FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:18 pm

I always thought Shinji and Toji are in Junior High School

And the way they mention getting chewed out by a Grade School Kid makes Grade School Kid seem rather kiddie/young compared to Shinji & Co themselves.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Considering the chart on this page, Shinji, Touji, Kensuke and the rest are in the beginning of their third year of Junior High School when the series starts.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm

If someone wants to write a fic that ignores one line about a character's age, why not? It's all made up anyway, yeesh.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If someone wants to write a fic that ignores one line about a character's age, why not? It's all made up anyway, yeesh.

There's a kind of extra sexiness that comes with sticking to the letter of the script while wildly defying the common interpretations. Just saying, that's why people care.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:04 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Considering the chart on this page, Shinji, Touji, Kensuke and the rest are in the beginning of their third year of Junior High School when the series starts.

Yes, but notice that "grade school" doesn't appear anywhere on that chart. Looking at the Japanese script would be helpful here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:09 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yes, but notice that "grade school" doesn't appear anywhere on that chart. Looking at the Japanese script would be helpful here.

Yeah, I noticed that. But there seemed to be some confusion about what grade Shinji's class was in. That's what I was looking to clear up. I always thought "grade school" just meant "elementary school", but I could be wrong.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Synonyms:
primary school - grammar school - elementary school
One of these is not the same -- grammar school is a type of high-school, this side of the pond (one that selects by academic ability).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:One of these is not the same -- grammar school is a type of high-school, this side of the pond (one that selects by academic ability).

Not this side of the pond. As I understand it, you also call private schools public schools.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Shinji et al. are in 中学校 (chuugakkou), junior high school.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 pm

This is becoming entertaining... :lol:

1-6 - Grade/Elementary/Primary
1-3 - Junior High
1-3 - Senior High

Nuff said.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Which of the following sounds more interesting. Relatively.

(1) Shinji the goose-killing maniac tries to settle down and date a nice girl after Unit One evolves into Super Eva and kills Ramiel by itself. Except the nice girl has a genetic mutation (her parents were at Tokyo) that makes her tits huge.

(2) Shinji the closet psychopath tries to kill time finding a place for himself in a world that has considered him dead for ten years. He meets a young deaf girl who helps him reconnect.

(3) Shinji the post-human sets about stopping the inevitable destruction of the human race. Basically trying to sell NGE Shinji as turning his (no longer strictly human) mind to science.

(4) Shinji the student is at the center of a meta-temporal paradox that requires he surrender his free will. He isn't comfortable with this, at all. But after he does a wandering inter-dimensional being gives him a series of "summer jobs" that involve traveling to other worlds and performing certain tasks. This culminates in Shinji acquiring both a weapon capable of saving his planet from a newly-emerged threat -- a consequence of the now-resolved meta-temporal paradox -- and the will to use that weapon.
Also, there's a bunch of Stephen King references because this Shinji is translating The Gunslinger for fun.
The story will probably end with the weapon destroying any memory of Shinji in the world. Parents, adopted sister, Asuka, the works. Everyone forgets him.
And the world, as it said, moved on.

Yeah, I got some time to kill this break, was meditating on which story to continue next.
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 am

(1) and (2).

Are these unrelated to your parts of Branching Paths? Because (1) sounds like it may set right out of the last portion of that.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 am

(2) and (3) both sound really interesting. I'd gladly read them.

On another note, does anyone know a good beta reader who's taking requests?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Are these unrelated to your parts of Branching Paths? Because (1) sounds like it may set right out of the last portion of that.

Ayup.
(1) Branching Paths
(2) Beneath
(3) The Foregone Conclusion
(4) Wake Up, Ikari!

Like I said, just trying to prioritize.

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:(2) and (3) both sound really interesting. I'd gladly read them.

On another note, does anyone know a good beta reader who's taking requests?

Try PMing Fresh C through FFN. He hasn't done anything worthwhile lately.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 am

Adding Beneath to my 'to read' list then, and... Definitely want more Branching Paths.

New post: Finally got around to reading When She Smiles last night. It's a lovely little piece and quite moving at times. I found the more interesting parts however weren't the A/S ones, but instead with Shinji and his interactions with other characters, i.e. Toji, Misato and Hikari. Or even just other said characters outside of their interactions with Shinji altogether. I really wanted to continue reading their stories.

It also made me realise how awesome an ongoing post-3I drama would be. You know, just following the players from NGE (with Shinji and the others still being the main characters) as they try and piece their lives back together after Instrumentality. People getting their communities back up and running, i.e. basic stuff like school, electricity, clean water - A lot of things which were touched upon in this FF. There's a lot that could be expanded, and it could be really juicy.

The different chapters felt episodic in both a good and bad way, and while the relationship between Asuka and Shinji was the main focus of the story, I felt like I didn't get enough genuine Asuka content. That would probably be because of the situation in the narrative here though.

Great read all up. Recommended.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Link: When She Smiles. For everybody else.

Slice of life stuff is hard to make compelling. There's Orchestrating the Silence, which is mostly Earth Abides / Night Work with Asuka stalking Shinji through an urban ruin. Something like that anyway.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Link: When She Smiles. For everybody else.

I've just started reading it, but I'm fearful that it would have a very bad end for Asuka.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I already posted this snippet elsewhere, to generally positive reaction. For your enjoyment.

----

The small town was silent. As if all life had ceased, no humans could be seen.

That is, no humans except for the pair near the train station.

“Phone's not working.” – the boy reported flatly as he hung the receiver back.

His companion curtly nodded. – “Doesn't matter. All we need to do is-“ – He paused abruptly, in complete sync with the boy raising his head in alarm. – “You felt that too? That pressure?”

“Yes, Master.”

The blond man with sunglasses sighed. – “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me Master?”

“I apologize, Master.”

Any further discussion was forgotten when it showed up. Following a sizeable group of VTOL aircraft, the entity lumbered out from behind a hill, every step sending shockwaves across the small town.

In another time, it would've been a cause for fear in a certain boy. This time however, Shinji Ikari merely raised an eyebrow... in the exact manner his companion did.

“Well... that was certainly unexpected.” – the man deadpanned.

"They're going to die." - Shinji added tonelessly, right before Sachiel impaled one of the offending VTOLs. Both winced at the pilot's death scream echoing inside their heads.

And so it happens all over again: humanity's stupidity and arrogance costing lives.’ the man thought with distaste. ‘One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth... but why couldn't anyone see back then that the choices I made were the right ones?

His mind briefly wandered back to the past. In the other world, he had been the greatest of leaders, followed by and prayed to by many. Yet when he gambled all that in a desperate attempt to free the souls bound to Mother Earth... he lost it all.

Snapping back to reality, he barked out – “Get down!!” – and pulled the boy to the ground, a split-second before the cruise missile's exhaust gases superheated the area their heads used to occupy moments before.

I must be getting rusty if I only felt that one coming just now.’ he wondered with a frown.

Fortunately, he didn't have to continue that line of thought as a car skidded to a halt in front of them, driven by the exact person they were supposed to be searching for.

----

"Are you alright?"

A simple question, really. After all, women are supposed to be more concerned with the safety of children; in this case, the feeling towards the boy huddled over behind her was honest.

However, all she got in response was monotone mumbling. - "Limited field of vision, vulnerable to flanking attacks... structural weakness in arms, can be disabled with an orthogonal strike..."

"Hey!"

Shinji's head snapped up as if he had just woken up. - "Oh- I'm sorry, what?"

"I said, are you alright?"

"Don't mind me." - he replied curtly, evidently finding the world outside the car far more interesting than the very attractive woman lowering herself to actually talking to him.

That and his earlier trance were ringing alarm bells in Misato Katsuragi's head.

"If he were to have any problems, he'd say it." - Shinji's companion spoke up. - "Please excuse his manners; he has... problems with trusting strangers. Especially ones who conveniently show up at just the right time to pull him out of a potentially hostile situation. Especially if it's the very person who is supposed to be liaison to a family member he hadn't seen for years but suddenly calls for him with a curiously short message." - He paused for nearly a minute, staring at her all the while (at least she thought he was looking at her - his sunglasses made it hard to tell) before continuing. - "I can't help but think this timing was more than just coincidence and Shinji probably agrees with me."

"What makes you think that?"

"...let's just call it 'gut feeling'." - he replied.

"Really. You've got one hell of a 'gut feeling', mister- oh, wait; I haven't even introduced myself. Misato Katsuragi." - she said as she clumsily offered her right hand over her left arm still clutching the steering wheel.

A tiny smirk appeared under the sunglasses as the man accepted the offered handshake. – “Char Aznable.”
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm

I got this question relevant to most post EoE 3I fanfics out there.

I've post numerous post 3I fics, where Shinji and Asuka would be going back to the ruins of Nerv HQ and/or Tokyo-3 for survival supplies in the post apocalyptic world.

However, having re-watched EoE, and reading what's on Eva Wiki, the entire GeoFront (above which Tokyo-3 was built) is the Black Moon that got lifted into space by LilithRei. Wouldn't that make it impossible for any ruins of Tokyo-3 and/or Nerv HQ to be found post 3I?

Thanks for reading!
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:32 pm

View Original Postgorgeousshutin wrote:Wouldn't that make it impossible for any ruins of Tokyo-3 and/or Nerv HQ to be found post 3I?
Well, unless they could imagine themselves in their own hearts, that is :D

There's probably an "out of sight, out of mind" effect here, as we only get the view from orbit or from inside the GeoFront; the ground level effects of all the impact related events we are shown are not directly relevant to the story, so get no more than their implication.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Fanfiction”