Depressed from End of Evangelion

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Immortal Tech [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Immortal Tech [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I just finished watching the movie a couple days ago and have yet to break out of a severe depression i've incurred from it. I haven't wanted to speak with any friends, or even my family, i've just been going through total reflection.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I'm sure listening to the End of Evangelion them song, Air II over and over isn't helping, but its just such a beautiful song. Its like Anno lets you bond with these charachters over the series, and just takes them away from you in End of Evangelion. I know the world isn't supposed to be portrayed so disney and peachy, but this was the darkest **** i've ever seen in my life.

Originally posted on: 14-Dec-2004, 22:53 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I didn't find it depressing but it certainly affected me more than any other animated/sci-fi film I've seen before.

I think I watched it every day for a month after first seeing it.

Whats so weird about it is that part 1 is completely exoteric and comprehendable and part 2 is esoteric and almost incomprehendable.

Originally posted on: 14-Dec-2004, 23:54 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:19 pm

My reaction was one of a kind of somber euphoria (nonsense has a place with me). While I didn't feel down after watching it, anyone will testify that I exhibited signs of depression.

Ironically, the best thing to do is to blow money on Eva stuff, preferably the soundtracks. For some reason, that both sustained and alleviated my fixation. It works better than Eva gum. (Also, making art helps.)

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 00:24 GMT

.HackBackslash [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby .HackBackslash [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm

The first time I watched Evangelion, I watched all 26 episodes, then D&R, then EoE. By the time it all ended (About 2 in the morning) I was pretty shocked.

I spent the remainder of that night and well into the morning signing up with free websites (Tripod/Geocities/Etc.) and posting rantings. I probably did about 6 or 7 of them.

They were all somewhat philisophical, because that was what was on my mind at the time. One of them was literally a huge webpage of mathematical equations (I'm a weird guy) proving some crack theory on existance. One of these days I need to try and find those sites, I have no idea what I named them, no idea how to find them.

Man, that was a crazy night.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 03:47 GMT

Hideki 13 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hideki 13 [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

After i saw it i was pretty amazed and i wasnt really in a depression but i was sad that it was over and what happened to everybody. Then i took the dvd to my friends house and i watched it with him and another friend and they never saw an episode of Eva before so they didnt know what the hell was going on so then i didnt take it serious. And on the part were they were showing live action scenes me and my friends pointed out the funniest or dumbest things we could find. The only one i can remeber is when there showing the movie theater theres a Japanese guy in the front row holding and Asuka doll and Rei doll and i just started to crack up.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 03:55 GMT

UltimateX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UltimateX [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

You know, I actually felt quite good after EoE ended. I was all prepared to kill myself until Yui, Rei, and Kaworu started their speeches about human life continuing and whatnot.

Yeah, happy times.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 04:31 GMT

onearmedscissor [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby onearmedscissor [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

i felt a lot more depressed after watching episodes 25 and 26 than i did after watching eoe.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 04:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I think I remember Dr. Nick saying that if you got depressed from NGE, you really need to watch Saikano...

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 04:56 GMT

onearmedscissor [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby onearmedscissor [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Reichu wrote:I think I remember Dr. Nick saying that if you got depressed from NGE, you really need to watch Saikano...

hahaha, yeah that is a lot more depressing. at least in some ways.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 05:25 GMT

Zinzoningen [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zinzoningen [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I can only watch EoE rarely because it depresses me so much.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 06:14 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I still fail to see how EoE is depressing at all. But I guess that's just me.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 06:28 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

If you got depressed after you saw EoE, you need to try watching it while standing on your head.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 06:53 GMT

side_burn [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby side_burn [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I find the series ending much more depressing than the movie's version of the end.

You see in the series ending Shinji just conforms on just about every level possible socially, spiritually even physically. In fact there is no difference between you and the other, no differences at all just one giant red puddle of bio goo.

In the film Shinji shows the balls and dose not to conform. Be it that choice leaves him alone with only Askau on beach and a very unsure future but he takes a huge risk. His actions say people can hurt each other but oh well I can deal with that now I'll take the risk of being my self. Don't be fooled by the bleak looking visuals there is a great deal of hope in that ending and Shinji shows a lot of development as a character by the time EoEv is finished.

Once again i want remind you not to be fooled by what you see look at what is there.

But hell after reading the Tin Drum EoE seems kind of light hearted.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 06:55 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Immortal Tech wrote:I just finished watching the movie a couple days ago and have yet to break out of a severe depression i've incurred from it. I haven't wanted to speak with any friends, or even my family, i've just been going through total reflection.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I'm sure listening to the End of Evangelion them song, Air II over and over isn't helping, but its just such a beautiful song. Its like Anno lets you bond with these charachters over the series, and just takes them away from you in End of Evangelion. I know the world isn't supposed to be portrayed so disney and peachy, but this was the darkest **** i've ever seen in my life.

You do realize you are depressed over an anime right? It's an anime, guy, nothing to get depressed over.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 14:46 GMT

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I got depressed at the end of evangelion too.

I was out of nog, and The MP eva's didn't get enough screen time, the entire movie should have just been the MP evas drinking nog while destryoing things.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 14:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Drinking nog? Don't you know -- with the harpies, it's all about the coffee?

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 15:19 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Reichu wrote:I think I remember Dr. Nick saying that if you got depressed from NGE, you really need to watch Saikano...

I didn’t find the show terribly depressing. Though that might be because of my indifference towards the two main characters….

Anyway I thought Eva was depressing over all, even though things worked out more less in the end.

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 15:34 GMT

Immortal Tech [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Immortal Tech [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:You do realize you are depressed over an anime right? It's an anime, guy, nothing to get depressed over.

I realized that, but i think i became emotionally attached to the charachters some how, something i don't usually do. Especially Shinji, Asuka, and Misato. I relate and experience many of their emotions and problems in my own life, maybe you don't.

But thanks for the encouragement

Originally posted on: 15-Dec-2004, 19:08 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I wasn't so much depressed after watching EoE as just plain confused...I just kinda sat there, through the entire credits roll, and then for a minute or two after the screen went black...finally, I just said out loud "Okay, what the heck just happened?" I feel even more pity for one of the guys who watched it with me, he hadn't even seen the series before, so he musta been ten times as befuddled...

I can understand how people can feel a bit depressed after watching it, if nothing else just because of the imagery...one thing that Eva's pretty good at is depicting things that many people like to watch as "guilty pleasures," violence, for instance, and depict it in such a way that it becomes pretty much completely repulsive...theatergoers by and large think that watching people get sliced to bits in "Kill Bill" or the like is great entertainment, but when Eva comes along and depicts gigantic masses being torn to shreds, an invading army shooting a girl trying to help an injured comrade to safety, and a gigantic severed head with a sickly smile staring out from a red ocean, it somehow strikes a different chord...the same goes for its depictions of sexuality (aside from the run-of-the-mill fan service)...you've got Misato and Kaji using it as an escape and a way to reconnect with an estranged parent, pseudo-Oedipal stuff going on between Rei and Shinji, Misato's "inappropriate" relationship with Shinji...there's always an "edge" to it. I tend to think that that is what "depresses" people who watch Eva, and EoE in particular, that somehow they find themselves confronting what they see, rather than absorbing it...I can't put my finger exactly on what makes it different in that regard, but the above's about the best way I can word it...

Originally posted on: 16-Dec-2004, 08:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

There's a form of therapy for people who get depressed over anime. It starts with a "F" and ends with a "N", and there's "NF" in the middle.

Originally posted on: 16-Dec-2004, 08:40 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”