Evangelion 1.0 - PG-13

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Evangelion 1.0 - PG-13

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Don't know if anyone's posted this but its nice to see some advancement on the Region 01 release of the series.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/latest-mpaa-ratings-bulletin-no-2071

EVANGELION 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE
Rated PG-13 For action violence and some nudity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri May 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm amazed they actually bothered to rate it. I'm also amazed that the MPAA didn't include "thematic elements" or "sexual themes involving teenagers". They're as inconsistent as ever.

If they want to release 1.01 or 1.11 with a rating, they'll have to submit it to the MPAA again in both instances. If they do so (which I doubt they will), I wonder if the words used to explain the PG-13 will be the same.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm

They would have gotten it rated because Funi must want to try to do at least some actual theatrical releases here in the states. For a straight to dvd release they usually wouldn't bother.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm

PG-13, sounds 'bout right to me. There is no sex, so it is a sound rating.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 pm

While the Manga Entertainment release of Death & EoE didn't have an R rating on it per say, I recall the DVD boxes saying something about "Warning mature audiences only".

Evangelion Platinum otoh is rated 15+ or some such thing, which is fitting.

I think a PG-13 rating for 1.0 through 3.0 (well depending on what 2.0 and 3.0 have violence-wise that is) is fitting, but if 4.0 is anything like EoE it'd need an R rating without a doubt.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:While the Manga Entertainment release of Death & EoE didn't have an R rating on it per say, I recall the DVD boxes saying something about "Warning mature audiences only".

I think a PG-13 rating for 1.0 through 3.0 (well depending on what 2.0 and 3.0 have violence-wise that is) is fitting, but if 4.0 is anything like EoE it'd need an R rating without a doubt.

I thought I saw on IMDB that EoE was rated NC-17, but I can't seem to find that when I checked just now. It would very definitely deserve it, though.
Gamer_2k4

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri May 29, 2009 11:09 pm

I agree with the rating. Yay to nudity.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 pm

It was only rated that way, (EoE) because of Shinji, and we all know what he did.
MyAnimeList

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Sat May 30, 2009 12:15 am

PG-13 isn't that surprising... part of it is probably that it's animated, which sometimes bumps ratings down a notch if they're on the borderline between two ratings. I think it was Ebert who said that if the first South Park film was live-action, it would've been NC-17 instead of R. Plus, the real only superviolent thing is the 'exploding into blood' business, most of the violence is just giant monster and mecha mayhem... nothing too different than, let's say, Godzilla or King Kong.

And the ratings system seems to have gotten more lax over the years. Today's PG-13 would've probably been an R a decade or so ago. And apparently you can have minor swearing in G rated films now (so much for the "use 'damn' once and be PG and therefore more profitable!" trick)

BattleMonkey wrote:They would have gotten it rated because Funi must want to try to do at least some actual theatrical releases here in the states.

I hope so, I'd definitely want to see it in a proper theater.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 30, 2009 12:33 am

PG-13 sounds right. There was some monster violence and a shot of Rei's boob, but other than that it's pretty mild. I don't think people really care about cartoon boobs as much in PG-13 movies as real ones, because let's face it-- it's only a drawing.

BTW, to my knowledge EoE has no rating in the US, and even if it did I can't imagine it being any worse than R. The violence, sexual imagery, and language might push it past what PG-13 would allow, but just barely. There's no way it's NC-17 material though, especially since it's animated.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 am

EoE in America is unrated.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat May 30, 2009 12:57 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:While the Manga Entertainment release of Death & EoE didn't have an R rating on it per say, I recall the DVD boxes saying something about "Warning mature audiences only".

I thought I saw on IMDB that EoE was rated NC-17, but I can't seem to find that when I checked just now. It would very definitely deserve it, though.
IMDb is full of fake crap. You can check the MPAA's site to view all the ratings it's ever administered. I doubt EoE would actually get an NC-17 if the MPAA were to apply a rating (which they didn't), but it would certainly be a hard R.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat May 30, 2009 1:01 am

In looking at my EoE box, I saw no MPAA rating at all, so it then in turn would be NR. That settles it, I guess.
MyAnimeList

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 30, 2009 1:15 am

I wouldn't even call EoE a hard R. It was a seriously effed up movie, sure, but in terms of content I'd put it on the lighter end of the R spectrum. The "objectional material" is mostly cartoon violence and some sex stuff, which isn't really much worse than a typical R-rated popcorn flick. If simply being bizarre and messed up was the qualifier for an R-rating though, then Rock-A-Doodle would surely have been rated R.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat May 30, 2009 1:37 am

Timstuff wrote:I wouldn't even call EoE a hard R. It was a seriously effed up movie, sure, but in terms of content I'd put it on the lighter end of the R spectrum.
The lighter end of the spectrum = three uses of the F-word. End of Evangelion is borderline NC-17. It may not seem that offensive to you, but the MPAA would think differently.

Somewhat relevant: watch This Film is Not Yet Rated if you haven't already.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 30, 2009 1:46 am

The animation does help keep it from being truly hardcore.

BUT the mere (almost) excessive amount of open vaginas in EOE would be enough to unnerve the ratings board enough to give it a hard R.

Anywho, back on topic- PG-13 for 1.0 strikes me as the proper rating. Hopefully the rating means that Funimation will try to get a very limited theatrical run for the film and play it in the 10 largest U.S. cities before the home video release. Cause let's be honest, we may be fans of Eva but no way would anyone pony up the cash to release it as anything more than an extreme limited engagement.

The chance to see Evangelion 1.0 ON FILM (not Dvd or Blu-Ray) would be a real incentive to get my ass up to NYC! I'd even suffer through a theatrical dub.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 30, 2009 2:14 am

It would be pretty rockin' if it got a few limited engagements, even if it's not likely. If the DVD sales are very good though, then I think the odds are better that Funi may consider a limited theatrical engagement for 2.0.

This fall I'm hoping to start an animation club at my school, so even if these movies never get a theatrical release in the US, I still might be able to screen at least one of 'em in one of my school's screening rooms which would be pretty kick ass. :grin:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 30, 2009 3:42 am

I would guess, in that case, any UK release then to get a 12 -- the series DVDs are half and half PG and 12, and EoE is only a 15. (By way of contrast, Paranoia Agent got 15 except for the disk with the suicide episode which got an 18. WTF?)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat May 30, 2009 8:03 am

PG-13 sounds pretty solid.

If Death & rebirth had a theatrical release in America it would have gotten a PG-13 or a R rating but EoE seems like it would have a R rating.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat May 30, 2009 8:10 am

Mr. Tines wrote:I would guess, in that case, any UK release then to get a 12 -- the series DVDs are half and half PG and 12, and EoE is only a 15. (By way of contrast, Paranoia Agent got 15 except for the disk with the suicide episode which got an 18. WTF?)

Out of interest, is there any news on a possible UK release? Such as who's distributing and stuff? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”