If it'd be possible and what happened in EVA happen to us..

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

"Do you choose to take part in the HCP?"

"Yes." ( Reality S****!! Long live the Third Impact!!!! )
25%
"No, I prefer to stay in reality." ( It's none of my business if you cultish idiots want to suicide.... )
75%
"What is HCP? Do you mean handicap?" ( Honestly, what does it mean? )
No votes

Total votes: 20

JinKazama
Adam

If it'd be possible and what happened in EVA happen to us..

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Tue May 24, 2005 4:13 am

Would you accept the Human Complementation Project or anything alike which will evolve human by artificial means? And if you have the choice will you choose to refuse it?

Welcome all your thoughts on this one as well. 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 24, 2005 4:57 am

I'd prefer to stay in reality,it's not that it sucks that much!^_^

p.s EM has disabled the polls right?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue May 24, 2005 7:51 am

I don't like reality that much but I wouldnt want to merge with everyone else either. So I think I'll skip third impact.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 24, 2005 7:55 am

One size fits all solutions to lifes problems never work. As Shinji discovered, complementation wasn't all it was cracked up to be. An enternity of listening to the self centered, overblown, angst ridden woes of my fellow beings as I tried desperately to retain what little privacy I had remaining is not my idea of a good afterlife.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Tue May 24, 2005 10:52 am

OMF summed it up well.

It seems that HCP only shows the dark side. I prefer reality. Besides, I wouldn't want my ex-GFs to know my thoughts. :lol:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 24, 2005 11:58 am

Actually, if HIP went all the way, individual thoughts would no longer exist.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 25, 2005 6:29 am

The original question

JinKazama wrote:Would you accept the Human Complementation Project or anything alike which will evolve human by artificial means?

(my emphasis) is very broad. HCP doesn't last long enough to for us to see what the eventual stable state would be like (or a human-comprehensible equivalent thereof) - whether there would be a gathering of all the idividual streams of consciousness into some Stapledonian greater mind of the race or just remain as Sartre's Hell embodied as an eternal 2am at that sort of party where everyone is drunk enough to just start laying their issues on everyone else.

There are a broad range of scenarios for engineered post-humanity that I'd jump at like a shot (even the non-transcendent types like Egan's polis stories (Diaspora, Schild's Ladder) or, better the download into the αρχε in Permutation City, where one doesn't have to worry about maintaining the hardware upon which one is executing). Even the thought of dissolving into something finer has its appeal at times of world-weariness, when tired like Misato of maintaining appearances.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 am

Thanks all of you who posted. :lol:

Yeah Satre's hell....We are all living in it, so are the characters from Evangelion. I guess I would like to get out of it if given the oppotunity(like what was happening in EVA 8) ) but its just my personal opinion, maybe you'd think differently, but I guess it's just because we live in this world so we'd like to call it reality, we don't have the courage to deny our senses or say we even fear to lose them as if without them we become nothing.
--== P.F.P. ==--
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Thu May 26, 2005 12:46 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:One size fits all solutions to lifes problems never work. As Shinji discovered, complementation wasn't all it was cracked up to be. An enternity of listening to the self centered, overblown, angst ridden woes of my fellow beings as I tried desperately to retain what little privacy I had remaining is not my idea of a good afterlife.

hmmm, good point, but I think we can only rely so much on reality to build our own concepts of privacy, thankx for submitting reply anyway. 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 26, 2005 1:24 am

Artificially evolve humans, huh? I'd like some things in the genome tweaked. First, give females more default muscle mass. Second, have breasts only swell during lactation. Third, eliminate the nuisance of menstruation -- have the body reabsorb the endometrium instead.

Actually, if I had to pick, I'd go with the third. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DieMuhKuh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DieMuhKuh » Thu May 26, 2005 3:19 am

I would definitely stay in reality.
More cheese means more holes.
More holes mean less cheese.
Ergo:
More cheese is less cheese.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 26, 2005 7:47 am

@Reichu

You mean all the benefits of being a well-ripped body builder without the work (actually in that case point#3 is cessation of cycles because the body fat %age is too low).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu May 26, 2005 1:06 pm

Artificially evolve humans, huh? I'd like some things in the genome tweaked. First, give females more default muscle mass. Second, have breasts only swell during lactation. Third, eliminate the nuisance of menstruation -- have the body reabsorb the endometrium instead.

Actually, if I had to pick, I'd go with the third. Wink

Hmmm if were going to do that I also wanna change my genetics too, I wanna be able to regrow any limbs that get cut off and I also want to be able to generate electric current like an electric eel. And I also want a more powerful immune system so that I can eat raw meat without getting salmonella or some other weird desease.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 26, 2005 1:50 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:You mean all the benefits of being a well-ripped body builder without the work (actually in that case point#3 is cessation of cycles because the body fat %age is too low).

I was thinking more like the benefit of being an ordinary male. My brother doesn't do ANYthing -- at ALL -- and he is, of course, stronger than me. The whole predicament was put best in "Nescaflowne"...

Hitmi: I think you're a great sprinter, and I wish I could run as fast as you.
DaMann: Well, Hitmi, it's because you're a girl.
Hitmi: What?
DaMann: The female body has a lower percentage of musculature. It's true. And you lack mental focus, what with your unstable hormones and all. Furthermore, it's a known fact that your heaving bosoms are aerodynamically inefficient. Though, in your particular case... I suppose you have no excuse.

Also, I was thinking not so much the cessation of menstruation, but the body dealing with it in a less obnoxious manner. One wonders how on Earth hominids got as far as they did with females dribbling a blood-rich substance on a periodic -- no pun intended -- basis. That's just BEGGING for the predators to come after you.

Defectron wrote:Hmmm if were going to do that I also wanna change my genetics too, I wanna be able to regrow any limbs that get cut off

Why, do you plan on losing limbs anytime soon? :D

and I also want to be able to generate electric current like an electric eel.

:lol: I just got my larf for the day.

And I also want a more powerful immune system so that I can eat raw meat without getting salmonella or some other weird desease.

Ask the vultures for their secret. They eat far fouler stuff, after all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 26, 2005 3:18 pm

Reichu wrote:Also, I was thinking not so much the cessation of menstruation, but the body dealing with it in a less obnoxious manner. One wonders how on Earth hominids got as far as they did with females dribbling a blood-rich substance on a periodic -- no pun intended -- basis. That's just BEGGING for the predators to come after you.

Two obvious mechanisms exist in that scenario to suppress the flow - low fat %age, so infrequent ovulation; and pregnancy. Switching off the cycles - say ovulation on demand - would have the side effect of smoothing out the hormonal turbulence too.

My own favoured minor upgrade would be new teeth every 10-15 years - but that's small potatoes compared with HIP.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu May 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
My own favoured minor upgrade would be new teeth every 10-15 years - but that's small potatoes compared with HIP.

LOL! You can have new teeth every year if you want. They'll just be artificial. :wink:

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu May 26, 2005 6:52 pm

Digitalex wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:

LOL! You can have new teeth every year if you want. They'll just be artificial. :wink:

Replacement parts is a favourite dream of mine. Not entirely artificial, not entirely biological, but better than either. Real flesh, genetically mine, grown over titanium bone and carbon-fibre sinew. Muscles made of artificial fibre that make me ten times as strong as any body builder. Eyes and ears that have limits far beyond those of mere humanity. All grown partially from my own living tissue, so that I become THE NEW FLESH!!

I think that one of the greats of hard SF implanted this notion in my brain, but I'm not entirely sure which one. Too many books, over too many years.
Natsukashii, ne?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu May 26, 2005 9:12 pm

New teeth would be cool. Replacements are not an option. Even though they can survive the atomic explotion, the process of putting them is very expensive, time and money demanding...

I'd also like nervous system complete regeneration, and fast recovery even in the case of myelin inflamation. Recombinants take a long, very bothering and sometimes hazardous treatment.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 26, 2005 9:51 pm

Soluzar wrote:All grown partially from my own living tissue, so that I become THE NEW FLESH!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Technically, you don't need to look to sci-fi solutions to make yourself better than the rest of humanity. Heck, just look to nature... Genetic hybridization! Olfactory capacities of a turkey vulture! Visual capacities of a hawk! Aural capacities of a canine! Respiratory capacities of a whale! Penile proportions of a horse! Strength of ... hmm, just about ANYthing that isn't human. (From what I recall, we're one of the lamer animals out there in terms of physical strength.) Granted, you'd probably look pretty funny after the required gene therapy, but, hey, all in the name of progress, right?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 pm

Screw bodies, no matter how well built they are; their stability over long periods of time is pathetic. Non-corporeal existence is where it's at.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”