[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Apple? I thought that was a satire of the Dyson vacuum company.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm

I like the viral marketing campaign thus far, and I appreciate that they extended that commercial. I like how it's creepy in a sort of subtle way.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Finally been able to access the "Weyland Official Website", and I must say, Scott is really putting good "moneyz" into this, seeing how they bothered to make all of this. This is viral marketing done right.

And that advert is funny for some reason.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 pm

They aren't. Scott HATES the AVP films. He's less vocal than Cameron though.

You know it never ceases to amaze me how they managed to botch the avp films, this is actually a concept that is hard to screw up, but somehow they found a way to do it not only once but twice! Especially AVPR, there was so many things wrong with that movie.

I mean I think the only thing harder to screw up then an alien vs predator movie would be a big budget american made godzilla movie, or a third spiderman movie made by the director of the first two films or a prequal to the thing.... wait a minute....

But yeah you know how you can tell a spinoff movie is going to suck? If the director says he is going to try to be true to the spirit of the original, The guys who made the AVP films both said they were going to do that. so did M Night when he made last airbender, I'm fairly certain the people who did the thing prequal also said that too. But you know looking at the track record of these films, that might not be the answer, I think it's better to take things in new directions like james cameron did when he made aliens.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:16 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I mean I think the only thing harder to screw up then an alien vs predator movie would be a big budget american made godzilla movie...

On that incidental note, they are making another remake of Godzilla. It looks like it will be closer to the original one than the 1998 film.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Woot! New trailer up! Yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byZkbNB3Jw

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Did you guys see what looked like a fossilized Xenomorph around the halfway mark? And oh my God. They weren't headed for LV-426. They were headed for EARTH! What a great bit of info! I'm pumped!
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:They weren't headed for LV-426. They were headed for EARTH!

I believe an earlier trailer implied this, but it's cool nonetheless.

I totally spotted the facehugger-stingray thing in one of the earlier trailers. Apparently, it looks like it can disentigrate human flesh. Lovely!

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 pm

This will be THE BEST MOVIE OF 2012, if not this decade. I just know this. And that slug thing caught me completely by surprise.

And dear god: the guy who was getting his helmet melted. That was SICK!

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:37 pm

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:This will be THE BEST MOVIE OF 2012, if not this decade. I just know this. And that slug thing caught me completely by surprise.

And dear god: the guy who was getting his helmet melted. That was SICK!

I KNOW, RIGHT? He looked like a skeleton for a second and then it expanded again! GRAH SO AWESOME.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

I heard that they were making two cuts of the film (PG-13 and R), and then I stumbled upon this.

The prospect of a theatrical R-Rated Prometheus seems to interest me.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

View Original PostHenry Spencer wrote:I heard that they were making two cuts of the film (PG-13 and R), and then I stumbled upon this.

The prospect of a theatrical R-Rated Prometheus seems to interest me.

I'll watch the R-Rated version. I want to be unable to sleep for many, many nights lol.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS: R-RATING FOR PROMETHEUS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED! YES!

www.dailyblam.com/news/2012/05/07/new-prometheus-movie-still-featuring-michael-fassbender

Along with new image! :D

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 pm

So, I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews so far.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:18 am

my friend saw it today and she said it was average
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

hellrasinbrasin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hellrasinbrasin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:58 am

I saw it Friday in London and I thought it was a "Good" film not quite a "Great" film but the foundation for it to becoming one is there non the less.

I liked that it gave answers to its own questions while at the same time asking questions for "You, the viewer" to come up with the answer. The only thing I really had an issue with was
SPOILER: Show
what was shoe horned into the end of the film as pie in the face to people complaining Prometheus wasn't Alien V
. I hope that when the Director's Cut is released that that scene is removed.

:woohoo:

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:15 am

I had a review spoil the ending for me even after they said no spoilers! ARGH!

hellrasinbrasin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hellrasinbrasin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am

Well after listening to a new interview with Scott and Lindelof I now understand why the scene at the end was left in... Prometheus was the spring board for the 2 follow ups.
The 1st would be centered around Shaw and where she goes after Prometheus -- the 2nd would lead into Alien

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm

I will probably end up seeing this, but I am a bit disappointed by what I've heard and what seems to amount to misrepresentation of the project by Scott et al.

That is, the claim, "No, this isn't a prequel to Alien after all, it's an original project! No, wait, it's set in the same world, but it's still a separate story! No, wait, it really is a prequel after all -- fooled you!"

While I'm fully open to seeing the film and having a good time -- and I may withdraw some of the following once I do -- I can't say I don't feel apprehension...

Giger's design for the "space jockey" was so marvelously alien and incomprehensible. The "living suit" angle in and of itself isn't bad, but reducing the creature inhabiting it to what appears to be (from the spoilerific trailers) a prosaically standard humanoid? What possessed someone to write the SJs into "progenitors of humanity" in the first place? Them engineering the xenomorphs wasn't enough, for some reason?

Okay, the reason for this has been explained, but I feel so immensely "meh" about it. I've been overexposed to the "alien progenitors" trope as is. While it can work, my first thought, seeing this, is that it represents nothing more and nothing less than lazy writing. I.e.: the perceived solution for making the audience involved in a story about aliens is to make it "about us". The elements of the mythos are hijacked to address our origins, not just those of the xenomorphs. Seriously -- this is nothing more than an appeal to human self-obsession. A skilled storyteller doesn't need to resort to such cheap and tired tactics.

Superficially, it sounds like someone submitted a script which amounted to an edgy retake on Star Trek V's basic premise, and that somehow found its way into the hands of the "Alien prequel" team. No one would commit to the "astronauts look for God, but he didn't want to be found" script on its own merits, but the Alien V team saw a great opportunity. "Overtly, this has nothing to do with Alien -- note to self, this fact could be turned into a marketing asset -- but turn the... um... Space Jockeys into the 'Gods', add some slimy, tentacled fecund horror, and we've got it made! It's win-win all around!" (I'm aware that this isn't how it happened, hence "superficially".)
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hellrasinbrasin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hellrasinbrasin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Remember the Original Draft of the script it was a prequel to Alien. They then went in a different direction with a completly different spin... Now its a branch off film and a prequal.

PS Reichu that Theon pic is seriously freaking me out...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I went from maybe to NOPE after reading this (especially the comments)

[url]http://davidthompson.typepad.com/davidthompson/2012/06/why-prometheus-is-inexcusably-bad.html[/url]
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Film and Video”