Gendo's such a Badass

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

Gendo's such a Badass

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Mon May 30, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't know what it is, but Gendo seems to me like the type of person who could make fun of someone with a stutter, and actually feel good about bring ignominy upon that unfortunate soul.

Scene - Gendo meets Stutter Boy in the hallway.

Gendo: You're an idiot!

Stutter Boy: s-s-sss-s-s-sss-st-s-s

Gendo: You just got F'd in the A, Gendo Style.

(Gendo walks down the hallway singing to himself "Can't touch this" by MC Hammer)

Gendo: dooo dodo do....doo do....doo do can't touch this.

(Shinji walks onto the screen)

Shinji: Father. Why don't you like me?

Gendo: Hammer Time

(I gotta stop typing in dialog form)
Dirty: covered or marked with dirt.
Hamster: small rodent with a short tail and cheek pouches.

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Tue May 31, 2005 1:51 pm

Ok let me rephrase that question.

Who thinks that Gendo is actually capable of doing anything (bad that is)?

I mean, is he really a bad (or dare I say "evil") person,
or is he blinded so much by his love to be reunited with Yui that he now no longer knows the differences between good and bad actions.

DirtyHamster: What do you think? *pointing to everyone in the room, only to realize that he is the only person in the room*
DirtyHamster: I'm so lonely. :cry:
(walks up to a mirror)
DirtyHamster: :shock: Hello. I haven't seen you here before. What do you think?......are you listening to me?......HEY...Stop mimicking my movements......I SAID STOP IT. :x

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 pm

There's a way to stop being lonely (opens door to let in a giant glowing worm that merges with dirty hamster)

Anyway to answer the question

Who thinks that Gendo is actually capable of doing anything (bad that is)?

Just ask Shinji, he may be a little biased, but for the most part I think his answer would be accurate Gendos done a lot of bad stuff regardless of his motivations. I think with Gendo the word Machievellian would be the best way to describe his approach to things. If you agree with that sort of thinking I guess he wouldnt be such a bad guy. But otherwise I think its pretty safe to say he would be considered a bad person by most people.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 31, 2005 7:08 pm

What is evil? If someone is Machievellian, does that make them evil. Is Gendou more or less evil than say Keel?

Bear in mind that both Fuyutsuki and Ritsuko were privy to (almost?) all Gendou's plans, so any actions he committed, they were likely at least complicit, if not actively participant, in.

So can we describe Ritsuko as evil? Or Fuyutsuki? Fuyutsuki comes across as one of the least evil characters in the show, yet simultaniously he was involved in most of Nerv's dirtiest actions. Is Gendou more or less evil simply because he was so cold and uncaring?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Misuzu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Misuzu » Tue May 31, 2005 8:31 pm

i didn't think gendou was a bad person, he just didn't know how to express himself i guess. he's cool though.
Tabi Karasu - Traveling Crow Forums Anime/Games News updated everyday!
Contests - June - Header Graphics Click here for details.
Now looking for staff to help with site. Email me at [email protected] for details.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue May 31, 2005 8:58 pm

DirtyHamster wrote:I mean, is he really a bad (or dare I say "evil") person?

No. And I doubt you ever thought he was, and I doubt you expect anyone else to think so.
DirtyHamster wrote:or is he blinded so much by his love to be reunited with Yui that he now no longer knows the differences between good and bad actions.

No. He knew the differences, he just chose to ignore them, lest something interfere with his train of thought, which led straight to Yui.

A better question would be: Could Gendo's actions really be considered evil? But that would bring up yet another discussion about morals and relativism and I'm sure that sex, somehow, would be worked into the discussion (we always do find a way). So let's not do that, either.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:39 am

Phaze wrote:

No. And I doubt you ever thought he was, and I doubt you expect anyone else to think so.

Off course I expect people to think that Gendo's evil. He might be acting on love but what the hell gives him the right to choose what humanity needs. He's just being a selfish asshole. He "may" have thought that his actions were improving humanity but he still does not have the right to take away someones life/individually.

He never helped anyone in his life, he only took.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:19 am

Hmmm.....well he did help Yui get a lot taller then she used to be....

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:36 am

Defectron wrote:Hmmm.....well he did help Yui get a lot taller then she used to be....

Well, Ok. He probably helped her achieve a life long dream.

Yui: You now dear, there is something that I never told you.
Gendo: ......?
Yui: I want to be the tallest person in the world!
Gendo: Really. :twisted:

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 am

DirtyHamster wrote:
Phaze wrote:

Off course I expect people to think that Gendo's evil. He might be acting on love but what the hell gives him the right to choose what humanity needs. He's just being a selfish asshole. He "may" have thought that his actions were improving humanity but he still does not have the right to take away someones life/individually.

hmmm, (in Eva) maybe everyone should have had a chance to vote for/against the plan of HIP, that'd be interesting to see how it turns out. 8)
however, I think he's selfish, and having the whole human race without knowing it had been forced by one man(or group of a few) to be artificially evolved is definitely unfair in a common sense. 8) But I think elitism also has its good and bad sides, so does democracy and any other political systems, and there're many of those in the history a man like Gendou who could be either seen as a hero or devil in different eyes and at different times. In a nutshell I will say that it's imposible to find out what's absolute right and wrong(since lack of the absolute authentication), or in other words it's like saying "the truth is, there's no truth"(something seems wrong in this sentence). 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:22 am

My definition of a good person: anyone who makes a positive difference in someone elses life to the point that the person who was in need, is now willing to make a positive difference in someone elses life.

If everyone acted like this then Gendo would have no need to artificially evolve the whole flippin human race.

Now in my eyes, everything that Gendo does is just for himself. The Gendo style of thinking is the very reason that humans needed to be artificially evolved in the first place.

This world would be a lot better off if there were no "Gendos" around.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:37 am

Dirty wrote:Off course I expect people to think that Gendo's evil. He might be acting on love but what the hell gives him the right to choose what humanity needs. He's just being a selfish asshole. He "may" have thought that his actions were improving humanity but he still does not have the right to take away someones life/individually.

But is Evangelion really the type of show that would portray someone as pure evil? Let's leave that to DBZ.
Hamster wrote:If everyone acted like this then Gendo would have no need to artificially evolve the whole flippin human race.

That was SEELE's endeavor, not Gendo's. His plan was to complement himself, and return the rest of humanity back to there human forms, as this is the only way he could end up with Yui.
Hamutaro-kun wrote:Now in my eyes, everything that Gendo does is just for himself. The Gendo style of thinking is the very reason that humans needed to be artificially evolved in the first place.

Yes, he's working for himself, but he's not exactly working against anyone else. As I said, earthly attachments such as relationships might hold him back from leaving Earth, so he decided it was better to have nothing, just waiting until he set his plans in motion.

This world would be a lot better off if there were no "Gendos" around.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:45 am

I don't think Gendo is evil. Badass, sure. Evil, no. He was just blinded by his love...

As OMF brought up, if Gendo is evil, then wouldn't Ritsuko or Fuyutski be considered evil as well, even if they were not necessarily brought out that way? I dunno. Ritsuko...we'll call her nuts and move on. :P

Fuyutski couldn't be evil, cause he's Fuyutski. Speaking seriously, though, I doubt Fuyutski could be considered evil. Despite his involvement in the HIP and everything, he was initally very moral and had threatened to make everything public.

Fuyutski is moral. That's all there is to it. Gendo? Who knows. Ritsuko? Possible, but I don't know, given her actions in the series. That or the crazy genes were passed down from Naoko. :lol:
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 am

Ya got enought red there man?

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:23 pm

Ham Ham wrote:

But is Evangelion really the type of show that would portray someone as pure evil? Let's leave that to DBZ.

I dont think Gendo or anyone else on the show could be considered pure evil, since in real life it could be argued no one is truly pure evil and the eva characters are pretty realistic. Its just that next to the seele dudes he's the closest your going to get to it in eva.

Anywho the villains in DBZ are more pure stupid then pure evil.

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:35 pm

DirtyHamster wrote:Ya got enought red there man?

...I type in red all the time. It's one of my things. Long (I lie, short) story.
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:58 pm

[size=18]He never helped anyone in his life, he only took.

Well, he did help several members of the cast step out of their panties, although I'm not sure that contradicts your basic point.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Ah, I just remebered something that we all forgot about. He did rescue Rei that one time. But that was probably at least partially due to his invested interest in her, although I do think he may have had some motives beyond that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:19 am

Defectron wrote:Hmmm.....well he did help Yui get a lot taller then she used to be....

Actually, Gendo's the one who needed Yui's help, not the other way around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:44 am

Reichu wrote:Actually, Gendo's the one who needed Yui's help, not the other way around.

Did Yui actually ever help Gendo or did he manipulate her into thinking she was helping him?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”