Kaji's role in Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Kaji's role in Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 pm

With all the excitement surrounding glasses wearing girls in weird plugsuits with even weirder Evas, i felt like our old friend Ryouji was being thoroughly neglected.

What changes do you think Rebuild will bring to the character and role of the ponytailed double (triple?) agent (asides from smoking)?

Misato already knows it's Lilith down there, so Kaji probably won't make a reveal out of that (unless they pull something really lame, like revealing the crucified giant to actually be Adam).

But there are certainly many more msyteries to be probed.

My own personal theory is that Kawuro will be one of Kaji's points of investigation, possibly finding out the truth about him before he gets shot (if he gets shot at all).

Or will he pursue those ever so elusive Adams?

Or will he hold "Nebuchadnezzar's Key"?

Or will he cave in, and give his own "Key to Adulthood" to Asuka?God, i hope not.

What do you think?
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:15 pm

lol, Misato being right

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm not looking forward to Kaji in the film. Along with Kaworu and Yui, I couldn't stand him in the original series. Mainly because of how annoying he is with his constant grinning and flirting. Also, he never really got out of his anime sterotype of, "former flame to one of the characters." Hes much better in the manga since he was more fleshed out. And another thing that bugs me is how Mistao and Asuka were attracted to him. Seriously? A guy with shaggy long hair and a stubble? Yuck.

Hopefully, he'll be a little more fleshed out, but we can be sure that he'll still flirt and grin. :) Yeah...should be great.

From the preview at the end the first film, it seems he'll still meet with Gendo, though for what for may change. There should be a mystery to what Nerv and Gendo are planning, so we should still see him hold some secrets from Mistao. After all, he seems to be talking to Gendo in the preview at the end of the first film.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:27 pm

The Goose wrote:Hopefully, he'll be a little more fleshed out, but we can be sure that he'll still flirt and grin.

Yes, we can PROBABLY be sure of it, but I wouldn't count on it just yet. Rebuild seems to strip out a lot of that sort of thing in order to focus on the story and plot points, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did the same thing with Kaji. I'm going to go ahead and predict that his flirty behavior will be toned way down, and more focus will be put on his interactions with Nerv and Seele.
Gamer_2k4

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm just hoping he'll be able to give Misato and Shinji advice about things, but his past get fleshed out more (would it be his manga backstory or something completely different?) would be nice.

Also, I'm hoping that Misato IS right about Lilith, because anything else would just be lame. -_-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:15 am

Back on track....

Kaji will....be his normal smug self. No change.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:32 am

I was creating this thread more with the purpose of speculating about what plot relevant thing Kaji could be doing in Rebuild, other then delivering Adam to Gendo and orating to Shinji about life, the Universe and everything.

I mentioned that Kawuro could be one of the subjects of his investigations simply because revealing the fact that he is indeed an Angel through clandestine works would be a more exciting angle, rather than Ritsuko just blurting it out to Misato in conversation. Kaji could stay around till some point in 3.0, if 2.0 indeed ends on Zeruel (he was offed in the original timeline after that), so there is a chance that he will indeed meet Kawuro in "real life".

Eh, what this thread really tried to be was another random speculation thread regarding the mysteries of Rebuild. I guess i should have known better then to start something like this while there is a flood of information regarding 2.0.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:40 am

To be honest I think Kaji will be completely stepped on by 2.0, a la Toji in 1.0. Only worse.

He'll by demoted to side character, just standing there being smug and spouting worldly one liners.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:46 am

your utterly faithless in gainax. I remember they said the plot would be eisier to understand in rebuild, so he'll probably reveal some other conspiracy.

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:42 am

in any case, its reassuring he'll be around to lighten the mood :grin:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 02, 2009 6:15 am

TheLobe wrote:your're utterly faithless in gainax Khara.

Fixed....
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat May 02, 2009 11:56 am

I'll admit, I had a bit of a crush on Kaji in the original series. It's all about his attitude... or perhaps because he seems to be an ordinary human. As much as I like broken people, sometimes I just want a taste of regular human. ^_~

I like the idea of him investigating Kaworu, but I figure he'll still be going after the Adam angle. If anything, they'll probably reveal more of his backstory and such. Perhaps by bringing his killer into the open, that will add extra layers of meaning to existing ideas?

If anything, removing the lovey-dovey gun-play between Misato and Kaji where she finally figures out what the budget for giant nails is about... I think that might simplify the relationship between him and Misato, but I don't think that'll muck up much else. There are still plenty of opportunities for double agent. But I don't see him being side-lined. Grrr... I'd rather see more of him than other new characters. ;_;

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sat May 02, 2009 1:10 pm

If he meets Kaworu in Rebuild and finds out that he's an angel, than it may be possible that Kaworu will be Kaji's killer.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Sat May 02, 2009 3:02 pm

The Invincible Shinji wrote:If he meets Kaworu in Rebuild and finds out that he's an angel, than it may be possible that Kaworu will be Kaji's killer.

That's always been my personal fanfic-response to the old 'Who killed Kaji' chestnut. It only got worse after seeing those comparison shots of the two in the old KKKK thread - I just find it a wonderfully appealing notion.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sat May 02, 2009 3:22 pm

marmotgirl wrote:That's always been my personal fanfic-response to the old 'Who killed Kaji' chestnut. It only got worse after seeing those comparison shots of the two in the old KKKK thread - I just find it a wonderfully appealing notion.
I've seen people who've made fics of that possibility. It might be the case if Kaji's the one who finds out he's an angel, of course SEELE could send one of their guards to kill him just like they did before.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 02, 2009 4:57 pm

If Kaworu and Kaji meet in Rebuild, I'm hoping a little chat about Dr. K would be included... Reichu too, I bet. Though I doubt such a discussion would happen, one can dream. >=3

Anyway, if Rebuild will have a new ending, maybe Kaji won't be killed this time around? That'd be different at least.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, if Rebuild will have a new ending, maybe Kaji won't be killed this time around? That'd be different at least.
It would be different, and i hope Kaji doesn't die this time either. He always knew how to lighten the mood.

Shadereset
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shadereset » Fri May 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Kaji will uncover that it was his DNA that was used to clone Kaworu

That should give him a little more significance

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 08, 2009 8:25 pm

^ That would be delightful! (Awesomest first post I've seen so far)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat May 09, 2009 12:18 am

watermelons are confirmed

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”