Rebuild of Eva re-released on Blu-Ray & DVD as 1.11

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Rebuild of Eva re-released on Blu-Ray & DVD as 1.11

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 pm

Gendo'sPapa gave the link for wrote:[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-19/anno-evangelion-2.0-film-slated-for-june-27-in-japan[/url]

Durr me, I originally didn't notice the blurb about 1.11 until I read it again. :facepalm:

Anyway, discuss about this re-release. Personally, I'm wondering if Funimation will get the rights to this, and or what the "new cuts" entail, if anything.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 pm

my hopes exactly SSD
Im assuming they would if they liscensed REBUILD in its entirty
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:41 pm

No worries.

But the thing that's gonna bug me is this won't be the last re-edit of this film we'll get I'm sure.

I figure the changes they'll make is brighten the image quality and add in a quick cryptic insert here and there that will overall better tie the four films together. Cause right now I'm 100% sure Eva 2.0 went through some sort of drastic rewrite and evolution that Anno did not originally intend. I remember one of those Pachinko shorts had a fully Rebuild animated explosion shot of Shamshel where she fell onto and enveloped Eva 01 before going ker-blooey. So I bet that might sneak in.

Downside is expect another one of these to Film 1 come the release of Part 3 and so on and so forth.

Unless if the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray has outstanding extras and the film goes through some drastic changes this cut will probably be torrented by myself. And not spend another $70+ to buy it imported.

It'd be nice if Funimation got these new versions. Probably will bring them out in a REBUILD OF EVANGELION BOXSET when the series is completed.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Seeing as I forgot to post this link earlier: http://www.evageeks.org/2009/02/rebuild-101-re-released-on-dvd-and-blue-ray-disc-as-rebuld-111/

Also, I'm hoping their will be some ultimate boxset release in the states of all the revisions of the 4 Rebuild films....only to be overshadowed by a re-release and mastering by Gainax/Khara a month later, then ANOTHER release a year later, then a decade later will be the.... -o-;

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Cool, added material, high deff. What's not to like.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Pre-ordering the BD from amazon.co.jp as soon as it's up there and I will be masturbating furiously when it gets here.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:24 pm

If there any new cuts, providing some screen caps would be awesome. ;)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:46 pm

I guess this'll be my excuse to finally replace my computer's old DVD drive (which is so crappy I have to use a straightened paper clip to make it eject) with a Blu-Ray/DVD drive.

And damn those Khairax bastards. What exactly are they going to be "remastering" here? It's a digital film, for crissake. "Remastering" is just a fancy way of saying "giving them what they should've gotten the first time around", amirite?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:09 am

Reichu wrote:And damn those Khairax bastards. What exactly are they going to be "remastering" here? It's a digital film, for crissake. "Remastering" is just a fancy way of saying "giving them what they should've gotten the first time around", amirite?

Remastering basically just means making a new master from which all copies are made. All it could means is just the added scenes, but could include a 7.1 remix of the audio and fixing the brightness issues.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:29 am

Reichu wrote:I guess this'll be my excuse to finally replace my computer's old DVD drive (which is so crappy I have to use a straightened paper clip to make it eject) with a Blu-Ray/DVD drive.

A BD drive is nice to have, just make sure your computer either properly supports the HDCP bullshit or you have the right programs to get around that. Can be annoying, especially when you can't play something you actually paid for, but once out of the way the 2073600 pixels per frame are soooooo worth it.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 am

*shakes head*
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:01 am

Watch the only change they make to this release is they reshape and update the teaser for 2.0.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:reshape and update the teaser for 2.0.

and make it more like the original series, so that the theatrical version was "LOL, we troll you!"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm

PREDICTION/THEORY:
FUNimation Entertainment Licensed 1.11. They put it online as 1.01 so as not to let the cat out of the bag before Japan announced that they were releasing 1.11.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm really really really hoping you're right, Cat42.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pm

FUNimation Entertainment seems to me like a company who wants to keep anime fans happy. Shikabane Hime, for example, is available online, for free, legally a couple weeks after it airs in Japan.

Hell Girl came with art cards, and extras like actor interviews and such with each DVD.

They release half season box sets for fairly cheap, and full season box sets later on even cheaper.

They released DBZ widescreen in America before it was even released that way in Japan!

They always go for digital distribution rights along with DVD and Blu-ray rights now.

I'll admit, I was a bit let down with their xxxHOLiC DVD release and it's lack of extras, however, Kodansha by my understanding has been getting harder to negotiate with.

They got a crapload of extras for Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki 3.

They rescued so many Geneon titles that were in flux.

Hell, when I had issues with 2 of my DVDs released by them, they replaced them even though I had lost the receipts.

Believe in FUNimation!
I believe in Eva 1.0's licenser!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 pm

:yippee: I feel much better now! :boingy:

Okay, that's enough of that.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:38 pm

cat42 wrote:They released DBZ widescreen in America before it was even released that way in Japan!

The problem with that is, DBZ was made for 4:3. The cels and film always have more than you usually see, so Funi's new master gains stuff on the side but at the same time they crop off what was on top and bottom of the previous release. What they should have done is gone for full frame release that gives you as much of the film as possible. Pillarboxing is perfectly fine. I'd rather have that then cropping to make it 16:9.

Their worst crime though is filtering the life out of it to the point where they not only get rid of the dust, the film grain and other stuff, but they filter out the cel detail and flatten the image to the point of eye cancer. Then fuck with the colors to make it all shinier than it ever was. Doing this to traditionally animated works is a crime for which you should be dragged out onto the street and shot.

Japan is doing their own remaster of it now for the HD rebroadcast, hopefully they aren't as stupid as Funi. It will probably still be cropped to fit 16:9 for the broadcast but there is still a chance of full frame BD release.

I really have no faith in any R1 publisher other than Bandai Ent, since they swallowed up BV USA now. BV USA are <3 because quite a few of their releases are the same disc as Japan, but packaged for North America instead.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 pm

I hate to be nitpicky but the front page says this comes out May 17 when it actually comes out May 27.

Anywho, I hope Funimation gets it right. I'm not sure if I'm missing out on any extras but I'm glad they rushed GURREN-LAGANN to DVD with no English dub cause after hearing those few clips on youtube I felt like throwing up.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Whoops. :shinji_blush:

Nitpickiness in this case is good. Thanks. ^^;

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”