Spoiler Tags

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Spoiler Tags

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 24, 2009 10:01 pm

I've added a mod so that we can get general spoiler tags. You'll notice a button up along the bbcode buttons that says "Spoiler"

In general, this works just like the "Quote" tags, you can even append a: ="name" at the end. Here are some examples:

SPOILER: Show
This is a spoiler.

I can embed bbcode too bold,
mini quote

even an image Image

A quoted spoiler looks like this:
Star Wars  SPOILER: Show
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father!
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Another thing, just like "Quote" tags the matching of open/close tags won't always work automatically. Broken quoting is really not that serious, since it just makes you look like an idiot for not being able to match the open and close "Quote" tags and makes it so nobody wants to read what you wrote anyways. If you try to quote someone who has a spoiler, and you break the "Spoiler" tag, then the spoiler becomes visible. This is much more serious, so you people who for some reason that not even God knows that can't match open and close BBCode tags break spoiler tags, if you start leaking spoilers because you're not able to use BBCode correctly, some sort of action will have to be taken.

Just be careful.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun May 24, 2009 10:17 pm

This is relevant to our interests.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 24, 2009 10:31 pm

What's great?  SPOILER: Show
It's great to see this added to the forums. :)
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 am

Soylent green is people.

The planet of the apes was actually Earth.

Bruce Willis was dead all along.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 25, 2009 9:25 am

Guys, now that we have enough examples (and spoilers), I suggest you all post in the thread if you have something serious and topic-related in mind.

Pay particular attention to Ornette's second post about broken spoiler tags.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon May 25, 2009 9:31 am

You should probably tell people to preview their posts to make sure that the spoiler tags that they have used actually work. Then its completely their fault if they screw it up.

I.e. if you can't get the spoiler tag to work properly, don't post your spoiler.

Also, sorry about the test run Ursus, I couldn't help myself.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 am

Fazmotron wrote:You should probably tell people to preview their posts to make sure that the spoiler tags that they have used actually work. Then its completely their fault if they screw it up.

Ah, the "preview" button. Right to the left of submit, and often left unused. Yes, it would certainly do good if people cared to preview and see if their tags were closed.

Also, sorry about the test run Ursus, I couldn't help myself.

A couple of guys testing it out is one thing, but having a whole bunch of people testing it out would turn this into a spam thread. Just to clarify, the reminder wasn't directed to you or anyone else in particular, it was for the whole forum.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon May 25, 2009 10:37 am

Further, don't use spoiler tags unless they include actual spoilers about a show/book/game/whatever as I've noticed some people doing. You aren't being cute or funny.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 am

I was wondering why we didnt have spoiler tags here

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 25, 2009 12:00 pm

A reminder for people to NOT use spoiler tags UNLESS it's an actual spoiler. I've already noticed people abusing the new system.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Uh...
ZapX wrote:Further, don't use spoiler tags unless they include actual spoilers about a show/book/game/whatever as I've noticed some people doing. You aren't being cute or funny.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Zap: I know, it's just people were STILL doing that anyway. Reinforcement can do wonders.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I noticed (since the spoiler tag has been added??) the font color and font size tags don't work. Selecting them and or highlighting does nothing.

Help?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Fixed, there was a bug in the mod that didn't map the correct bbcode indexes correctly in the posting.php section.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 am

Spoiler
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue May 26, 2009 1:29 pm

is there any way for spoilers to be automatically opened? I dont care if i'm spoiled with anything

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 26, 2009 6:00 pm

There isn't.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 am

So, three years later*, and the spoiler tag is essentially the hide images/ walls of text/ anything but spoilers feature of our forum now.
Yes, I've been guilty of this too.

Isn’t it about time the spoiler tag be renamed the hide tag or something?
Or would it be just as fruitful to add an identical feature specifically for hiding images/walls of text?

InB4- “It ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
This is an issue of clarity, not functionality.

*We all know it happened way sooner :]
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:So, three years later*, and the spoiler tag is essentially the hide images/ walls of text/ anything but spoilers feature of our forum now.

It's going to be utilized for spoilers come this time next month (for 3.0). I guess if it'd be worth a rename or not, Ornette will give his 2 cents.

The spoiler tag was originally added around the time of 2.0's debut in Japan anyway.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”