Shinji's swimming ability

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Shinji's swimming ability

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 pm

In the series it mentions that Shinji cant swim ,so in the End of Evangelion ,after Shinji resurfaces in the sea of lcl,how does he get to the shore if he cant swim?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Human beings are bouyant. Shinji might have gotten some upward momentum thanks to reforming. With those two facts, and all the oxygen in LCL, he could have breathed until he got above the water.

pablumatic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pablumatic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Perhaps all the mixing of minds while in the sea of LCL rubbed off on Shinji and he learned how to swim from somebody else's memory.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Plot hole.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm

I was under the impression Shinji was able to float to shore. We see him bobbing up and down when he resurfaces in EoE. (Funny you asked this question, I was curious about it myself at some point.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Lcl is probably a lot denser than water which would also help. Hes never shown swimming, ie kicking and stroking, he just pops up above the lcl, which as mentioned already is breathable. So even if he took hours to swim to shore, he wouldnt drown

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:53 pm

he' not really "Swimming" in that LCL isn't....real. It's part of the bigger question "how did he get out of Eva-01", but its basically that "Yui/Rei/Adam/Lilith willed it in her dying moments, when he made his choice"
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Twsa'teotu wrote:he' not really "Swimming" in that LCL isn't....real. It's part of the bigger question "how did he get out of Eva-01", but its basically that "Yui/Rei/Adam/Lilith willed it in her dying moments, when he made his choice"

From: http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/livesequence.html
Original Scenario wrote:(I found an (interesting?) note from Anno, though.
When the Evas are shown descending on Earth, he insisted that we could see them all around the world, at different times of the day. Morning, noon, evening. But _not_ during night. He clearly stressed that point.)

Eva-01 is then shown attracted by the Moon.
Shinji pulls the induction lever, and the plug cover is released by the security device.
Then flows the flashback with Yui and Fuyutsuki talking about the purpose of Eva. This scene remained the same.
The entry plug is ejected from Eva-01.
Yui's hand go away from Shinji's cheek.
You know this one, it's in the finished episode as well. ^^
Yui: "You'll be okay, now."
Shinji "Yes."
Shinji: "Good-bye, mother."
The entry plug falls in the LCL ocean (but Anno adds "maybe we could get rid of that?").
Fade out (Anno: "is there another way?")

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Even if Shinji couldn't swim, he could sort of float and dog-paddle his way to shore, that coupled with the tide. It seems that he probably got ejected somewhere near the beach.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:25 pm

One theory I have is that Shinji's newfound self-worth through 3I he may have found the confidence/ability to swim.

Just a thought.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:10 pm

Anno just spared us the pathetically awkward limb failings, gasping for breath even though he can breath everything around him, and maybe even a little crying that ensued in Shinji's journey back to land. Probably would have ruined the 'triumphant' moment.

Or maybe a chunk of GNR's head broke off and he rode the wave in.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:13 pm

As it's LCL we are talking about here, the need to flail and panic isnt there as it provides oxygen to the lungs automatically. Im sure it is a lot easier getting to the surface if your not fearing for your life. He just had to float to the surface and kick his legs. Even Shinji is capable of that.

As for how he got out of his eva. I imagine he got out the same way Asuka did. He got tanged eventually and once tanged it doesnt seem to matter if there are walls or a cockpit surrounding you. He simply reformed somewhere else other than his eva. His entry plug wasnt ejected as we would have seen him climb out of it again when it was floating on the surface. We know the entry plugs can float after all.

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Ornette wrote:
Twsa'teotu wrote:he' not really "Swimming" in that LCL isn't....real. It's part of the bigger question "how did he get out of Eva-01", but its basically that "Yui/Rei/Adam/Lilith willed it in her dying moments, when he made his choice"

From: http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/livesequence.html
Original Scenario wrote:(I found an (interesting?) note from Anno, though.
When the Evas are shown descending on Earth, he insisted that we could see them all around the world, at different times of the day. Morning, noon, evening. But _not_ during night. He clearly stressed that point.)

Eva-01 is then shown attracted by the Moon.
Shinji pulls the induction lever, and the plug cover is released by the security device.
Then flows the flashback with Yui and Fuyutsuki talking about the purpose of Eva. This scene remained the same.
The entry plug is ejected from Eva-01.
Yui's hand go away from Shinji's cheek.
You know this one, it's in the finished episode as well. ^^
Yui: "You'll be okay, now."
Shinji "Yes."
Shinji: "Good-bye, mother."
The entry plug falls in the LCL ocean (but Anno adds "maybe we could get rid of that?").
Fade out (Anno: "is there another way?")

wait....so the ORIGINAL version of that scene explicitly shows that Shinji got back to Earth by ejecting out of Eva-01?
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Twsa'teotu wrote:wait....so the ALLEGED ORIGINAL version of that scene explicitly shows that Shinji got back to Earth by ejecting out of Eva-01?

Fixed. And yes. But that doesn't mean it happened.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Is it time to repost the image of Eva-01 floating in space with the entry plug missing?

Yeah, probably.

http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-m26/m26_C459_i_big.jpg
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Baz wrote:
Twsa'teotu wrote:wait....so the ALLEGED ORIGINAL version of that scene explicitly shows that Shinji got back to Earth by ejecting out of Eva-01?

If you follow the original link I provided, at the bottom is a link to where these "Original Scenarios" are, in Japanese. The site's long gone, but you can still fine them via archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20021217023212/www.age.ne.jp/x/t-igrs/eva/serifu/serifu.htm

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:12 pm

^ Damn, didn't realize that the original moonspeak was still available. That's really nice. Is there a direct translation of the script comments somewhere, or just the English paraphrasing that is given on that website?
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Reichu wrote:Is it time to repost the image of Eva-01 floating in space with the entry plug missing? Yeah, probably.
Shinji did eject the entry plug, its gone in that picture, so i guess his entry plug just sank to the bottom of the ocean.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 pm

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Ornette wrote:
Baz wrote:

If you follow the original link I provided, at the bottom is a link to where these "Original Scenarios" are, in Japanese. The site's long gone, but you can still fine them via archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20021217023212/www.age.ne.jp/x/t-igrs/eva/serifu/serifu.htm

because I am a noobie, please explain to me exactly what it is I'm looking at: i've never heard of this before

and the Japanese site doesn't load on the archive its just gibberish

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”