Is anyone geting bored of this show?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu May 12, 2005 12:05 am

There are a number of reasons I like eva heres some of the bigger ones

Character stuff

cool angels/evas

Super complicated story

Super trippy moments

hidden symbolic stuff

weird as hell parts

how it switches between comedy and serious

Those are the main things I find appealing about the show. I like some other stuff about it to but those are all I can think of at the moment.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu May 12, 2005 1:06 am

Defectron wrote:There are a number of reasons I like eva heres some of the bigger ones

Character stuff

cool angels/evas

Super complicated story

Super trippy moments

hidden symbolic stuff

weird as hell parts

how it switches between comedy and serious

Those are the main things I find appealing about the show. I like some other stuff about it to but those are all I can think of at the moment.

Good breakdown. I definitely like the drama tempered with comedy. The hidden symbolism is definitely one the best attributes of this series. I think that and trying to make sense of the "weird as hell parts" is what keeps me coming back from more. After scouring through older posts dissecting certain scenes, it just made me want to go back and watch it again to find more evidence to support or refute the statements.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Thu May 12, 2005 5:06 pm

I honestly cannot find anything that compares to eva. Anime wise: I guess Akira and Princess Mononoke are great... but not the greatest. This series may piss me off with the rediculously impossible odds which happen every other ep. ("just one in ten thousand" - by the way, the english dub of that line does not display the correct amount of 0s to reach that statistic). But all lameness nullified, nothing will ever compare to this series.
Anyone able to prove me wrong??

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu May 12, 2005 9:13 pm

Again the little prince when he says "The essential is invisible to the eyes". Akira and Mononoke Hime are not the best exponentials of anime. Simpler things are much better. Of Miyazaki's I like Totoro, Nausicaä, LaReputa better. Of Otomo I like Memories (It's studio 4C man!) better. Simpler things might be better. Fruits Basket is a lesson of anime if you have an open mind to watch it. Utena (TV) is a masterpiece beyond comprehension (yes, I heard the comment: I couldn't pass through it's shoujoness. "Too bad" for you boy, need to get out more). I have the feeling that Niea_7 is also great (although I only saw 3 eps). Of course, GTO is GRRREETO. Yet, I like Eva better. It was my first anime in which I got really serious about. It leaves a mark on you, right?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu May 12, 2005 10:53 pm

It depend on what your looking for in an anime, for me Bebop is still the best.

Though I think its best to ask for a lock now as this thread has run its course and going to turn into another can of spam.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 am

Well, this thread does ask whether or not we find eva boring... are we not still giving reasons? I thought I was.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2005 5:50 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Of Miyazaki's I like Totoro, Nausicaä, LaReputa better.

Are Spaniards not allowed to say the title of "Castle in the Sky" or something? :P

Fruits Basket is a lesson of anime if you have an open mind to watch it.

I tried it, and it didn't impress me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue May 17, 2005 9:03 pm

When I was getting into anime, before knowing Miyazaki and stuff (although I had already seen it without knowing what it was several years before on HBO), one of the titles that caught my attention was Laputa. Everybody said how good it was and I kept figuring how hentai could be so highly regarded. Hentai? Yes, "Puta" means "bitch" or "whore". And "La" is the female article. So the title would be "The Bitch, Castle in the Sky". When I saw Dr. Strangelove I understood it was a name. After all, these Russians. Did you know what "Putin" might mean in spanish? Poor Vladimir, now I understand why Bush calls him by his first name, must know some spanish after all. But the Japanese have made more to amuse us spanish-speakers. There was a little green car named "Moco", which means "Bugger". They also did the "Pajero", which is an SUV, but means something like swanker (or someone who masturbates a lot). In spanish-speaking countries they changed the name to "Montero".
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 18, 2005 4:02 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Yes, "Puta" means "bitch" or "whore". And "La" is the female article. So the title would be "The Bitch, Castle in the Sky".

I suspect that Swift, when he originally coined the name, knew exactly what he was doing...

There isn't the same prissiness in English when discussing the Pakistani city so beloved of crossword puzzle setters - "The demi-mondaine of the Punjab (6)" or variations thereon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu May 19, 2005 2:18 am

IF you mean the author of Gulliver, I think he took it from somewhere else. As I said, on Dr. Strangelove, the bombers first objective was some place called "Laputa" in Russia, which exists for real.
My List @ AniDB

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 am

Evangelion looks like it'll never grow faint with me, as it ended so well that it was truly memorable compared to most. Like Mr. Tines said, it has become more of a personal interest to me rather than an obsession, but it's an interest that outlasts most others....

LovelyFangirl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LovelyFangirl » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

NO!!! Everytime I'm watching Evangelion, I'm excited! :lol:
I'm just a little german Fangirl, so excuse me if I spell something wrong. My OTP is MisatoxKaji :D

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm somewhat bored with the original series, but after watching 3.0 and how it made us look different character perspectives/motivations (Even thought we don't know much about them after timeskip) carefully, was really interesting.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:30 pm

The story and actually watching it might start to get old, but the themes and meaning remain highly relevant. Hardly a day passes that I don't think of NGE.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:27 pm

If you're bored of the old series, I suggest you should start watching some of the newer movies I've been hearing about. I hear they're really interesting.

And, I can't really ever get of NGE. Granted, I pace the amount of times I watch it, but it still ends up being more watched than anything else in my collection.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:11 pm

I've only seen it twice all the way through, in relatively quick succession. Never wanted to or felt the need to ever watch it again. Though 2 times is still more than I've watched most anime that I own.

Rudy Redlin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rudy Redlin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:04 am

I wish I was. I've watched the whole series twice, not counting all the separate viewings of individual episodes. I've seen EoE even more times and probably have it committed to memory by now. I listen to Komm Susser Tod every morning while I brush my teeth. I listen to the score while doing my daily jog. I've done everything it has asked of me so far and it still won't let me go. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME EVA?!

Methinks I should get around to watching Rebuild soon.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:12 am

I've watched it four times:
I - initial viewing, 2008
II - second viewing after 1st debriefing via Evageeks, 2009
III - viewing with younger brother, 2009
IV - viewing while in Germany, 2011

After that I've watched individual episodes for "close viewings" many times, but never the whole thing from start to finish. When Rebuild 4 comes out my older brother and I intend to marathon everything.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:59 am

As your attorney, I advise you to take psychedelic drugs as you do.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:47 am

eva is not bat country. stop that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”