Does gurren Lagann have symbolism?

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Does gurren Lagann have symbolism?

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 am

I don't know if this is just in recent Gainax works or it is just me but does Gurren Lagann have symbolism beneath the pretty explosions and even prettier girls?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 pm

the drill....its the point of the series. symbolizing evolution and the continuation of moving forward

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 pm

^- That's about the only one I noticed for symbolism...

That and Kamina's glasses... You guys can figure out what that symbolises.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Can't resist... Pretentious Communication Student who wrote an entire 12 page paper on mecha anime and got a good grade for it... Taking Over...

If we take 'symbol' as a broader thing as opposed to just visual motifs (as per semiotic theory).... then, yes, Gurren Lagann has symbolism beyond just "lol drills mean evolution (and the penis)"

A large chunk of GL's essence is machismo, for lack of a better term. You could argue it's a self-parody, but it's not the kind of mocking self-parody.

In an interview with who I think was the scriptwriter, he stated that he wanted to "make anime macho again", like the anime he grew up with (most likely the oldschool super robot era of Mazinger, Getter Robo, Brave Raideen, etc.).

GL's macho attitude acts counter to the current paradigm in anime, which has traditionally lent itself more towards androgyny and sexual ambiguity, Gurren Lagann thumps its chest and loudly proclaims: "WE ARE MEN!" . Kamina, for example, is tattooed and barechested, wields an absurdly long katana (I used to throw a fit about people going: "dur hur hur swords are phallic" but now I just go: "Yeah, and that's why they're awesome"), and never backs down from a battle. Simon, while a wimp at the begining, is inspired by Kamina's masculine example, and over the course of the first half of the series, becomes a leader of an entire resistance movement, founding a new society after defeating the oppressive status quo, and going on to destroy yet another enemy to makind, who seeks to repress the masculine spirit of exploration and victory (Spiral Power)

I could probably go on for pages here, I'll stop.

tl;dr - Gurren Lagann is an attempt to run counter to anime that's filled with prettyboys. WE ARE MENNNNNNNNNN.... damn, where's that AMV when you need it...
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Gurren Lagann didn't really do anything different from the countless other hot blooded super mecha action shows to come out in recent years. It was a good show, but it really was nothing all that unique.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:47 pm

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=158077

Gurren lagann be a man, great video, but it was removed from youtube

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Drill=symbolism for souls.

Only thing I remember off-hand.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 am

in general not just the drill but visual motif of the spiral and the infinity it represents. in going along with the nature of the series, it starts out on very "local" level then ends with them taking to the stars.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Joppu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joppu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:48 pm

PROTIP:
The drill symbolizes a
SPOILER: Show
penis

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Joppu wrote:PROTIP:
The drill symbolizes a
SPOILER: Show
penis

i gathered that much lol
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:31 pm

To echo a common sentiment expressed in this thread:

Seriously, though, PuppetChaos summarized it very nicely.
It's a show about machismo taken to absurd levels.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 pm

I didn't read any symbolism in the show. The most I could get was "My drill is bigger than yours" or "Oh hey, our final bad guy is God. Take this!"...though that last one is most likely my misreading things.

The show doesn't really say anything that profound or have any symbolism in my eyes.

It's just a big loud fun action blockbuster. It's like looking for an intelligent message in the new Star Trek film. It doesn't really question anything about what it means to be human or have any deep observations (and no ST2009-Star Trek 2009- does not have any message outside of creating shallow character archs "I'm a half breed Vulcan...wait, humans are good") but it's a DAMN FUN TIME.

beast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby beast » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 am

While not as deep in symbolism as NGE Gurren certainly has many symbols. The chief among these is teh DNA and spiral connection. As well as messionic religious symbology with the priest in the in that one town.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:33 pm

View Original Postbeast wrote:While not as deep in symbolism as NGE Gurren certainly has many symbols. The chief among these is teh DNA and spiral connection. As well as messionic religious symbology with the priest in the in that one town.

NECRO BUUUUUMP!

It could be argues that Gurren Lagann is deeper than Evangelion, as it's a world of action and results. There's not an absence of soul searching in it, it's just that the characters find what they, in their souls are searching for and act on it, instead of Eva, where they don't find what they're looking for, and are rendered incapable of action.

It's like Eva's good twin.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:39 am

lack of penises and freud in your post has left me most disappointed

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:21 am

View Original PostXard wrote:lack of penises and freud in your post has left me most disappointed

I left that out for the same reason i leave The Beatles out of my list of favorite bands. it's just assumed.

Evangelion, FLCL and Gurren Lagann are all out male puberty and coming of age and penises to a huge extent. Evangelion is the mopey boy who can't get laid, FLCL is the hyperactive nymphomaniac, and Gurren Lagann is the emotionally well-adjusted if a bit overconfident boy. I did a paper about Gainax Robot Shows and Nietzsche and psycho-sexual imagery for my 2nd year Philosophy final and got a 95 on it. I wish I could show it off, but my ex spilled tea all over my laptop at the time and I lost a massive number of files and it made me sad because a big part of my philosophy major was inspired by my desire to talk about Gainax robot shows and tits and dick, because I love robots and tits, and if i didn't have a dick I suspect my enthusiasm for tits would be substantially diminished because I would have a dick, and therefore no capacity for a good old fashioned tit fuck like the gigantic symbolic tit-fuck that is the entirety of FLCL.

I wish Rei would tit-fuck my soul. She is my waifu. She is the perfect woman, because she won't ever give you no lip unless you try to se her as a tool to bring about the end of the world, which I would never do, even though I grew a beard based off Gendo's. If you're nailing Rei why would you want to stop living? it's sheer madness! Madness I tell you!
fnord

---
Ever.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:32 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:I wish Rei would tit-fuck my soul.
You're more likely to get a hand-job.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

2.0  SPOILER: Show
View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:the Finale of Rebuild 2.0, which culminates in a fantastic gigantic spiritual tit-fuck between Shinji and Rei.

FYI that's basically the entire movie, not just the ending

I wish Rei would tit-fuck my soul. She is my waifu.

Oh I see what you're doing

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:
2.0  SPOILER: Show

FYI that's basically the entire movie, not just the ending

Oh I see what you're doing

Not sure that qualified as a spoiler, but jolly good either way.
fnord

---
Ever.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:34 am

OK time for TOPIC
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”