Your First Episode

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Your First Episode

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 pm

What was the first epiosde that you saw first in the series? For me I think it was Episode 8 back in 1996 or 1997.

What about you?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Music Video, I Think I'm A Clone Now, but first full episode was 1, about 7-9 months after I saw the video.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

DavidSeth2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DavidSeth2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:21 am

ep 25 =/ its funny how you found eva through that weird al amv, where as i found weird al through that very same eva amv lol.
He's not your friend, he's ours! If somebody's gonna kill him, it should be us!

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am

Episode 1 or 2(can't remember) on AdultSwim.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:44 am

Ep 7

...yeah, I kinda went like "what's the big deal with this show"

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 am

I believe that the episode with Leliel was the first episode I saw, but when I saw episodes 25-26 for the first time, I had a very strong sense that I'd seen them somewhere before a long time before. I dunno :/
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Episode 9. Then I made the fatal error of watching EoE right after.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 am

Death and Rebirth was the first thing. Then episode one.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 pm

First one I saw was the dub version of ep23 (on VHS!). A friend had it in when I came over, and it really blew me away when 'that blue-haired chick' blew herself up to save 'that scrawny guy'. When my pal found out I hadn't seen any of NGE before he immediately yanked that tape out (well before Ritsuko's confessions) and started me off at the beginning.

It definately colored my opinions of the show, as I saw it as a tragic Shinji/Rei romance and thus rather disliked Asuka right from the start for her role as Rei's rival. It's worth noting that the only anime I'd seen at the time were of the mecha and comedy/harem genres... NGE was quite an eye-opening experience!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 pm

I managed the unusual feat of having started with episode 1, totally unspoilt, and worked through in order, following up the series with EoE.

It still looked like a Shinji/Rei romance to me -- at least up to such a time as the story had gone well beyond such territory (about episode 16).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I managed the unusual feat of having started with episode 1, totally unspoilt, and worked through in order, following up the series with EoE.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

EoE...yeah, not a good idea.

I just sort of thought 'that wus feckin weird...butAWESOME!! NEEDMOAR!!!' and bought the series after that.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:08 am

I think it had to have been two or three when it first aired on adult swim. I watched maybe five minutes, saw a chick with short-shorts and a penguin doing wacky things and immediately dismissed it as some juvenile shonen-type crap.

And then maybe a month later I caught ep 24 on late at night and was just kind of listening to it as I was folding laundry. By this time I'd caught a couple minutes of some of the later episodes and was intrigued. I saw Shinji taken into Leliel and crush Kaworu. I didn't know the significance of any of it, but it made me realize that I'd probably judged the show too quickly.

Then 24 sealed it for me, I loved the surreal, minimalist psychoanalytical angle. So, I decided when it was re-run I was going to watch every episode in order.

Now, I can't take most other anime seriously.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:08 am

End of Evangelion first.... then around to 1 and straight through, except 4 and 5.

It's like taking The Dark Tower and reading coda(found) then slinging right back to the start... sort of.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am

First episode I saw was Magma Diver back in '07. I thought to myself "This show looks like a bit of fun!" How wrong I was...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 pm

episode 26 back when Eva was on Adult Swim
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:35 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:episode 26 back when Eva was on Adult Swim

Wow, what a lousy way to start.

I went sequentially through 1-26, then saw EoE, then Rebuild.
Gamer_2k4

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:25 pm

The first episode WAS my first episode.

I found the Platinum editions of the series at a video store for like 50 bucks, and I was like, "I'm in the mood for something new..." and bought it on a whim.

I did not regret it.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Hellfire
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hellfire » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Xard wrote:Ep 7

...yeah, I kinda went like "what's the big deal with this show"
I think the same for me-it was right around the time Asuka first showed up-and I thought "What makes this show so special?" (Friends from another forum liked it.) Anyhoo...
...a second chance is all you have left...
...remember why you cling to this gift...
-BS2

Me: I can see it, I can taste it, I can smell it!
Annihilationscape: Sounds like a whore to me!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I managed the unusual feat of having started with episode 1, totally unspoilt, and worked through in order, following up the series with EoE.

Me too.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”