N00b's and why people hate them

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

N00b's and why people hate them

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:06 pm

Since i've been online i've seen this happen time and time again here and just about every board i've been on. Some n00b kid or otherwise comes along and makes a simple mistake not knowing the local customs and they get flamed like joan of ark at the stake.

I have never understood this, as most often they are just making the same mistakes that the regulars make avery so often them selves.

I was on the megatokyo board the other day and a new person shows up making threads in in propper places using grammer and spelling worse then even mine and asking question the local FAQ were ment to keep off the board. Natrualy this person got flamed, with no mercy. It realy made me sick that people were seemingly going out of their way rub it in the posters face.

I PM the n00b to offer some help she was a 15 year old kid that speaks english as a second language ( still very much in the learning stages), she was very up set that people were going out of their way just to be mean to her.

My thoughs on this are WTF Every person here was a n00b once and screwed up in some way or another. Why do poster on boards ( this one to a lesser extent but I have scene it here too) feel the need to be mean to the newcomers making simple mistakes ?

I know this realy isn't the place for this but questions of this nature ofent get better more mature responcews on smaller boards like this.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:18 pm

"Not knowing the local customs"? Rules and guidelines exist for a reason. And, unlike the fine print you're supposed to read before installing some software package on your computer, forum rules tend to be written in simple language and actually make practical sense.

It's amazing how universally applicable the "Posting and You" Flash for the Steam forum is, as well.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Keep in mind that a lot of the people on forums are stupid kids...

"no offense"

...but most of the anti-n00bish behavior is by immature kids that shouldn't be allowed on the internet anyway. Rules do exist for a reason. Just so long as they're there and are visible, people should be aware of them.

A lot of people ask some stupid damn questions that are in big bold font at the top of a page. I can understand why people get frustrated with them. I try not to give them a hard time, but I often fail miserably. Hence why a lot of my "This thread sucks" posts at Anime Nation get deleted.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:44 pm

My main problem with your view points are this you to have more then likly done the same thing your selves. Same with me, I' ve gone to RPG sights and asked dumb shit like what is a " muchkin" , and watched with glee as I restarted an old argument that has no real point or end. Naturaly I got my ass flamed for starting it up again, and later ( and still ) for bad grammer and such.

I honistly don't think i've encounterd some on thats been nice about it. I've screwed up you've screwed up that kid on the MT boards screwed up. If its somthing most of us do why can't we just behave half as well as we excpect the n00bs to and explain to them how to go about things nicly while remembering as the monkey said most of the time its a kid we're dealing with and nice about it.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:22 pm

It's easier to ask than to search and read. That's why many people doesn't care for searching or reading the rules.

I think the most annoying noobs are those who use 800*1200 px avatars or sigs. There's no rationale for that. But most botherin are the noob admins that don't apply the remedy of installing the external sig and avvie size limiter mod to their phpbb's. Even when you offer help to them on doing it.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:50 pm

Er... well.... I don't really mind noobs, but I simply cannot stand those who make little to no attempt to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Having English as a second language is about the only valid excuse for that.

I don't really think you need to worry about that too much on this board; Monkey seems like a nice guy even if he can be a bit anal. But feel free to chide anyone of us if we go into "noob bashing" mode anytime soon. :D
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:12 pm

When people are first new, they're going to make a/some mistake(s). It isn't really fair when people jump at every chance to tear apart someone. But, if you were smart, knowing how most people can be, you'd lie very, very low for a while. I feel bad for this girl, she has a legitement excuse, but she should have tried and read the rules or checked her surroundings more closely. Then again, it's the internet. What's the big deal is someone 3,000 miles away thinks your retarded?

People just need to be a tad more forgiving.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:37 am

AchtungAffen wrote:It's easier to ask than to search and read. That's why many people doesn't care for searching or reading the rules.

And laziness is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. By bashing them for being lazy bastards, we're trying to save them from going to Hell.

But seriously... Don't these people realize that by being lazy, they're making the rest of us work harder? (Or, at least, expecting us to be less lazy than them.) And that's just not fair. I use Google all the bloody time. These are not the dark ages of search engines. If people can't be bothered to utilize free resources to look up answers to exceedingly simple and common questions in a matter of minutes, I am going to give them snark.

And of course reading the rules before making an ass of yourself is common sense. But if you are going to make an ass of yourself, you might as well learn the hard way, otherwise you may not learn at all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Genocide
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Genocide » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:03 am

I always try to be nice about it. I don't think I've ever flamed a "n00b".
"I wish everyone would just die."

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:16 pm

People don't like "n00bs" because it means they have to get out of their comfy chairs, and point/flame this newbie to the right direction/hell. Apparently for some people this is difficult.

But if this forum decided to go elitist, we'd only have about 1/4 of the users we currently do.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:03 pm

gawd i kn0w n00bs sux so much.

btw wat iz n00b?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Actually, I enjoy educating the Noobs. I feel that I'm doing a great public service whenever I undo all the damage thats been done to them by listening to EVA DVD commentaries, for instance.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:41 pm

The comentaries are funny... I think everyone should listen to them...

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:29 pm

Torment is education. The agents are irrelevant.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:28 am

Everyone was a n00b once.
Everyone got smacked around once.
Everyone learned.
Everyone is willing to smack someone else.
Is it reciprocity? I don't know. I think it goes back to the concept of humanity's willingness (nay, perhaps delight?) in finding fault with others. It is a way to feel superior. Those with underdeveloped egos and "small lives" take the most delight, as their self-worth is the most damaged.
Done. Guarding.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:58 pm

*feels shitty for posting seeing as I'm the newest member posting in this thread*

N00bs. I remember having this arguement with max3k. I think I won. I don't care.

Datdude. Ur right. Ill back u 100%. And then some. People have no tollerance, or atleast, not allot. The fact that we have a chit-chat and off-topic section should help with mods should help. I mean, how long does it take to graduate from being a n00b to whatever comes after that?

I remember people smacking me around when I joined. I remember smacking back. Then almost got banned. And again. And again.

So I havn't really learned much hav I?
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:07 pm

You know what happened when I wrote my first message here? I'll tell you - DatDude PM'd med this;

To: Sventevith
Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:42 am
Subject: rating the n00b Quote message
So far nice sence of humor, and Asuka fan ( a big plus). ok you passed the test and will njot be killed like the others. Welcome to the boards. Just please try to remember that we do not treat dubs like the 8th deadly sin around here and every thing will be fine.

Greeting I am datdue class clown and resident jackass. Pleased to meet you.

Dubs are the 8th sin.
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:08 pm

Dave wrote:Er... well.... I don't really mind noobs, but I simply cannot stand those who make little to no attempt to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Having English as a second language is about the only valid excuse for that.

I don't really think you need to worry about that too much on this board; Monkey seems like a nice guy even if he can be a bit anal. But feel free to chide anyone of us if we go into "noob bashing" mode anytime soon. :D

Holy crap...
You wouldn't have wanted to be at the Zelda forums I go to a few months ago...
Screen name: shippo
Grammar: Z-
Spelling: *Un-gradeable*
Example: hi guz how u ding? i jus noticed a rel kol ting! zleda is kol!11!

Seriously. It was pure horror.
But, it was a girl. I was wondering... What... the... fuck...?

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:29 am

I don't have a problem with n00bs unless they do something that really bothers me.

:o
i AM the internets.

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm

Examples?

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”