Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm

I figured I'd just create this topic now since I see a lot of people in the spoiler section for 2.0 are already holding discussions and "What If's" about this possibly 2 years from now film.

The teaser (thanks to RockManBalls):

Next Time Preview (retrieved from various Japanese blogs):

Eva Unit-01 is frozen with Rei and Shinji still inside.
An abandoned Fortress City. NERV personnel confined.
Eva Unit-06 is dropped into Dogma. Quickening* Eva Unit-08 and it's pilot.
And finally a meeting of the children with pre-determined fates.
Truly, where will our story of the human desire to live lead?
Next time in:
Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q
~Quickening~
Get ready for more fan service next time, okay?!

*Quickening, as in the title of the next film, has something to do with fetuses. They use the Japanese equivalent here.

Japanese text:

レイとシンジを取り込んだまま凍結されるエヴァ初号機。
廃棄される要塞都市。幽閉されるネルフ関係者。
ドグマへと投下されるエヴァ6号機。胎動するエヴァ8号機とそのパイロット。
ついに集う、運命を仕組まれた子供達。
果たして、生きることを望む人々の物語は、どこへ続くのか。
次回
ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q
~Quickening~
さぁ~て、この次も、サービス、サービスゥ!

- So if we take the first teaser for 2.0 into consideration then there's a vague chronology to the events given. (Remember the first teaser for 2.0 actually gave away the order of events by going Eva 05, Eva 02, Eva 04, Eva 02, and Eva 06. This just so happens to be the order of the Eva's appearances in the timeline of the final film).
Looks like Tokyo-3 is evacuated and everyone's confined to NERV. Kaworu is brought down to be the top Eva (I mean there's no one left).

And what's this of an Eva Unit 08? New pilot? Or a replacement for one of the remaining pilots?

P.S. Apparently from the teaser its shown Asuka is NOT dead.

P.S.S. For shits & giggles, I throw out the title- Evangelion 3.0: You Will (Not) Die

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Ramiel² » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Make it a thread about 3.0 PLUS it`s possible names ,and we have a deal!

My shot:

Rebuild of evangelion 3.0 : You shall (not) love /
You shall (not) be loved

^ My opinion : with 3.0 the great mindfuckery will start ,with kaworu explaining what love is and so on,explaining at-fields and what has made the world of the lilin the way it is.

+ FANSERVICE

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:43 pm

If there's an Eva-08, that means there's an Eva-07, right? Right?

We've got five pilots now, two of whom don't have Evas, so two more Evas would fill out the roster... But I can't help but feel like Kensuke or Hikari might get an Eva just to make everyone go WTF again, especially since Shinji and Rei are frozen inside Eva-01... Still, I make no official predictions at this time.

A meeting of the children with pre-determined fates... Does this mean they'll all be in the same room for once? And further more, what's Kaworu's pilot designation, because it just occured to me... Is it possible that they have a seperate numbering system for genders this time, with Mari being Third Girl and a Second Boy pilot being unintroduced until now?

I dunno, just throwing out BS until I see a poster.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Evangelion 3.0 (Possible Spoilers for 2.0)

Postby drinian » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:*Quickening, as in the title of the next film, has something to do with fetuses. They use the Japanese equivalent here.

It's an archaic term referring to period of time when the mother can begin to feel the baby growing inside her -- kicks, movement, etc.

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Well if Shinji and Rei are stuck in Eva-01, Yui in other words, then it would kinda be like returning to the womb wouldn't it?
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:23 pm

A meeting of the children with pre-determined fates...

When I first heard this, I thought or Rei and Shinji since Gendo mentioned how they needed them for his plans.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Speaking of the poster if they just repeat that Sadamoto staircase thing it'll be pretty funny. Only difference would be Shinji & Rei would be a combined glowing entity- Renji or Shinei- and Asuka would have an eyepatch.

As for Eva Unit 08 beats me? I thought it was a typo when I first read it myself but at least 3 different sources have confirmed it's Unit 08 and not 07. Maybe 07 gets scrapped for parts to fix Unit 02 like they did with the original Unit 05 and 06 in NGE.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:27 pm

The "meeting of the children" thing seems really odd to me. While it never happened before that all children met, you wouldn't say it'd be a hugely special event - in fact, it's more odd that they haven't already (okay, Kaworu and possible newcomers aside). So I guess it would have to be some special "meeting" - a mini TI just between the pilots?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Gendo'sPapa, as Reichu said to me, so I must say to you. The original Eva-05 and Eva-06 were never scrapped for parts for Eva-00 and Eva-02. Parts INTENDED for Eva-05 and Eva-06 were rerouted and used for Eva-00 and Eva-02.

So, let's start a betting pool. The pilot of Eva-08 could be the following:

Mari
Toji
Toji's sister
Kensuke
Hikari
An original character

Any betters?

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 pm

$10 it's Toji.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:23 pm

JimmyWolk wrote:The "meeting of the children" thing seems really odd to me. While it never happened before that all children met, you wouldn't say it'd be a hugely special event - in fact, it's more odd that they haven't already (okay, Kaworu and possible newcomers aside). So I guess it would have to be some special "meeting" - a mini TI just between the pilots?

Perhaps a better translation would be a "gathering" of, or an "assembling." Semantics really, and it's hard to know what it means with no context.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:58 pm

My thoughts: For the record I only read maybe the first two posts in this thread and that's it before I went into "time to give my thoughts" mode.

Episode titles:

3.0/Kyu (Rush, Quickening): You shall (not) be loved.

4.0/?: I do (not) want to die. (I think the Japanese title really will be ?. That'd be awesome. ;) )

3.0 stuff (I REALLY hope it's a separate film from 4.0!):

The quickening stuff is about Eva-01. While trapped in Yui-sama, Rei and Shiji discover she's from Yui (and Lilith) and confirm their friendship/relationship whatever. Maybe a mini-Instrumentality ala ep20 happens between them, those train scenes we'd see, but 3.0's take of ep20 instead. Eventually Yui-sama spits out Shinji 2.0 (what with his new body that is) and what I'm guessing would be Rei 3/Lilith.

Kaworu's "father" line either has to do with Adam inside/grafted onto Gendo, or maybe Gendo himself made Kaworu similar to Rei? And that Key Kaji gave Gendo either helps unlock Adam/is a part of Adam, or maybe helps jump-start Third Impact somehow.

Rei3 and Kaworu are on opposing sides with things, Lilith/Rei3 tries to help protect Shinji and prevent 3rd Impact/Instrumentality, while Kaworu tries to tempt Shinji to bring it about for...whatever reason. (Something good deep down ala Divinity Trinity? Evil intentions, for Seele?)

Mari's past or whatever her secrets are, are revealed. She should hook up with Kensuke or just make airplane/fighting game noises in the Entry Plug, damn it! "Ratatatatatatatata bang bang bang!" ;) I call that Mari is gong to go insane from piloting or realize it's not cracked up to be. (Or if she IS a FAR, that'll be revealed too.)

And even if they're in the background, Hikari/Toji being a couple and showing stuffs with Kensuke too would be nice. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd fade into the background like Bitter End arc, though. (Unless we get a scene of them evacuating Toyko-3.)

Also, I can't shake the feeling that Asuka is going to either become yandere* from her apparent tsundere...ness with how the Eva-03 battle turned out, or the post-battle will be the new take on her being bitter similar to Bitter End. *As in, she'd go insane and try to kill not only herself but Shinji too ("Shinji, please die with me!" "WHAT?! O_o But... "), OR she'd simply have her EoE bitterness/anger at the "idiot" for apparently ignoring her and such.

I'm hoping that if Anno IS going for an Asuka/Shinji Good End, that would be touched upon more, and resolved in 4.0. For reals. Not just insane Shinji and bitter Asuka or whatever.

With the new Eva units, either the pilots we already have around (Kaworu, for instance) will pilot, or maybe it'd end up being an MP Eva deal. Who knows. @_@ Though I'd want something different then the harpies damnit. My guess for an epic final battle is maybe an Angel besides Kaworu (before or after) as well as a (Kaworu?) battle with the Eva versus Eva-06. (Kinda based on a pet theory with something.)

Finally, the idea of Rebuild being a loop--NOT a sequel--would be touched upon more.

4.0: I think it's gonna be mostly if not fully devoted to Instrumentality/Third Impact. I really hope Shinji is NOT insane at the end like EoE or I just might not buy these films. I want to see a happy Shinji, not just because of happier Anno, but because it'd be nice to see Shinji able to actually get over his depression and be HAPPY, damn it! >_<
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:21 pm

My turn to fanwank a little:

As long as 3.0 doesn't do one thing I'll be happy (oh who am I kidding it's new Anno made Evangelion, I'll be happy regardless).

Film 2.0 already sets up Mari as a "Take Any and All Risks" kind've a person (A "Who Do You Think I Am" per se?). What I don't want is Eva Unit 08 to turn out to be the like the Key Tool in some crazy aspect of Instrumentality that requires the pilot to pretty much channel infinite power. And to have Mari take on this assignment and then find out it's too much and die. I don't know where this came from in my head but it feels really cliche.

Anywho, I expect Mari to continue kicking ass in future installments....unless that is if they really gave her a lot of Asuka's traits and she's the one who self doubts and hates herself for failing against Zeurel.

Kinji
Embryo

Postby Kinji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:My turn to fanwank a little:

As long as 3.0 doesn't do one thing I'll be happy (oh who am I kidding it's new Anno made Evangelion, I'll be happy regardless).

Film 2.0 already sets up Mari as a "Take Any and All Risks" kind've a person (A "Who Do You Think I Am" per se?). What I don't want is Eva Unit 08 to turn out to be the like the Key Tool in some crazy aspect of Instrumentality that requires the pilot to pretty much channel infinite power. And to have Mari take on this assignment and then find out it's too much and die. I don't know where this came from in my head but it feels really cliche.

Anywho, I expect Mari to continue kicking ass in future installments....unless that is if they really gave her a lot of Asuka's traits and she's the one who self doubts and hates herself for failing against Zeurel.

I expect Mari to die somewhere early in the third film.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 pm

I think they set up Asuka to be a different person in 2.0 simply to have her change into her old self when she somehow comes back in 3.0 .

They make a point of showing her happy for once, shes glad to be with Misato and Shinji. Obvious feelings for Shinji and doesn't seem to have the same emotional baggage as before...... and all right before she "dies".

It all seems like a big set up to just have her go on a downward spiral to what we know of when she is brought back.

To do this and have her just back up with just an eye injury (there might be more we can't see yet) seems anti climactic, think there has to be ramifications for the incident.

Soth
Embryo

Postby Soth » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And even if they're in the background, Hikari/Toji being a couple and showing stuffs with Kensuke too would be nice.

During the attack of Zeruel, Touji embraces Hikari to protect her of the explotions, so they are already very close in 2.0.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Squee! ^_^

I'm glad they didn't ignore those two! T_T (The PSP Evangelion 2 ~another cases~ game is starting to "make more sense" with Rebuild, or vice-versa.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm

I am so, so confused right now.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:08 pm

I wonder if Kaworu will die in 3.0 or Final. Maybe there will be more insight into his character since they have more time. Hopefully he will get squashed like a ripe tomato again.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Quick death for Kaworu plz :yippee:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”