Rebuild shipping goes here.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:16 am

It's quite the burden to bestow upon them, though. I don't begrudge anyone who goes that route -- children enrich your life so much, and things aren't so bad for them if you do your job and provide for them -- but even so, the whole situation makes me cringe.

Awareness is key, though. If you know you're bringing them into a crapsack world and that inspires you to be a better parent, so much the better.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And yet... we bequeath them greater knowledge (and specifically, awareness) of how bad things are than we had, and who's to say if they might be able to move towards improving them?

Well if people from the first half of the 20th century could see what have we done with the world they fighted for, they would rise from their grave to start one or two new revolutions.

Awareness is key, though. If you know you're bringing them into a crapsack world and that inspires you to be a better parent, so much the better

Teaching them to at least not repeat the same mistakes it's a good first step.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 am

COME OOON! How many topics do I have to split today?!

:shinji_boohoo:

Do me a favor and just get back on topic.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:50 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:COME OOON! How many topics do I have to split today?!

:shinji_boohoo:

Do me a favor and just get back on topic.

OK I'll be the first one

IMO, talking about shipping timeskipping is crucial. If the movie starts right from where Q left, I bet my pants that there are gonna be interaction between the characters and hints about the ending, the only moment where we'l see something close to shipping.

I'm talking about conversations around a campfire or even a callback to the futon moment from 2.0
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 am

Well, even if Anno picks right up where he left off (which is not his style), there won't be a hint of WAFFiness about it - that's for sure. This is just not the moment.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, even if Anno picks right up where he left off (which is not his style), there won't be a hint of WAFFiness about it - that's for sure. This is just not the moment.

I agree, but If we see hints about the future, IMO we'll see them at the beginning. I'm sure we'll witness Shinji and Asuka chit chat in the movie What about? There will be hints? Who knows :bigeyes: But it's something that will take place, the same way I think he'll talk with Misato.

Maybe when the movie starts they've have already been rescued by the Wunder and they chat in the rooms??

Of course, I give for granted the opening action scene

My expectations are : opening scene-character development-wille/nerv final confrontatio-shinji vs ending, with Yui/kaworu/Rei floating around-ending-post ending with hints about future.

Taking off shipper glasses, I agree with something someone has said : Rei is more interesting dealing about what she is than being a shipping object, trying to understand herself and human intimacy through Shinji. I love how she is confused about her being an artificial and replaceable being, Yui's clone, half sister condition(these two only viewer knows the truth) and her angelic nature. IMO, she has always played a different league. Of course, I love when se is used in romantic comedies in AUs like AD o ISRP (she is left aside in other spin offs like Petit Eva o Anima)

Ticklemaster621
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ticklemaster621 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Nobody is gonna tell you is horrible to fuck your step sister (well, maybe your parents ), but everybody is gonna cry loud if you do the same with your real sister, even you didn't know the truth or you haven't grow up together. And Luke and Leia example it's a good one.

Well, I think people would be horrorized either way, if you fucked your step sister or if you fucked your sister.

However, leaving people´s reactions aside, Luke and Leia would have kissed if they hadn´t realized they were brother and sister. It isn´t that I would have liked that to happen, but my point is that they were romantically attracted. I could certainly accept that Rei and Shinji do not get together at the end. What I cannot understand, however, is how people say their first feelings weren´t romantic just based on the fact that she is a clone of his mother. She is a different person :lol:

In the first six chapters?? There is no much difference in her attitude towards Rei than in 1.0. And raise their hands those who didn't think at the beginning that Rei was "the ship".

But in those six chapters, aside from the groping scene, there weren´t any hints that could be undeniably deemed as romantic. And 1.0 still made him blush at Rei´s smile. I think I already mentioned the time he blushed at 3.0, which was while complimentig her outfit .

I thought Rei could have been the ship, but I wasn´t sure, cause Rei didn´t show any clearly romantic inclination in those (and Shinji only once, the aforementioned groping scene)

Uhmmmm You forgot the other moments she blushed?? Because the "mother" sequence is not the only one Do you remember when he brings her homework to her home?? When Touji tells her he noticed her feelings toward Shinji?

I had forgotten the time she blushed with "Thank you". With Touji, however, she reacted when he said that she preoccupied about Shinji a lot. That sounds more like a motherly feeling. Therefore, you have more reactions on a mother - like feeling than on a romantic feeling. In rebuild, her reactions come more as a result from a romantic feeling.

The ending is ambiguous in purpouse of the open possibilities of their new future. That could mean they'll never see each other again, or they will go to the same high school whith Kensuke. Both options have potential, that is ambiguosity. Shinji's deja vu and blush are not ambiguous : ithey take place, and there is symbolism around that scene. I would like to hear your answer If you switched Asuka with Rei and kept that scene the exact same with the hand motif, and exact dialogue and expressions. Still a crappy and coward ending IMO :everything they suffered meant nothing. Reset and here we go : the ones enjoying a happy life are different characters.

Well that depends. If we change Rei for Asuka just on that scene, and keep the rest of their roles in the manga the same (I mean Rei and Shinji being the developed relationship, not Asuka/Shinji), then I would say it is certainly ambiguous in whether Shinji encountered with Rei again and started a romantic relationship with her. However, if we change their roles in the manga entirely (and with that I mean Asuka being the really developed character and Rei being left aside), I would say that it wasn´t that ambiguous.

Wroing choice of words, sorry and I know I've been a little pushy, never had any kind of problema in other forum using them (and I've ben writting in them about your age). But that doesn't give you to right to insult your seniors, brat (I can call you that if you call me oji san, right?). Except for those isolated moments, It's what i've done : refuting your arguments. So you better choice your words because they sound arrogant.

Well, if you felt insulted with my words or felt they were arrogant, then we are even, that´s how I felt with yours. I hope we can discuss without feeling uncomfortable now, oji - san (brat doesn´t insult me, and oji - san shouldn´t insult you, cause it is certainly an exaggeration). And BTW, my words sounding arrogant may relate with the fact that english is not my first language. It isn´t my intention to sound like that, sorry.

I don´t think there is much more to say however, I gave my arguments, you tried to deny them. I didn´t convince you, and you didn´t convince me. This could be an eternal discussion, cause I´m pretty convinced by my own thoughts. Besides, excepting two other posts, all my posts have been in this shipping section. That wasn´t my goal when I created this account.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:04 am

View Original PostTicklemaster621 wrote:

Well that depends. If we change Rei for Asuka just on that scene, and keep the rest of their roles in the manga the same (I mean Rei and Shinji being the developed relationship, not Asuka/Shinji), then I would say it is certainly ambiguous in whether Shinji encountered with Rei again and started a romantic relationship with her. However, if we change their roles in the manga entirely (and with that I mean Asuka being the really developed character and Rei being left aside), I would say that it wasn´t that ambiguous.

Never felt like a romantic interest in Shinji's side, more sister than anything. Asuka liked him, IMO that is not open to debate, there are enough hints. But I know how underdeveloped she was, There is no evolution in hr portrait, she has no relationship with others, she is a real bitch, still obssesed with Kaji. Well, better than underdeveloped, drastically changed to a character that has nothing to do with the original, whose relationship with the protagonist was a key factor. Even Shinji changes from a broken child to an asshole. But I don't take to much into account Sadamot's fanfic, and after that coward and cliche ending, which goes against NGE's philosophy about dealing with reality, the less I think about it, the better. We're here to talk about Rebuild, a diferent timeline than the series, so if there is shipping hints in the end, the path has not been the same EoE chose. Who knows the goal.:wink:

Well, if you felt insulted with my words or felt they were arrogant, then we are even, that´s how I felt with yours. I hope we can discuss without feeling uncomfortable now, oji - san (brat doesn´t insult me, and oji - san shouldn´t insult you, cause it is certainly an exaggeration). And BTW, my words sounding arrogant may relate with the fact that english is not my first language. It isn´t my intention to sound like that, sorry.

:wink:. Don't worry. Indeed, I'm curious about the thoughts of younger people whose first contact with Eva have been the movies. And, of course, I know you'll never understand how was the Eva fanbase in late 90's, when EVA was new and shiny. I played GOS and watched EoE the same day in 1998/99 (can't remember, I'm an ojisan) and I still can remember how the first one felt like a gift,a sweet appetizer to fans, to show aspects from their everyday life the series couldn't show before the big drama (both were relased the same year, and, rather than the outsourced crap 1st and 2nd impression were , GOS being a side story felt "true", thanks to involvement of the original team)......and well, better dont' talk how EoE felt. You´ll never feel Eva like I did, the same way I'll never feel Star Wars like people did when they were originally released. But I'm pretty interested in your point of view, where Eva is part of pop culture (at least in Japan) and sometimes an overexploited phenomenon.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”