EVA-00's Soul

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
tobias
Embryo

EVA-00's Soul

•      
  •      

Postby tobias » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 am

I've heard a couple of theories for this one, but none of them solidly substantiated.
Many assumed outright (myself included) that is is Naoko Akagi, but others believe it is Rei-1. I'm not sure which way to believe now, but I'm still leaning toward the Naoko side. Why? Because the other souls are mothers, just like Akagi was. While Rei was cloned from a mother (two, in fact), she is not a mother herself.
True, we see images of chibiesque Rei 1 when Shinji tries the compatibility test in Ep. 14, but that is the only piece of evidence for the Rei theory. However, remember that Akagi's last few minutes are when she strangles Rei and leaps to her death. I'm sure she then hated Rei, Gendo, and most likely the entire E Project for using her. her last thoughts were most likely negative and directed at Rei and Gendo. that explains why she tried to destroy EVA-00 and its pilot (both the secon Rei and Gendo's son) on two separate occasions.

i want to hear all of your opinionsand evidence, though...
Tobias war hier!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: EVA-00's Soul

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:06 am

It couldn't be Rei 1's soul because that was put into Rei 2, right?

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:44 am

I'd say you can't really say Naoko is in Eva 00 because unlike Shinji and Asuka's mothers, there really isn't anything to support it, in literal terms. We obviously know Shinji's mother got absorbed into Unit 01, that was her ultimate fate. We know Asuka's mom did somewhat too, leaving her physical self as insane and suicidal. Naoko? Well she strangled Rei then immediately killed herself. Without official evidence, only thoughts because she hated Rei as Unit 00 seemed to, I wouldn't put too much faith in it, as of now.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:57 am

We all know that the soul of Rei-1 went to Rei-2. And we all know that the souls can't be copied.
So this are the possibilities:
1) It has Naoko's soul: but this theory was made because of the reaction of Eva-00 when it went berserker. (this theory isn't very strong).
2) Rei's soul is Lilith's soul, so maybe it has special habilities, like being inside Rei and inside the core at the same time, like omnipresence.
3) Eva-00 has no soul: it's said that the eva needs a soul to have an AT-field, but is a soul inside the core? or it's reffered to the pilot's soul? (The eva series have a soul or not?)
4) Rei pilots the eva like Kaworu, but kaworu could pilot the eva because both are sons of Adam, so this theory sucks.
4) Evangelion it's just a cartoon, and the creators didn't care about puting a soul in Eva-00 or give a logic explination...
*insert cool signature here*

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:58 pm

Once again I believe the "It's just a cartoon" theory is correct. It's quite possilble that the creators themselves never even thought about unit 00's soul.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:28 pm

I think there was definite intention as to who's soul unit-00 contains, and the answer probably lies in the fact that when unit-00 went berserker during Rei's previous contact experiment it was punching at the glass, either at Gendo, Ritsuko, or both of them. Some people argue that it was just reacting to being restrained, but Ritsuko actually says she thought it was attacking her, the creators wouldn't have added that in if there was no soul, so who would be attacking Ritsuko or Gendo? Naoko Akagi seems to be the best answer.
Another good theory, and now that I think about, it's probably the best answer, is that Rei herself can use her own soul to pilot the eva, like Kaworu did. It would explain Shinji's vision of Rei in unit-00, it would possibly explain why unit-00 attacked Ritsuko and/or Gendo, and it would explain why Rei sustained so many injuries during the contact experiment, but didn't seem fazed at all until later.
Also, there's no way unit-00 doesn't contain a soul because it can use an AT-field.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:39 pm

If the Eva-00 has has an AT-field because of it's soul, then the Eva series also should have a soul, don't they?. But what souls they used for the eva series? (that should be another topic...)

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:05 pm

Nephilim wrote:If the Eva-00 has has an AT-field because of it's soul, then the Eva series also should have a soul, don't they?. But what souls they used for the eva series? (that should be another topic...)

Eh? The eva series don't have a soul of their own, they have a human soul. That's how they're able to use an AT-field, a human soul.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:31 pm

That's what i mean, the evas have a human soul in their cores.

I think that the probabilities are reduced to 2:
1)Naoko's soul.
2)Rei pilots the eva like Kaworu, but in a sucky way, and without even knowing she can do it.

I don't put my hands on the fire for neither of both, because episode 14 is too much complicated. :wink:

Xenogil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Xenogil » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:42 pm

So, an Eva needs a soul to produce an AT field? I thought that the AT field was produced by the pilot and the Evangelion amplified it. Also, Kwarou said that he was able to control EVA unit 02 because it was hiding it's soul, or something along the lines of that. If that is the case, then Rei should be able to have similar abilities. So the conclusion that I have come up with is that Unit 00 has no soul.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:42 pm

the eva series has no at field capabilities because there are no souls...they are piloted by dummy plugs...though the cores might have souls...

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Oh boy...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:31 pm

See what happens when you try to pick apart the infernal jigsaw puzzle that is Evangelion? Curse you Anno! Why, even a decade after the show ended, the mysteries of Eva still haunt us!?
Cool avatar by the way Nephilim.

Seriously though, there are a bunch of good theories here, and it was only after reading this thread I realized I'd never really thought about where and how the AT field is generated.

Kind of a which came first the chick or the egg question, who creates the At field, the pilot or the Eva?
I've never really understood why everybody thought it was Akagi's mother who was in the Eva. I mean apart from the obvious, she hated Gendo's guts, but do you really think she was the only one?
Imagine how many enemies Gendo must have made by the time Unit-00 was perfected.

There is really no proof that says Naoko Akagi is in the Evangelion, she created the MAGI, and had a afair with Gendo and was discarded bv him.
She killed young Rei and then herself. This is really all we know, and none of that supports the Naoko Akagi theory.

Same thing goes for the Rei I theory, she was killed by Naoko, and her self then returned to the cloning tanks, else Rei II could not have been reanimated.

One thing we do know, is that only the original test pilot's soul or body is consumed by the Eva. Example: Yui Ikari, body and mind, Seyoko, soul?
We are not however told who the test pilot was, and I've always had serious doubt it was Naoko, she knew the risk remember? she knew what was going to happen to Yui, and I doubt she would have risked herself inside unit-00.

As far as a test pilot goes, I assume unit 00 held deep hatred for Gendo because the test piilot did. maybe he was a old flame of Ritsukos and upon seeing her and gendo together is constantly overcome with rage for them both. Of course there was the other activation test with blue unit-00 when it seemed it was going for Rei. That maybe a important clue as to the orginal test pilot's ID.

Some who hates Ritsuko, Gendo, and Rei...That narrows the field doesn't it? (NO!)

Another popular theory is that UNit-00 itself, the soul that lives in the Eva's core, (Evas are human remember?) attacked the test area in a attempt to escape, as has already been stated, though, there would be no reason for Ritsuko to note how it was going after her if the answer was that simple.

Personally, I always thought is was a unamed player in the game a researcher who helped Gendo develop the cloning tanks for Rei maybe, or someone who had ties to Naoko and was jealous of Gendo, or loved Ritsuko and hated her and Gendo for using him/her.

Bottom line, I think this is how Anno (curse him) designed eva. The loose ends are NOT plot holes, I'm sure everybody Anno included has some peraonal Idea who or what is in Unit-00, but just coming right out and saying "It was ___" would ruin all the fun we have pulling are hair out as we try to figure it out ourselves. :D

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:38 am

most sites that i visit say that eva 00 contains naoko's soul...
and Rei explains the AT field in some episode to Asuka in an elevator, that it has to do with the soul of the pilot and the soul of the eva and being open or something...Asuka (in EoE) says that her mother's soul is projecting the AT field in a way: "mama...now i know the meaning of the AT field"

Grip_Tight_Thin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grip_Tight_Thin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:05 pm

I think that Yui controls both 00 and 01. Simply for the reason that they never say what soul is in 00. But in the manga #8 it says that Yui was absorbed in 00 not 01. This of course doesn't make sense. Why the hell then is Yui's soul in 01.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:07 pm

I made a thread about the unit-00 thing in the Manga Discussions forum, turns out it was a typo.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:49 pm

could lillith's soul be in 00? that would explain why it could contact it without causing thrid impact...

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:58 pm

Lilith's soul is in Rei...
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

belial11737
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby belial11737 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:13 pm

Nephilim wrote:That's what i mean, the evas have a human soul in their cores.

:wink:

Evas have souls.....except for Unit 00
The synchronization between pilots and Evas derive from the complementation between body and soul......
Ritsuko: The chamber of Guff is empty
Ritsuko: The only vessel that can hold a soul is Rei
this means that none of the children have a soul.......the are complemented byt the souls of the Eva, and therefore they sychronize.....Rei has a soul, Unit 00 doesnt....they complement and sychronize......Shinji doesnt have a soul - Unit 00 doesnt either....therefor Unit 00 goes berserk
I dont know if this makes sence..... 8)

beholderseye
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby beholderseye » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:17 pm

You people are too fast to write off Rei 1 just becuase the soul was moved to Rei 2.

I disagree with the conclusion that the SOUL was moved to Rei 2. Throughout the series, Rei seems to lack a bit of what most would call a soul... she lives in pure submission. I personally think that all of these extra Rei's were soul-less or had fragments of a soul, or their own weak "dummy" souls not unlike a dummy plug.

Remember that a few times in the series, two Rei's were alive at one time. They couldnt, logicaly, share the same soul at the same time. I personaly think they were just biological replicas of each other.

I just dont think Rei 1 should be written off so fast.
"Bush/Cheney 2004, Lets not elect him this time once again"

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:18 pm

Um... when in the series were two Rei's alive at the same time?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”