Favorite Eva Music

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Quiddity
Lilith

Favorite Eva Music

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

While I think Eva's overall soundtrack pales in comparison to other soundtracks out there (particularly that of Fooly Cooly and Yoko Kanno soundtracks like Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop), it nonetheless has some great music tracks. What are your favorites, and why?

Thanatos - A nice dramatic theme I've always enjoyed, used very well during the series in eps 19 and 23. Also enjoy the 2 remixes from End of Eva, the first which occurs during Misato's last scene with Shinji, and the other obviously the lyrical.

Mother is the First Other - Most of the 'psychological scene' themes are rather dull and lifeless but this one has a better, epic feel to it and has a mysterious touch to it. The version with the orchestra used for the EOE trailer is even better, likewise with the 2 remixes in the movie. Very similar to a theme from Ideon's ending.

Seperation Anxiety & Infantile Dependence, Adult Dependency - Two more themes used during the psychological scenes that while not as good as Mother is the First Other are pretty good too.

Jesus Bleibet Meine Freud - I've always loved this piece of music, and that it is in EOE makes it even better! :)

And may as well come in from the other side too, which are the ones you can't stand? :D

Fly Me to the Moon - I liked this at first, but the umpteen remixes and absurdity with it on the OSTs turned me completely off to it. It would have been nice if they just kept with the original (I mean the first Eva version of it) and nothing else, but that didn't happen.

Likewise, the instrumental remixes of that and Cruel Angel's Thesis are ones I don't particularly care for either.

PLEASE try to mention WHY you like/dislike various themes rather than just posting a list and nothing else :p I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the various music tracks.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:32 pm

As you stated, the Eva OST's weren't all that great compared to some of the newer ones out there now. I don't think Evangelion would be quite the same if it's soundtracks were, say, re-done by Kanno or Kajura.

However, being a bit of a closet Classical music fan, I really enjoyed the J.S Bach pieces that were scattered throughout Evangelion.

I felt that "Air on the G" used during EOE when Asuka was fighting the Eva Series was just a brilliant touch of added calm to a chaotic battlefield.

Jesus Bleibet Meine Freud, was always a favorite of mine so I was quite pleased when it appeared in EOE.

Tamashii no Rufuran was also a great song. There's a few remixes of this song (Masami Okui's comes to mind), but I rather like Hayashibara's version. Her voice, and the overall sound itself was nice and mellow.

... And I like Asuka's odd, 'hick' theme, just for the shear novelty of it. It makes a nice annoying tune to play on the guitar as well. ;)

Other than that, I wasn't much fond of the rest of the soundtrack.
There were a few others that I didn't mind, but I'll have to give the OST's a listen to be sure.
Last edited by Asuka Langley on Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:33 pm

I have always loved the classical music they used.

The alleluyah in ep. 22 during the mind rape.
In the battle between Eva-02 and the Eva Series.
And my favorite of all...

The beethoven's 9th in episode 24 !!!!

And i loved that static minute between Eva01 and Kaworu with the music slowing down slowly.
*insert cool signature here*

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:38 pm

Nephilim wrote:And i loved that static minute between Eva01 and Kaworu with the music slowing down slowly.

Ah! I'd forgotten about that one.
Thanks for reminding me. :)

Also, Ode to Joy, which Kaworu was first humming when he met Shinji.
Last edited by Asuka Langley on Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:43 pm

Nephilim wrote:I have always loved the classical music they used.

The alleluyah in ep. 22 during the mind rape.
In the battle between Eva-02 and the Eva Series.
And my favorite of all...

The beethoven's 9th in episode 24 !!!!

And i loved that static minute between Eva01 and Kaworu with the music slowing down slowly.

Great music... poorly handled scene (sorry, but that pause drove me INSANE @_@). The first time I watched the series I was like "What the heck is this?!" when Halleluliah started playing, but I quickly fell in love with them all. Not mentioned was the stuff from Death, which was very good too. :)

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:49 pm

The pause was annoying, but it really meant well.
I can appreciate the meaning behind it and all, but it made me terribly impatient... so I guess it got it's job done.

Canon in D, was the most memorable track for me, used at the end of D&R.
That piece is simply amazing.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:13 pm

Am I bad if I absolutely love every track on the Eva soundtrack? Yeah, I love them all, especially the slower pieces. Hedgehog’s Dilemma and Barefoot in the Park come to mind. I like the battle tracks too. Some are parodies on other types of movie soundtracks (Angel Attack II is such a Bond rip :P ) which is why I like them, I guess—because I know the music that it’s parodying.

Anyways, I thought Eva’s soundtrack was great so nyaaaa!
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:50 pm

Komm, Süsser Tod was probably my favourite. I liked the lyrics and how they seemed to contradict the overall tune of the song. Happy music [somewhat], sad lyrics. Very bitter sweet. I also love how it went with the scene. the visuals and the music really brought out the best in each other, and made watching it really involving.

This was the only music piece that stood out to me, other than things like the 9th or Fly me to the Moon, which I don't consider Eva music but music that happened to be used in Eva, which for me doesn't count when picking favs.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:27 pm

I've always been musically aware, and I'm really a fan of all the classical pieces. All my favorites have already been mentioned, oh well. In ascending order...
3.Ode to Joy- A powerful, and yet simplistic piece of music, it was also very appropriate for Kaworu's final scene.
2.Pachebel's Canon -As I continue listening to it, I get a sense that the music is actually leading me somewhere, instead of just playing, forgive me if that made no sense.
1.Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude- The music felt both happy and sad at the same time, depending on how you interpret it. I wish the American DVD release had kept the credits the same, so I could hear the other version that played.
I also enjoyed the lyrical version of Thanatos and Komm, Susser Tod.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

tobias
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tobias » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:02 pm

-Good, or don't Be
-Tamashii no RUFURAN
-Jesus bleibet meine Freude (Day of Second Impact version)
-Komm süßer Tod
-Rei I
-Kanon D-dur
-Everything on the Evangelion: Death OST
-Kokoro yo Genshi ni Modore
-Shiawase wa Tsumi no Nioi

I'm not a fan of J-Pop, but the songs from the OST's are awesome. and no one can resist Pachelbel's Kanon. no one i say!
Tobias war hier!

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:22 am

I have always been a fan of classical music. Evangelion action and music make a good combination.

Although I wish the CD's would come down in price ( not likely to happen this century , lol) , I would download them but dont really have the space to keep them :( .

I would say that Tamashii no RUFURAN and Kanon D-dur would be my fav's
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:24 am

I also enjoy classical music, so I liked Evas soundtrack quite a bit. Aside from the classical pieces though, I loved Tamashi no Rufuran and Komm Susser Todd, and of course, the various versions of Cruel Angel's Thesis.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:34 am

Cruel Angel Thesis is pretty good, as well as Komm Susser Todd. my current favorite is Ode to Joy
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:43 am

Timesplitter 01 wrote:Although I wish the CD's would come down in price ( not likely to happen this century , lol) , I would download them but dont really have the space to keep them :( .

The domestic versions are only $14. You can find them on Animenation or at any Suncoast.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:00 am

Personally I thought the soundtracks to 'Death' and 'End of Evangelion' were absolutely amazing. I love every single track on the two CDs. The fact that the tracks run in chronological order compared to the movies is great too. Two must own CDs.

The Symphony of Evangelion is superb also.

For those who want a great compilation of Evangelion music from both the series and movies, the CD 'Refrain of Evangelion" (note, it's different from Evangelion: Refrain), is also a must-have.
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:47 pm

Like a lot of other people on this board I too am a fan of the classical music in the series (especially the alleluyah, always have loved that piece), I think the pieces they choose worked great with the scenes they were associated with. The J-Pop I can give or take, although I have often wondered what some of the mind trip scenes would have been like if they would have added some heavier music to them, specifically some of Hendrix's Rifts.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Rei 1 has to be my favorite piece of Evangelion music. That song is so sad... it fits Rei perfectly.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:25 pm

I just love the symphonic versions of Nerv and EVA-01, I love the EVA Symphonic OST becouse I love orchestra music. And of course Mother is the First Other is one of the coolist songs of all time, are they just chanting there or are there actul lyrics there?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:39 pm

Komm, Sussuer Tod is one of my favorite songs of all time. The EOE soundtrack is phenomenal. The Eva TV soundtrack is good,(especially Shinji's Theme, Dance Like You Want to Win, and Cruel Angel's Thesis). But, as far as anime soundtracks go, Yoko Kanno is the master. Nothing beats the Cowboy Bebop TV soundtracks. Maybe the EOE soundtrack equals them though. I love all the instrumental tracks on that CD.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:07 am

I love all the music on the End of Evangelion soundtrack.
I can only take so much retarded.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”