I liked Evangelion (a lot) so I should also see...?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

I liked Evangelion (a lot) so I should also see...?

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Maybe this has been done before, but I didn't know how to ask the Search Goddess...

I liked NGE. Well, I love it actually. OK, I'm totally fascinated to the point of obsession (or I wouldn't be here, right?).

I like the visuals, the level characterization, the psuedo science, and its touchpoints on philosophy - perhaps also it's use of the theme of evolution of the human race.

The only other modern anime I've seen is the Akira movie, which I also liked (fantastical elements put into a "science" context, post-apocolyptic setting, the level of characterization, religion making use of events for its own purposes - a minor element here - hmm, and again the evolution of the human race).

What other anime would you recommend as having the same flavor of NGE? I'm not so much after "giant robot battles".

Thank you, oh wise and experienced fans...
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: I liked Evangelion (a lot) so I should also see...?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:08 pm

VoidEater wrote:I like the visuals

Try Anno's earlier shows, Gunbuster (6 episodes) and Nadia (beware of zomgbleach filler).

the level characterization

I'm not really sure what this means, so I'm going to semi-randomly say Rose of Versailles.

the psuedo science,

Eureka Seven.

perhaps also it's use of the theme of evolution of the human race.

Most Universal Century timeline Gundams, followed by Gundam X. Getter Robo Armageddon and Gurren Lagann. Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

religion making use of events for its own purposes

Legend of Galactic Heroes. 110 episodes, totally worth it.

same flavor of NGE

Some puzzle-like series: Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Alien Nine, Mind Game. These should make you go all WHAT.

EDIT: Yes, many of the shows I listed have giant robots in them, because animated science fiction doesn't apparently sell otherwise.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Look into Lucky Star. Deep psychological story with similar elements. Honey and Clover is another similar show. If you like the mecha style, Minami-ke is good, though the designs changed in the second and third seasons. Also, Ichigo Mashimaro has similar characters to Rei I.

Alternatively,
1) Go to www.myanimelist.net
2) Search for Evangelion
3) Find "recommendations"
4) ??????
5) Profit
Last edited by ZapX on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Lovely, thank you - I take your recommendations here seriously...
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Here, I'll make it even easier.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion/userrecs

HTH,
Zappy-chan ^__^
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 pm

ZapalacX wrote:Here, I'll make it even easier.

;-)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:
VoidEater wrote:I like the visuals

Try Anno's earlier shows, Gunbuster (6 episodes) and Nadia (beware of zomgbleach filler).

Gunbuster, definetly yes. Nadia, not so much (Anno's creative control was greatly limited on Nadia and it shows in rather typical anime storytelling/directing.)

ZapalacX wrote:Look into Lucky Star.

Now that was cruel

Shows of "NGE" flavour that are definetly worth checking out:

- Serial Experiments Lain
- Boogiepop Phantom (I hope I wrote that right, not sure)
- Haibane Renmei
- Paranoia Agent

Non-anime recommendation:

Shiki-Jitsu

I digged it when I first saw it, now I consider it to be absolute masterpiece. Easily Anno's second-best work not that far below Evangelion. Grand visuals, perfect cinematography and direction, subtetly, great performances etc.

Only flaw is (IMO) the animated sequences - they just don't work in my opinion and instead of creepy come off as somewhat corny (with one exception) but there's only 3 such scenes, really.

Oh, and themes dealt with are the same as in Eva

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Take a look at Ideon, its what inspired Eva

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm

honsou wrote:Take a look at Ideon, its what inspired Eva

yeah, this too

It's not brilliant, but mostly passable/good. The ending's really great though. Really, really great

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Yes, Ideon has 30-something episodes of enemy-samurai-of-the-week grinding, then it gets really good, then it gets abruptly cancelled, and then it gets a movie ending, which is again good (and bloody and trippy).

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:40 pm

I hear Serial Experiments Lain deals with many of the same themes as Evangelion. You might want to check that one out.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Delightful...thanks to all! I will keep checking of course.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 pm

This thread is helpful also to me, although I'm wondering: Does Anno's live-action films have the flavor of Eva with it's psychological insights or the characters? At the very least, are Love & Pop and Shiki-jitsu (sp) recommended, or only because they have Anno's name on them?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 pm

VoidEater wrote:the psuedo science, and its touchpoints on philosophy - perhaps also it's use of the theme of evolution of the human race.

This last seems to be a re-used theme in more thoughtful anime titles -- it's definitely there in Serial Experiments Lain, and I'm sure I've seen it in other places (in the Narutaru manga, if perhaps not the anime, IIRC).

You might also find, from the philosophy angle many of the titles which Masamune Shirow has input into -- in particular both Ghost in the Shell : Stand-Alone Complex series, and Ghost Hound.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Aside from the recs already posted, here are some more as far as visuals, characterization, psuedo science, philosophy, and human evolution. In no particular order:
Real Drive
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Kaiba
Texhnolyze
Fantastic Children
Noein
Welcome to NHK
Gilgamesh
Monster
Shinigami no Ballad
Kino's Journey
Tekkonkinkreet (movie)
Juuni Kokki (incomplete)
Wings of Honneamise (movie)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:This thread is helpful also to me, although I'm wondering: Does Anno's live-action films have the flavor of Eva with it's psychological insights or the characters? At the very least, are Love & Pop and Shiki-jitsu (sp) recommended, or only because they have Anno's name on them?

Shiki-Jitsu is virtually unknown film (as it only ran in few film festivals + in obscure art museums in Japan), but absolutely brilliant in nearly all aspects. It's like Eva; layers upon layers of nyances you start to "get" only after repeated viewings. It's very heavy and psychological stuff and thematically very similar to Eva. As that movie ultimately has emerged as one of my all time favourites it's easier to list it's weaknesses than its strenghts:

- one "mindfuck" scene that was ment to be threatening and a kin to Asuka's mindrape ends up bloody hilarious and corny.
- one other animated mindfuck scene works partially
- film drags little bit just before reaching it's grand finale

Despite these flaws (and I'm very good at finding flaws by oten being way too harsh on things I like.) it's 10/10 for me.

Love&Pop is certainly interesting and very experimental, and last third or so is absolutely brilliant, but that doesn't excuse for meh first hour or so.

Shiki Jitsu: 5 stars
Love&Pop: 3½ stars

Mr. Tines wrote:
VoidEater wrote:the psuedo science, and its touchpoints on philosophy - perhaps also it's use of the theme of evolution of the human race.

This last seems to be a re-used theme in more thoughtful anime titles -- it's definitely there in Serial Experiments Lain, and I'm suer I've seen it in other places (in the Narutaru manga, if perhaps not the anime, IIRC).

You might also find, from the philosophy angle many of the titles which Masamune Shirow has input into -- in particular both Ghost in the Shell : Stand-Alone Complex series, and Ghost Hound.

yeah, it's bloody common theme in anime. I also reccomend GitS

Revolutionary Girl Utena: "NGE for girls"

Grand series but not on the level of Evangelion. Highly symbolic.

Monster: I never got past ep 30 (computer went nuts and I never got around to watching it again. I should though) but since Ornette has IMO really good taste and it's pretty much is all time favourite AND I really liked most of what I saw I'd dare to recommend Monster too.

In visual storytelling etc. aspects it's not as grand and unique like NGE, nor is it so philosphical work, but it is killer level psychological triller sries with great script and characters.

And I have only seen only half of it!

Kino's Journey
Texhnolyze

I really want to see these two, esp Texhnolyze.

Wings of Honneamise is GAINAX and anime classic that's kind of "must see" for anime acolytes - and most people seem to think it's great. Me, I think as a film it was very average with absolutely briliant milieu that deserves more use.

but that might be just me :tongue:

DavidSeth2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DavidSeth2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 am

How bout rahxephon? I enjoyed it a lot, however some people get upset that its an Evangelion rip-off (but isnt imitation the best form of flattery?). but if giant robots are not your thing then how bout Seirei no Moribito? I just got done watching that series. Its really, really good. Plus I think its airing on Adult Swim if you dont want/cant get the dvds.

oh and Ornette good call on Kaiba. Sadly, none of my friends want to see it. they take one look at the style and decide that they hate it =/
He's not your friend, he's ours! If somebody's gonna kill him, it should be us!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 am

Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann
A mech aanime that is not generic

From Studio GAINAX

I am surprised no one mentioned it...
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:36 am

Pay more attention, kid, that was mentioned in the first post. I don't really think that's the first thing I'd recommend to someone who wants something similar to NGE. It's a "don't take this seriously", comically over the top, "turn your brain off and enjoy the ride" kind of anime. It does have to do with the evolution of the human race, but not necessarily in a "scientific" or "ZOMG DEEP!" way. It's a bitchin' show, and I loved it but in many ways it's the polar opposite of Evangelion.

tl;dr:

NGE

Shinji Chair

Gurren Lagann

who_the_fffffuuuuuck.gif

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:59 pm

This has been a delightful journey - thank you all again!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”