Funimation to redub the entire Sailor Moon series??

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Funimation to redub the entire Sailor Moon series??

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 pm

In my travels to the Internets today I saw this post: http://www.genvid.com/News/Funimation-Poll-on-Possible-Sailor-Moon-Redub.html

Which led me to this poll: http://blog.funimation.com/2009/05/we-need-your-input/ (Hey, there's a link to Rebuild 1.0 on the side panel of that page. =3 )

Personally I think it would be absolutely amazing for Sailor Moon to be redubbed, provided this would include the previously excluded final season from American shores: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

For those who don't know, Sailormoon was one of those shows that suffered from the little kiddy dub butchering treatment (Think DBZ and "Home For Infinite Losers") back in the day by Dic Entertainment and later Cloverway. And while Sailormoon WAS a little kid's show in Japan, too, it's treatment in the states was pretty bad. Hell, this site was created to show its mistreatment.

Discuss.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Sailor Moon was one of the first animes I became obsessed with as a kid and even though I "grew out of it" I still retain the fond memories of being part of Save Our Sailors and recording it when it came on Sundays. The dub was certainly atrocious, and I'm still upset I didn't pounce on those DVD releases when they came out (I can't believe they went OOP so fast). I think the only advantage of re-dubbing it would be if they rereleased it AGAIN with the sub version on there as well.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:49 pm

If it's FUNimation then... yes.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I wouldn't watch the dub, of course, but if they could get their hands on a re-mastered version I would buy it. (ADV's release of the first two seasons looked and sounded like crap.)

Even though I don't watch dubs I'll put in my two cents anyway. If this happens, the first thing they need to do is use the real Japanese names, not the stupid names from the old dub. (I also really hated the title cards that Pioneer used for seasons 3 and 4; whenever a character's name showed up in a episode title they printed out both the sub and dub names. Second, get an entirely new cast; the old dub cast really sucked. I can't watch it for more than a few seconds without running screaming from the room.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 pm

In my university AMS, there are three Sailor Moon fans.

The rest of us rip on them intensely for this as it comes up so often. Even if they edited the lesbian lovers to be cousin lesbian lovers, to appeal to redneck audiences.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Re: Funimation to redub the entire Sailor Moon series??

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:it's treatment in the states was pretty bad

Sailor Star Dust wrote:it's treatment

Sailor Star Dust wrote:it's

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:still retain the fond memories of being part of Save Our Sailors

Ha, I still remember reading drama regarding that SOS site when I got into the show back in the day. I got into the series about '98 I think it was, though didn't really find much of it online until 2000...something.

thewayneiac wrote:but if they could get their hands on a re-mastered version I would buy it. (ADV's release of the first two seasons looked and sounded like crap.)

YES. What's sad is ADV COULD have gotten the remastered Japanese version of the DVDs (eg this: http://sailormoon.channel.or.jp/video/01.html Odd how Sailorstars isn't on that page anymore.) but nooo they didn't. :shakehead:

the first thing they need to do is use the real Japanese names, not the stupid names from the old dub.

Yes, yes a thousand times yes. If they make sure to use all the original background music and scenes, that'd be great, too. I wonder if it's too much to ask that the renewed manga would be re-released here?

Second, get an entirely new cast; the old dub cast really sucked.

Terri Hawkes as "Serena" is something I'm somewhat fond of (in a way) but a new cast would be great.

Also, I'm hoping a redub would include a Japanese subbed version too... Unless the complete series subbed AND dubbed is too much to ask for. -_-

Smith: Grammar Nazis need not apply, thank you. :P Fixed.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm

It would warm my heart to see a certain pair of "cousins" recognized for what they really are. ^_^ This show landed just when I was figuring out "I like boys... AND GIRLS???!!" so... I was annoyed that I didn't get to see the unedited version.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:41 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:It would warm my heart to see a certain pair of "cousins" recognized for what they really are.

Indeed. Especially considering Haruka and Michiru helped pave the way for shoujo-ai/yuri couples on anime in Japan.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 pm

And the Remake Spider strikes again!

Not that I care but...

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:39 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:It would warm my heart to see a certain pair of "cousins" recognized for what they really are. ^_^ This show landed just when I was figuring out "I like boys... AND GIRLS???!!" so... I was annoyed that I didn't get to see the unedited version.
I don't think there's any need to force them into the closet this time. I'm sure they must have driven the censors crazy, censoring what had back then been one of the most diverse LGTB casts wasn't easy (they made Fisheye-Kaworu and one of the Shiteno "female") Hee, this all brings back some old memories
I guess there's no way those networks would have broadcast it back then, not when they still had all those sodomy laws for the IRL versions.

Um, and wasn't the last season the one with the starlights? I guess that's why they never dubed it here, no way to censor that :biii:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Indeed. Especially considering Haruka and Michiru helped pave the way for shoujo-ai/yuri couples on anime in Japan.
They were the first couple in a kid's show right? Cause the genre has been around since the literature from the Taisho era.
Last edited by Synapsid on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 pm

this move isn't surprising to me

Sailor Moon was so badly handled when it was first imported to North America by the PC hands of Disney, "for the children" and all that jazz

also, I wouldn't be surprised if similar re-dubs happen if a series and/or film(s) are still commercially viable
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 pm

they shouldnt re-dub it, just release it
I have the whole series bootlegged anyway so it doesnt matter much to me.
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I never like the series since I watch it as a kid on CN back in the 90's and it was not my type of tea. Funimation is good when it comes to Dubs and good news for fans since DBZ got a good redub and this should be the same also.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:42 pm

"for the children" and all that jazz

Yup.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 am

200 episodes to dub...
That's a lot of work, and a lot of work to pay for.
Is there really a phase between Dub and Profit?

I'd buy, just won't pay over £$10 :]

@SSD: I've seen all 200...and I still don't know what
"Sailor Star Dust"'s symbol and attack is :[ Plz tell
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Chaz wrote:@SSD: I've seen all 200...and I still don't know what
"Sailor Star Dust"'s symbol and attack is :[ Plz tell

But Sailor Star Dust is myself as a Sailor Senshi. So I could tell you, but then I might have to kill you. ;) But going back into the depths of my memory from when I created my character and her attack (It's me in senshi form but I never used it in a fic or any such thing. My best friend from high school simply drew us as Sailor Senshi is all.), it'd be this chain of light somewhat similar to the Venus Love-Me Chain, however it shoots out stars or some such thing instead.

Synapsid wrote:Um, and wasn't the last season the one with the starlights? I guess that's why they never dubed it here, no way to censor that

Supposedly the German dub explained them as being replaced by their female twin sisters when they transformed, but I think their could be something of a way around it in an English dub if it "HAD" to be censored for kids: Just make them females the whole time, in and out of battle.

Or even better: just re-release the whole damn thing on DVD uncensored, with a decent dub and sub track. ;)

For those who don't know, the Sailor Starlights are 3 female Sailor Soldiers who disguise themselves as male popstars when not transformed in order to find their Princess, in the anime at least. In the original manga, they disguise themselves as males via drag but are female the whole time, transformed or not. Either way it'd be a problem with dubbing for the kiddies because the leader of the Sailor Starlights, Sailor Star Fighter/Seiya finds verself in an unrequited love with Usagi/Sailor Moon.

So, DBZ was redubbed by Funimation and was supposedly better then what ran on Cartoon Network and such, yes? Did Funi include the subbed version of the series along the uncut redub, or how did that work out? And did it seemed to be using remastered footage/sound (if DBZ was re-released that way at some point in Japan that is)??

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm

I think the sub is available on the uncut DVDs. There were also some added dialouge in the re-dub. Especially in the Majin Vegeta vs. Goku scene.

Evangerion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evangerion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

I would be so happy if they redubbed the entire series. :O
I'd love it even more if they didn't butcher it nearly as bad as Dic did.

Seriously, Dic had a horrible knack for cutting things out that didn't need to be. Even if they did uncut DVDs. :x
ググれカス

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
"for the children" and all that jazz
Yup.
UGH! :explode:

I have so many problems with Haim Saban, men like him are the reason the media sucks so bad these days
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Anime and Manga”