FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

So, hands up, how many people here read or write Eva fanfics?

[raises hand]

If you don't, why not?

If you do, what sorts of general likes/dislikes do you have? Shipping, genre, major turn-offs, etc? I'm just curious.

For my part, I tend to favor stories that don't feature a Shinji/Asuka pairing (unless it's really well done), and I'm perfectly willing to read something that doesn't contain any particular flavor of shipping at all.

I'm fond of divergences and original flavor pieces. Alternate universes all too often don't actually contain the characters I want to read about other than in name only, ditto for fusions, but of course there are exceptions. Continuations I find particularly troublesome and very, very rarely worth the time to read... so many just quickly devolve into unbelievable waff it makes me sick.

Genre wise, I lean towards drama, psychological, and tragedy. Fics that go too far into humor, romance, or action/adventure feel to me like the author didn't really 'get' Eva.

a few recommendations (all complete):
Odeipus Ikari - a S/R divergent romance in the spirit of the greek tragedy from which it takes it's name.

The Way Out is Through - a bleakly realistic view of post-3I life for Shinji and Asuka.

Reaching for the Ring - a very Sallinger-ish piece featuring Shinji in the midst of a nervous breakdown.
Last edited by NemZ on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr.Sexy
Embryo

Re: Fanfiction Survey

Postby Mr.Sexy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 am

Wow...

Apperantly not many do. But i as well enjoy reading them
& also agree that i generally prefer Shinji/Asuka pairings as well. As i always have felt (despite how much i love Rei) that Shinji and Asuka are made for each other. Even without the whole probable incest that Shinji/Rei might have by being with each other. In general though fanfic's if written well enough are sometimes just as good as the material there based on. :thumbsup:
Evangelion Isn't About Life...
Life Is About Evangelion!!!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:04 am

um... check what I said again. I edited it to add an underline.

One of the recommended fics I listed is a S/R story that does not at all shy away from the incestuous overtones that entails, nor the tragic outcome such a revelation brings.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Have both read (though only TToR404 at all recently) and written (have been distracted from the current work in progress since last summer).

My dislikes include --
* missing the point (it's about Instrumentality, not about teen romances)
* badly written smut
* annoying coyness (i.e. limes)
* plottus interruptus (stopping at episode 24-equivalent)
* OOCness from the get-go intended to "fix" problems
* continuations (Kimochi warui!) -- they tend to be both plottus interruptus and missing the point.
* crappy writing or presentation

through which sieve it's a wonder that anything passes.

I have followed the usual writer's truism of writing the stuff I wanted to read in the first place.

I've listed here the things that caught my eye as worth recommending when in the first flush of fandom, to which I would also add the Two Salarymen stories and Misato's Predicament as just great fun humorous fics.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:46 pm

well, I don't read fanfiction often like I used to, I've mainly stuck to TToR404 or other members' fanfics recently

I do have a somewhat detailed outline for a rather smutty novella for Eva, but I haven't had the time to make a full chapter out of it
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby pat457 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:26 am

NemZ wrote:So, hands up, how many people here read or write Eva fanfics?

[raises hand]

[raises hand as well]

I've seen a lot of craziness in some Japanese 'fics I've read. Be it horny war veteran Shinji, grade-school "little brother" Shinji, or alternative universe fem-Shinji/Shinji-with-spine, my eyes have set upon them.

I wish many English fics would also show some craziness or two. I'm a sucker for humour (British spelling intentional).
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:54 am

pat457 wrote:I wish many English fics would also show some craziness or two. I'm a sucker for humour (British spelling intentional).

There's this -- but it really does rely on you having a previous background in British humour from 50-odd years ago :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:48 am

Would Sonic the Hedgehog: Genesis which was made by a forum member count?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 am

Why wouldn't it? Not my style, but whatever.

Tabasco
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Tabasco » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm

*raises hand*

Though its been a hit or miss sort of thing lately.

I second Tine's assertion. Write what you'd like to read. It may not draw the masses, but its a whole lot more satisfying.
---
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one insists on adapting the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:03 am

Tabasco wrote:Write what you'd like to read. It may not draw the masses, but its a whole lot more satisfying.

And if you're not careful, you end up like me.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 am

I've done fanfiction....

I got a thousand monkeys and put them at a thousand keyboards. What I got was a pile of torn papers and faeces. Lots of faeces.

It was still better than most of what's on FFN.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:10 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1746319/1/What_We_Make_of_It

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4820749/1/Observations_on_Redux

for craziness. :leekspin:

Also I am currently working on a NGE/Tenchi Muyo Post 3I fic.

For good fics, check Fanfcition.net .

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I write stuff and also read it.

In regards to reading, lately I've been reading more of the "classic" A/S authors: Jimmy, Rommel, Eric Blair, those guys. :smirk:

In terms of writing, well see for yourself:

http://www.fanfiction.net/~sailorstardust1

http://anime.adultfanfiction.net/authors.php?no=1296805696 Warning-adult content

http://www.lemontastica.org/site/author.php?user=45 Warning-adult content
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Well, in the interest of full disclosure here's my FFN page (no eva stuff yet). I used to have a dozen or so other fics there but they mostly got wiped out by the anti-songfic policy they instituted a couple years back, and the rest I eventually got a little embarrassed about... I'm a much better writer now.

Radish
Embryo

Postby Radish » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Currently reading a lot, though I've two fairly solid ideas I'm working on (and a third rather...gauzy one I don't think I'm going to bother with), one of which is ready for at least a Chapter 1 as soon as I just get around to it. Yes, just.

I like fics with a strong Rei presence, if not focus. Particularly ones where she breaks out of her established role to at least some degree - which is not to say no longer being reserved and socially inept, because that's Rei, but rather no longer being such a background/support character/plot device/puppet-of-Gendo-until-the-last-minute within the saving-the-world story.

I too am unmoved by Asuka×Shinji. Aside from the fact both participants need to grow up a lot before I'll believe they can be in a relationship that's not utterly destructive... there's just no Rei in it :) Add Rei (or swap her with either of the other two) and I might care. Ships with Rei are the only ones I might find interesting, excluding Rei×Kensuke/Touji (because Asuka's right, they're stooges) and blatant crack like Rei×a-member-of-SEELE. But regardless, I prefer at least some life-or-death struggle in the stories I read, so a romance-only fic is something I'd probably pass on (eventually).

Dislikes:
•When a fic tries to kludge actual Christian mythology into the canon continuity. DOES NOT FIT.
•Otherwise good fics that get Rei defying Gendo (secretly or otherwise) with ridiculous ease (like, say, after a single conversation with Shinji *glare*). Gendo was Rei's first other; turning from him should be hard, and it should hurt.
EVA is a sandbox.

TequilaBard
Embryo

For my preferences..

Postby TequilaBard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Personally, I weigh in on ShinjixRei. Simply because I enjoy the overtones of generational redux. But that's just me.

I've got at least the beginnings of a four-shot revolving around the Ikari's and Ayanami, and the ruminitions of a plot. Kinda.

I like fics with a lot of Rei. I... think there's one on FanFic.net (oh the horror!) that revolves around Rei and Shinji's relationship. And it comes off as Eva-like. It works. Can't remember the name off-hand... see if I can find it.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm

I bit the FF bug about two years ago, mostly on the urging of my daughter who wanted to see what I was capable of writing.

I have to admit I'm a sucker for good, WAFF-type stories, whatever the couple combination. Unfortunately I've found out that many (most?) EVA FF that takes a romantic angle goes way OOC in doing so, which takes the fun out of it.

The type of EVA stories I like to read most are those that cover the gaps in the main EVA storyline, whether it be about Misato’s younger years, Asuka in Germany, the early days of the EVA project, etc. I’d much rather read stories that try to cover open ground in the EVAverse, or “Side Stories” that can fit into the main storyline.

I worked on several stories for a while and probably my most complete and dramatic work is The Blue Rose, at [url]www.boyfriendofsteel.com.[/url]. It's an EVA-04 story (and yes, there's a lot of those, too), that introduces the American side of the EVA program. Rei has a big part in that story as well, especially in relation to one of the American pilots. The version on line is the almost-final one, I have one more set of edits, mostly for grammar and style, and it’s complete.

I’d like to write more but I run a business full time (overtime these days) and don’t have much time to put into writing. I’d like to do another story in the Blue Rose setting, but I’m waiting on input from readers to see if that idea worked or not.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby PuppetChaos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 pm

The only Eva two fanfics I read was Neon Exodus Evangelion [shudders], which problem was that it was awful, but it wasn't so awful that it broke through into So Bad It's Good. I finished it out of some twisted sense of duty.

The other is Shinji and Warhammer 40k... I liked it a lot up until Shinji left for that psychic tribe... I was expecting him to return and this one big giant final battle to happen. The stuff with the Earth's Cradle hovering over Tokyo 3 and the zombies and the power-armor guys and giant tanks just screamed: "This is it. Shinji vs Kaworu! Who will win!" ... but it drug on past that, like a TV show that's past its prime, but is way too popular to cancel. It's still entertaining, but the sheer amount of obvious, obvious references/homages in the last few chapters are not helping. (I'm glad the author loves TV Tropes much as I do, but is it really necessary to quote it verbatrim?)

For fanfic in general (what little I read), I try to stay the hell away from 'pairings fics' (I find it astounding that there's these fictional universes filled with magic and crazy stuff, but people'd rather write about people boinking each other.)

Over Christmas break, I, in some form of hyper-focused delirium, wrote out a script for an Eva fancomic... which was based on the idea of: "What if, after all the business with Zeruel and the absorption into Eva and whatnot, Shinji quit for reals, as in, he got up and left Tokyo 3, intending to never return ever again." It's also Shinji/Asuka, I guess... (...sorry NemZ) but that wasn't the point of it.

... I was aiming for 'original flavor' ... but I kept on incorporating random things from the manga/games/etc. (like Toji being dead, Mana and the Tridents, F-Type weapons, etc.) ... so it mutated into something quite different.

Also:
* Eyepatch Asuka
* "This is not according to the scenario!"
- "This isn't as planned, but hey, I'll take it!"
* Sonic Adventure 3 was made.
* Gendo was a Getter Robo fan
* Kaworu the dark lord on his dark throne, gazing at the world through darkened eyes, thinking dark thoughts, with his dark soul and dark heart set on godhood; sipping on gin and juice, with his mind on his money and his money on his mind.

Most of the script's godawful ... I'm in a major revision phase right now on it, it'll probably never get done. >_>
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Tsachoul
Lilith

Postby Tsachoul » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 am

For some reason I always seem to find a new FF to read just as I am supposed to be finishing an essay or something, and instead end up marathoning the fic in a day or two.

Occasionally I have been tempted to write, but I always end up constructing elaborate scenes which would look great on screen, but not work in writing. I am able to do much more with moving pictures. A pity that realistic looking CG is rather out of the question for a self-funded production, the same with animation (or at least greatly time consuming).
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

Return to “Fanfiction”