Depressed from End of Evangelion

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Keisuke-kun wrote:funformoon?

Y'know, I'd say that's an acceptable answer. Image

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 02:54 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Ohhh, it's SPOILER WARNING! (highlight to read) : [ fanfiction ] Image

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 03:15 GMT

Onv [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onv [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

I was very depressed after watching EoE. Having grown to like certain characters from the show it was heartbreaking to see what happened to them, it was sort of like an emotional drain.

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 03:29 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:[Hint]Fill in the blanks: f _ nf _ _ _ _ _n[/Hint]

Wow, do I ever feel slow. It took me until that hint to work out what 'form of therapy was being implied.

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 03:33 GMT

kalisaris [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kalisaris [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Hum, I can't say that I got depresed after viewing EoE... in fact, I didn't like it. I loved D&R, though. I can tell that EoE disappointed me... but can't explain why... But, hey, the original episodes 25 and 26 were really good. Image

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 05:12 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Magami No ER wrote:Ohhh, it's SPOILER WARNING! (highlight to read) : [ fanfiction ] Image

ooooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOHhhhHHHHh. Thanks I get it now. Image

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 21:58 GMT

Ironfoot [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

First time I saw EoE, I was with my friend and he had downloaded it off of the net. Needless to say that I was totally confused after watching it. That was in 2002. It would be 2 more years until I would watch it again. I got the Perfect Collection as a Christmas present in 2003 and I got D&R and EoE in Feb. 2004.

Man was I stunned, but even worse was that I was even more confused. I knew the depression, the sadness that came from the films, even though I didn't know what the **** Third Impact was all about. It took me a few months and more research, but I figured it all out. During those times, I got a little depressed, but I kept asking myself more and more questions: What was the difference between Gendo's and SEELE's plans? Why was Lilith always bleeding? Why did Rei choose Shinji over Gendo?

Strangely enough though, the music is what really moved me. Hearing Asuka's line of "I'd rather die than do it with you!" And then the reality sequence with Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude playing in the background moved me the most the first time I watched it. I could relate the same way, being rejected, then you run away, just to more of the same pain of reality. The more I watch EoE nowadays, the more I understand.

As a side note, "The Scheme of Dreams" is perhaps one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 06:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Well.. just to educate ya, the title of that song is "Yume no SUKIMA" (夢のスキマ ). And SUKIMA is NOT "scheme" or "schema" -- for it to be the latter, there would need to be a vowel lengthener after the KI. A more accurate translation might be "A Void in the Dream".

I agree, the song is sheer desolation; combined with the image of Yui-sama floating out in space with only a red thingamabob for company, it's pretty damned depressing. (The hair makes it that much worse. Image ) Still, "Munashiki nagare" has this gut-wrenching effect on me that just beats everything else.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 15:00 GMT

Grant Oldman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grant Oldman [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Immortal Tech wrote:I realized that, but i think i became emotionally attached to the charachters some how, something i don't usually do. Especially Shinji, Asuka, and Misato. I relate and experience many of their emotions and problems in my own life, maybe you don't.

But thanks for the encouragement

Misato. Not even the fantastic DTS on my Japanese DVD could cheer me up *hugs Misato plushie*

Grant O.

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2004, 17:07 GMT

Grant Oldman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grant Oldman [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

He does not reject it in the TV series. The TV and movie endings are different.

G.O.

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2004, 17:15 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Grant Oldman wrote:He does not reject it in the TV series. The TV and movie endings are different.

G.O.

Back that up with a concise argument and maybe we'll believe you.

Or not. We've already chopped the head off THAT chicken more times than I care to recount.

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2004, 17:24 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Grant Oldman wrote:He does not reject it in the TV series. The TV and movie endings are different.

G.O.
I tend to agree with this guy.
Money quote:
houtaru wrote:I'm very curious to know why others believe he accepted complementation in the tv ending. I've watched 25 and 26 many times now and see no evidence for it. I can't even see it as a possiblity...

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2004, 17:30 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

In so far as there are separate persons at the end of 26 - Shinji plus the cast who are congratulating him in their own way - the Complementation into one single human consciousness must have ended, by definition. That much is pretty much unarguable.

OTOH, what with all the dead (or semi-dead) people standing around, and the small coral-reef/globe location, we sure aren't in Kansas, either. EoTV certainly doesn't give the impression that his next step is back to the mundane world, and once there, strangling the next pilot he sees.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 18:29 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:OTOH, what with all the dead (or semi-dead) people standing around, and the small coral-reef/globe location, we sure aren't in Kansas, either.
Note however, the resemblance of the background images in EoE once Shinji rejects Complementation (i.e. the blue skies and fluffy white clouds) indicating, in both EoTV and EoE, the restoration of the "real world"...
EoTV certainly doesn't give the impression that his next step is back to the mundane world, and once there, strangling the next pilot he sees.
That's because the available evidence seems to indicate that that ending hadn't been written, or even concieved, by Anno at the time he did EoTV. While the TV equivalent of #25 Air existed as a more or less finished script at that time, the TV version of #26' was more like a rough draft or outline, tho if one reads between the lines in EoTV, it is apparent that the basic scenario of Third Impact as depicted in #26' (Shinji losing physical form within the entry plug, followed by everyone in the world going splat, etc...) was already mapped out in Anno's head. What Anno apparently hadn't come up with until it came time to write #26'(EoE), was how to depict the idea of Shinji actually returning to reality. Also, the whole "Asuka hates Shinji's guts" angle we see in #26' is missing entirely in EoTV, thus necessitating the scenes in the Directors cut (#22': "You won't even hold me!"; and 24': "How many times do I have to tell you! Kaji-san isn't here anymore!" "Liar...") that set the stage for that story element in EoE.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 19:11 GMT

Grant Oldman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grant Oldman [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi,

I fit EoE between TV 25 & 26.

Misato tells Shinji (paraphrased) "this is the reality you made" referring to an everyone-dies reality metaphored bt the smashing spotlights. That could refer to all EoE from after 24 ended. EoE certainly seems like armageddon and the Asuka scenes at start and finish bracketing it all, are very teen-dream sex and violence.

So TV 26 is where Shinji is re-educated to see the happiness of Complementation (spotlights re-assembling metaphoring his reversed decision), and Omedetou is the final scene of all Evangelion.

Grant Oldman Image

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 19:21 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Note however, the resemblance of the background images in EoE once Shinji rejects Complementation (i.e. the blue skies and fluffy white clouds) indicating, in both EoTV and EoE, the restoration of the "real world"...

The use of blue skies and white cloud - especially that much re-used shot of fair-weather clouds parting to reveal the sun - is rather more pervasive than just those two instances (Rei's interior monologue in ep#14, for example); and I tended to read it more as a statement of mood: tranquility, at least for the moment.

But maybe I'm over-analysing here Image

Shin-seiki wrote:Quote: Originally Posted by me EoTV certainly doesn't give the impression that his next step is back to the mundane world, and once there, strangling the next pilot he sees.

That's because the available evidence seems to indicate that that ending hadn't been written, or even concieved, by Anno at the time he did EoTV.

There are two steps there - the return and then the actions thereafter. I think it's actually the first which is the step at which many people stumble when trying to reconcile the two endings. (I can understand the descent from incorporeal bliss to the pains of the flesh being enough to leave one in a foul mood).

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 19:39 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Grant Oldman wrote:Hi,

I fit EoE between TV 25 & 26.

Misato tells Shinji (paraphrased) "this is the reality you made" referring to an everyone-dies reality metaphored bt the smashing spotlights. That could refer to all EoE from after 24 ended. EoE certainly seems like armageddon and the Asuka scenes at start and finish bracketing it all, are very teen-dream sex and violence.

So TV 26 is where Shinji is re-educated to see the happiness of Complementation (spotlights re-assembling metaphoring his reversed decision), and Omedetou is the final scene of all Evangelion.

Grant Oldman Image

Ummm....I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Shinji got 2 "do-overs", and that sometime after Asuka said "Kimochi warui" he re-started Instrumentality?!

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 22:18 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Ummm....I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Shinji got 2 "do-overs", and that sometime after Asuka said "Kimochi warui" he re-started Instrumentality?!

Great. Even more complicated. That's what the ending needs, right? Image

The idea that NGE's ending could be even more complicated. That's just a painfull thought.

Grant? Not that I'm saying that what you propose is not possible... I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that I could refute your theory, but before you start to debate it seriously, have you read MDWigs's site? I used to believe in the 'two different endings' idea until I read that site, and then it all started to make more sense...

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2004, 23:32 GMT

rogue_noir [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rogue_noir [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah, it was real depressing when I first saw it but once I watched Saikano, I never looked back...

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2004, 01:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Ummm....I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Shinji got 2 "do-overs", and that sometime after Asuka said "Kimochi warui" he re-started Instrumentality?!

Shinji: "Rei... I forgot, real life really DOES suck. Can you kill everyone again?"
Rei: "Sure, no problem. Anything for my little Shin-chan."

:SPLOOOOSH:

Yui: "Fsck. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to leave..." :makes K-turn and heads back to Earth:

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2004, 02:43 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”