Ritsuko & Seele in Episode 23

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Like I said in my previous post, people need to stop being in denial.

I agree with you, but the debate of whether it was "actually" rape is going to go on fruitlessly because its a touchy issue.

That being said, we shouldn't shy away from discussing this kind of subject, either. It's an important aspect of the series. I just wouldn't expect turning people over to your cause. People's impressions on what "rape" is probably aren't going to change.

IMO its obviously rape. Refer back to the Shin-Seiki statement on that one.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
There's also a rather disturbing sequence in Love and Pop while not quite rape, from what I understand, is 10x worse than Shinji's fapping due to the presentation of it all. :XP:

two, actually.

man that video store scene is so hot :fap:

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:[a ton of pictures that are supposed to prove something]

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8079
Yep...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

esselfortium wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:[a ton of pictures that are supposed to prove something]

Yep...

haw haw haw, very funny

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 pm

esselfortium wrote:
I wrote:[a ton of pictures that are supposed to prove something]

Yep...

There's a huge difference between constructively criticizing a thread, and out-right shitting on it. Guess which category you fall into?

The occasional use of image macros or being playfully sardonic is fine. But you (and some other members) constantly add nothing to the discussion by shitting on it instead. Either respond to a thread constructively or just ignore it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Er, image macros? What? The thread I linked to was Luc's commentary on the frequent EGF practice of people posting a ton of screencaps as supposedly incontrovertible evidence of whatever they're currently trying to argue.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Evangelion is an audio visual work, sometimes screenshots from the show are needed to make a presentation better. They also help break up long walls of text, and generally make most posts more interesting to read. A picture tells a thousand words and all that.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 pm

esselfortium: I was quoting something from the post I linked to (considering I used an image macro in the previous page).

Also, what OMF said is true, but it's one of those things where with Eva, you have to take the dialogue AND images into account, not just limit it to one or the other.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:23 am

esselfortium wrote:Yep...
Well, when you grow up, you might actually get to see what Rei's posture and flushing allude to IRL. (Or you could just use the internets like everyone else.)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 am

Mental invasion and assault? Fine.

Suicide attempts? Fine.

Graphic, graphic murder with cannibalist nom nom time? Fine.

Killing babies on screen? Fine.

Mental, emotional, and physical abuse of children? Fine.

Sexual affairs, self-degradation, and casual sex with people barely above stranger-status? Fine.

Genocide? Fine.

Masturbating over comatose bitches and showing the cum to the viewer? Fine.

Lesbians? Fan-fucking-TASTIC! :D

But implied aggressive vaginal penetration without consent happening off-screen? NO, UNACCEPTABLE, COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE AND COMPLETELY NOT IN LINE WITH THE RST OF THE SERIES AT ALL EVUR

God, some people can be just stupid.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 am

Tines-ojichan: And here I thought letting the images "speak for themselves" would be obvious on their own. :asuka_miffed:

Aura: "Highfive!" /Borat

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 pm

there's always certain amount of ambiguity with eva. Get used to that.

Instead of belittling the obvious inference why don't you show some alternative interprepations that are as elegant, make as much sense and are as strongly backed by what we see in show?

oh, and Anno likes to screw with viewers. He'd propably just troll you if you asked him blatantly

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:This discussion has gotten awfully out of hand; there is no need to belittle and mock those of us who disagree with your conclusions. While I don't think it makes much sense, I know that I for one do not consider "Ritsuko was sexually assaulted" to be unacceptable, completely impossible, or out of line with the series. My protest that we should not treat this "fanon as fact," as esselfortium rightly put it, is not due to being uncomfortable with the subject matter. If anyone around here is "in denial" about this topic, it is those who insist that this is a definitive truth and do not acknowledge that this is a theory based upon dialogue and events that have multiple interpretations.

Evangelion is not as ambiguous and open to interpretation as you seem to think. Lots of things people would've written off as a baseless theory say...back in the 90's is generally held to be factual now, due to a greater retrospective clarity. As Xard said, please give an alternative, equally elegant, equally fitting theory to all the points, otherwise you're dissenting just for the sake of not liking the Ritsuko Rape.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:02 pm

After checking my lovely little pocket thesarus, I found some words that we could use other than that nasty, offenisve word r*pe to appease the offended parties.

Such as:
Abuse
Despoliation
Maltreatment
Plunder
Statuatory Offense

I would suggest "plunder" because that is essentially what has happened to the intelligence of this discussion because of certain people who can't deal with the r word in serious discussion.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:13 pm

ran1 wrote:I would suggest "plunder" because that is essentially what has happened to the intelligence of this discussion because of certain people who can't deal with the r word in serious discussion.
I don't like using an RPG Attack word to describe what happens to Asuka.[/Jimbo quietly exits Discussion Forum after not being able to pass up making this joke/observation]
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:18 pm

ran1 wrote:After checking my lovely little pocket thesarus
Whatever happemed to "Ravish" and "Violate"?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Whatever happemed to "Ravish" and "Violate"?

They seemed a little too severe for this kind of discussion. One might actually think those two words imply some sort of vaginal penetration, which is certainly NOT what occured here.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:35 pm

This is referring to translating a Japanese word into English though. It's not an English word we're dealing with here.

Sauce wrote:Cut 260

Ritsuko (backside) standing in front of monolith. Her manner is not like one whose body is covered.

Keel: We would like for things to proceed smoothly. We do not wish to subject you to anymore degradation and suffering.

The word in question for "degradation/disgrace" is this: 凌辱 (りょうじょく in hiragana, ryoujoku when transliterated.) 1: insult; affront; disgrace; indignity 2: sexual assault; rape Infromation from this page.

Pretty cut and dry I'd say, especially when you consider the scripts for all the episodes including EoE were included with the Renewal DVDs.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”