What made Evangelion so popular?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pmkava
Adam

What made Evangelion so popular?

•      
  •      

Postby pmkava » Sat May 30, 2009 1:36 pm

is it the Art and music, the characters, the plot, the way the series presents its self?

In all seriousness what is it that made NGE into the phenomenon that it is?
Last edited by pmkava on Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurm. Meeting with Kaworu Nagisa left bad taste in mouth. Possible Homosexual? must remember to investigate further.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: What maed Evangelion so popular?

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:39 pm

pmkava wrote:the Art and music, the characters, the plot, the way the series presents itself
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 30, 2009 1:46 pm

The way it hits otaku where they live.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Sat May 30, 2009 3:32 pm

It was unique when it first came out, mecha anime was being dominated by Gundam, Gundam and more Gundam; and therefore a lot of mecha series looked and felt like Gundam... but that was starting to get boring, and then out of nowhere comes this crazy new Gainax anime with these creepy-awesome mecha and whoa hey dude this is really different.

I'm not trying to take away from Eva's merit on its own, but a big part of it was Right Place, Right Time.

But isn't that how it works for anything popular?
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 30, 2009 3:48 pm

I think it's just everything about how Eva was done makes it popular, but the fact it managed to reach out and either "hit otaku where they live" like Tines pointed out or simply reach people who HAVE depression just like Anno...

It's just really amazing how such a seemingly personal work could affect so many people.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 30, 2009 4:47 pm

I can't speak for the rest of the Eva fan community, but the reasons I liked Evangelion was that it had a great coming of age story with three dimensional characters, and that giant monster-on-monster battles really pushed my buttons in the right way. When I was a kid I was obsessed with Godzilla movies, and as such I've always had a soft spot for two giant beasties bludgeoning each other amidst a crumbling city. Throw in a 50 foot long desert eagle and a sniper rifle the length of a football field, and I am sooo there. :toothy:

Of course, all of that wouldn't really mean anything without good characters, as is the case with any good story. The fact that Evangelion eventually got me to care more about what the next turn in the characters' personal journeys would be more than I cared about seeing the next monster mash up is what truly set it apart from being typical Saturday morning escapism (although obviously, I never saw the show on a Saturday morning unless it was on tape).

Basically, Evangelion is the perfect mix of drama and science fiction, which is something I've always put a high value on. Liking Evangelion probably is a large part of why I would later get into Battlestar Galactica and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. When a show knows how to use sci-fi elements as a vehicle for telling a human drama, it has some pretty great potential for awesome.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sat May 30, 2009 9:32 pm

it was the tobacco companies.

:money:
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sun May 31, 2009 2:11 am

It was a mecha anime that wasn't really a mecha anime. Obviously the giant robots are there and they fight, but it takes a backseat to the character's stories themselves.

So yes, you've got a crapload of action, but it's only there to support this intense drama played out by kids, which is obviously the main audience for Evangelion.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 31, 2009 7:34 am

A mecha anime that was like no other. Very controversial and psychological elements that also touched real world problems and made people think about certain things differently. With a few funny moments as well and of course some dramatics and action. And of course :misato_service:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 31, 2009 9:57 am

It was the first of it's kind and really was completely different to anything in the mecha genre. It was the defining mecha show of the 90's and probably the most popular anime to come out of the 90's. Mecha shows originally were all super mecha shows, usually for younger audiences until Gundam came and changed everything. Gundam was a new milestone for mecha shows and hence afterwards we saw so many shows take on similar serious war drama like approaches as that series through the 80's and on. In the 90's Eva came along and twisted mecha conventions into something completely different. Heavy on dialogue, complex characters, "artsy", complex plot that most will miss through one viewing, somewhat unique takes on mecha as well.... it was just so different from the countless other shows that came before it. So many mecha shows in the 80's and early 90's all seem to share similarities to gundam with some shows being nearly carbon copies.

I would think the whole controversy with the shows ending also helped boost the shows visibility in the publics eye.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sun May 31, 2009 12:40 pm

I am not sure if there is any mecha after Eva that is just as good, it just seems like that hasn't been any mecha that is even remotely as engrossing as Eva as they all focus on the mechs while leaving the characters flat. I may not expect a masterpiece or "Artsy" from other mecha anime but still I wish that they focus on characters and story so that they don't get so convoluted and filled with plot holes. I guess it is the constant fanwanking and discussion you get from from a show like Eva, even Gurren Lagann (yes, Gurren Lagann) has some symbolism in it and all of Gainax's shows seem to have some theme that is somehow ecthed into the story that makes you go :headdesk:
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Sun May 31, 2009 2:15 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:It was unique when it first came out, mecha anime was being dominated by Gundam, Gundam and more Gundam; and therefore a lot of mecha series looked and felt like Gundam... but that was starting to get boring, and then out of nowhere comes this crazy new Gainax anime with these creepy-awesome mecha and whoa hey dude this is really different.

This has a lot to do with it, at this point in anime Real Robot dominated the scene. With Eva starting a lot like Mazinger Z, I think a lot of people in Japan wanted a "monster of the week" mecha anime again. Add in a group of hot girls giving fan service and you have a hit. What gave it the staying power was its the character development, mystery and a very good ending that was unique in its own time.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 31, 2009 3:48 pm

There was regular monster of the week and old school styled mecha shows around the time as well though. Eva though was completely different in style than anything before it. It wasn't for kids, it wasn't your generic Tomino inspired war drama, and it wasn't straight forward retro action.... it was truly revolutionary for its time and changed the way mecha shows were approached.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 31, 2009 5:01 pm

The Rei

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:And of course :misato_service:

IT WAS THE BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!111oneoneoneone

And teh Rei. (BOOBIES!!!!)
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:27 pm

The metaphysics and procreation symbology give it an enduring curiosity factor.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 pm

I think what initially attracted people to NGE was the skill seen in its utilization of classic forms, genres, and tropes. Everyone was familiar with its base premise, but it had rarely been done with such outstanding technical achievements; I include everything into the mix such as the art, animation, sound, and, from a dramaturgical perspective it was handled equally masterful. Simply put, it was something classic done extremely well on all fronts. Along the way, people got attached to it; the characters, the mystery, etc. and all of this can be seen as a result of how well it executed such tropes. But when its second half hit it was something completely unexpected. Like an alternate universe of some completely new and alien property that nobody understood invading the series. All of the philosophy, psychology, symbolism, the density of the narrative, the inexplicable happenings, the "so pregnant with meaning" things that go by so quick the audience didn't have time to process. All of this was such a jolt and contrast to the series' so normal first-half that it created this kind of wonderment reaction where people simply had to come back to it.

I see in NGE the kind of quality that all great art possesses, and that's the ability to affect people and make them give a damn about it to an almost extreme degree. Wes Anderson said that NGE was the kind of film-making that could create a religion like Scientology and, while the comparison isn't too flattering, I know what he meant about the passion and obsession it breeds. But I see further elements of great art; that of passion and an extremely high caliber of artistic execution on the part of the creators, a complexity, depth, nuance and equivocality that provokes people to keep discussing it, studying it, staying involved in it. NGE is popular because it's simply the best of its kind. It's the unique work that has enough entertainment factor to appeal to the masses, but enough artistic, intellectual, and aesthetic substance to make "those types" care, and enough mystery, nuance, and depth to keep people caring about it decades after it's over. I also don't think we can underestimate how much its popularity is due to just how many people have been profoundly impacted by it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Well said. And as an animator, I am obligated to agree that much of the show's success likely comes from how well drawn it was. :thumbsup:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 am

i still like my answer :jiggy:
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:It's just really amazing how such a seemingly personal work could affect so many people.

Not at all. It's the personal works that diverge from the tired and the generic. It's the personal works that give us elements we can relate to. It's the personal works that provide depth that doesn't (and probably can't) exist anywhere else.
Gamer_2k4

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”