[Film] There is A Movie God...

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

[Film] There is A Movie God...

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 am

And like me, he feels the whole idea of making live action adaptations of popular works of anime is fucking RE-TAR-DED.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19846/1/THE-LONELY-DEATH-OF-AKIRA/Page1.html

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 am

I was hoping the LA movie would lead to *good* replica's of Kaneda's bike. As in rideable at decent speeds replica's...
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

I find the comparison to Watchmen quite apt in the article

like Watchmen was for roughly 20 years, it's only stuck in development hell

we may not see it for years, but IMO it is not dead, it's in a financially-induced coma like most everything else extravagant these days

however, give likes of James Cameron some time, he'd be the most likely to get involved
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 am

Couldn't have been much worse than the anime film

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 pm

A live action Akira would work if they have a good director for the movie. A 3-D CGI movie would be pretty sweet though.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm

[URL=http://img142.imageshack.us/i/akiratetsuocrushcat.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:A live action Akira would work if they have a good director for the movie. A 3-D CGI movie would be pretty sweet though.

I don't see the point in remaking Akira as a new animated film. CG movies can be great, but I personally think they've gotten way overrated. Akira is already a top-notch animated film, so I don't really see the need to remake it either in live action or animation.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that I take the "I don't need an Akira remake" stance considering where I stand on LAEM. I guess it boils down to that I think a live action Evangelion could kick ass, and that a live action Akira is unnecessary. I've never been much of a fan of live action remakes of animated movies, personally.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:45 pm

I wonder why no studio in Japan has stepped up to make a 24 episode Akira anime TV series.
IMHO that's where the franchise should go next.
Last edited by Baz on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Nathan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm

I hope it stays dead.
I'm Not Living, I'm Just Killing Time

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm kinda sad about it. Especially because it was going to be 2 movies based on the manga. For all of you who say the Akira movie couldn't have been done better, read the manga and you'll understand how much better the movie could of been. Had decent backing behind it to, though frankly just that the producers were saying "its going to be based on the manga" and not taking the easy way out and simply doing a remake of the movie should be a good sign.

Nathan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

honsou wrote:I'm kinda sad about it. Especially because it was going to be 2 movies based on the manga. For all of you who say the Akira movie couldn't have been done better, read the manga and you'll understand how much better the movie could of been. Had decent backing behind it to, though frankly just that the producers were saying "its going to be based on the manga" and not taking the easy way out and simply doing a remake of the movie should be a good sign.

Nobody is denying the genius of the manga

but Neo-Manhattan and Leonardo DiCaprio as Kaneda...
I'm Not Living, I'm Just Killing Time

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Nathan wrote:but Neo-Manhattan and Leonardo DiCaprio as Kaneda...

I thought Leo was just producing it, but not starring. On the flip side, he's a good actor, and probably a lot better than anyone else they could have cast. As far as it being set in the U.S., I don't remember them saying that, although would that really affect the story at all?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Leo was only producing and it was going to be set in NYC. But frankly read the manga and you'll see that it really is NYC anyway. So it was probably the right move to change the setting.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm glad it's dead (at the moment at least) because personally I find this whole trend of adapting foreign products into standardized Hollywood product to be one contribution to the ongoing blandness of current Hollywood cinema.
There's been one genuinely great film that was an adaptation of an Asian film and that was THE DEPARTED. And the reason for that success was Martin Scorsese knew what he was doing.

Sure the AKIRA AMERICA was going to be based on the manga (in parts) but I never saw the point of it outside of cheap namebranding (a.la. American Live Action Eva). With the millions of possible stories you could tell would you really need to retell Akira.

And what would be the point of a live action adaptation? That film really pushed the envelope of it's medium which was HAND-DRAWN animation. Sure you could remake it now with CG but we've seen so many huge CG films by now it wouldn't be revolutionary. CG doesn't have that human touch that 2D or practical effects do.

And besides, from this script review aside from Tetsuo becoming TRAVIS and the presence of "inevitable black gang member" it really wasn't going to be all that original a story.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-a-look-at-the-live-action-akira-remake-akira-part-1-5678

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 pm

From the script, other then some name changes its almost identical to the Manga. The only difference is Kaori plays the same role she did in the movie, as the girlfriend instead of slave girl that helps Tetsuo out with his craziness (as by that sentence should show, the manga is VERY different). I still think it would be cool to see the manga up on screen as all we got in the movie was the first half and a bastardized ending.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 pm

If only remakes of foriegn films were executed as well as Fistful Of Dollars.

About Live-Action "remakes" of anime or manga, leave it to Japan or at least Independent film makers. Some of them may lack the technology to make things look 100% realistic, but at least they'd make them faithful and interesting.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 pm

backseatjesus wrote:If only remakes of foreign films were executed as well as Fistful Of Dollars.
where's Sergio Leone when you need him?

ha ha, he made that based on Yojimbo
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 am

oh Thank baby jesus and the jewish god! Now, I hope they kill the Live Action Eva Movie.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am

i'm glad its dead, and hopefully it stays dead. eva live should be dead. in fact all american adaptions of asian works should be dead, because quite frankly we suck at adaptations.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:28 am

xtr00kvltcorex wrote:i'm glad its dead, and hopefully it stays dead. eva live should be dead. in fact all american adaptions of asian works should be dead, because quite frankly we suck at adaptations.

Amen to that my friend!
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Return to “Film and Video”