Misato was begging Shinji to stop.Didnt think she would cheer him on.That was a suprise.

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 pm

I like the google translation; it reminds me of that episode of Star Trek: TNG where Picard is stranded with that alien dude who talks in metaphor. The Darmok and Jalad guy: Shinji and Rei at Geofrontgra. Ritsuko, when the walls fell. Unit-01, his arms wide.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:03 pm

RockManBalls wrote:it reminds me of that episode of Star Trek: TNG where Picard is stranded with that alien dude who talks in metaphor. (snip)

:lol:

Here's my lame contribution to the thread, just to fix one flagrant problem I noticed. (If I were at my normal computer which has all my Jap crap on it, I'd indulge in much, much more.) When Misato clutches the cross from Daddy...

Misato: Wings... Just like fifteen years ago.
Ritsuko: Yes. Third Impact will begin, picking up where Second Impact left off. The world is going to end.

And in some attempt to divert the off-and-on conversation from the bloated 2.0 Discussion thread...

- It looks to me like the red Rei forms from Zeruel's dissolved body -- whether this is significant or not, I dunno.

- I have no idea whether the S2 Engine has been mentioned so far. But, I recall that they added a line about Angels having the Fruit of Life and us having the Fruit of Knowledge to 1.11. So this might mean that Eva-01 has something other than "AYANAMIIIIII!!!" to gain from Zeruel's core -- the Fruit of Life, whether it's still a spiral-thingy or something completely different this time around. (Kudos to Otakon for his persistence that Eva-01 gained something from Zeruel.)

- Axell wrote back in the other thread:

i'm thinking of the Shinji working with yui theory though.
pretty sure they were never trained to shoot lazers or refine at fields into arms. it seemed like yui was in control, but doing whatever Shinji vaguely wanted

After looking over the scene some more, I'm edging this way, too. It kind of seems like another Evangelion instance of "two things happening at once". Exactly what's happening between Yui and Shinji is a bit cryptic at the moment (and quite possibly always will be), but it's hard to shake the feeling that there's a force greater than a Shinji interested in little more than retrieving Rei at work... So Shinji is metaphysically focused on his thing, and Yui is handling the badassery, and both of their goals incidentally collide.

Well, I'd feel a little better about things if it went something like that. :toothy:

- A mysterious spear hurtles down from the stratosphere and cuts the fireworks display short.
Eva-01 is now a shish kabob.

Yui: "Just as planned..."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Reichu wrote:After looking over the scene some more, I'm edging this way, too.

Finally! :3

Thanks for your thoughts btw, it's always nice to read them.

So Shinji is metaphysically focused on his thing, and Yui is handling the badassery, and both of their goals incidentally collide.

Excellent way of putting it. Once I watched the camrip the first time, I thought that's what was going on myself, though I thought of it more as a "Shinji and Eva become one" deal.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks Reichu, I added your more comprehensible translation (Aenigma isn't a follower of the series so what I got from him I had to essentially reinterpret myself in the context of the series).

Keep them coming and if anyone can translate don't forget to do the join thing on the website (though you guys know my contact info anyhow, and that's basically where the join exercises lead).

Edit: Annotations may also now be classed <dd>s rather than only <aside>s. This allows for gists and summaries to replace dialogue until we have real dialogue (most of Ritsuko).

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Reichu wrote:
they added a line about Angels having the Fruit of Life and us having the Fruit of Knowledge to 1.11. So this might mean that Eva-01 has something other than "AYANAMIIIIII!!!" to gain from Zeruel's core -- the Fruit of Life, whether it's still a spiral-thingy or something completely different this time around. (Kudos to Otakon for his persistence that Eva-01 gained something from Zeruel.)
That fits in perfectly with what we know of Anno’s expositions and the hints we’ve seen so far, beneath the syrupy Shinji rescue there are most certainly equally bitter consequences and shadowy motivations in what is a subversion of the heroic rescue theme.

Reichu wrote:
After looking over the scene some more, I'm edging this way, too. It kind of seems like another Evangelion instance of "two things happening at once". Exactly what's happening between Yui and Shinji is a bit cryptic at the moment (and quite possibly always will be), but it's hard to shake the feeling that there's a force greater than a Shinji interested in little more than retrieving Rei at work... So Shinji is metaphysically focused on his thing, and Yui is handling the badassery, and both of their goals incidentally collide…
Yui: "Just as planned..."
I guess it kind of seems like that, it certainly was outside of what would be normal with the pilots and they made no efort to hide the fact that Shinji was being lifted up by something. Ritsuko’s worry about Shinji going berserk and Gendo’s approval in Yui’s work seems to imply that Yui moved the extra mile for a reason besides the twincest.

wonderluster wrote:Yah know just for the record, I thought I should have been freaked out by LiLis display picture. But it seems a hell of a lot more right than wrong..Damn
Shinji.
I don't see what the big worry is, if you hadn't identified Shin-chan as a "boy" it would seem completely natural to you. ^_^
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”