Is Misato an introvert?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nasmoe
Embryo

Is Misato an introvert?

•      
  •      

Postby Nasmoe » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:32 pm

It just seems to me that Misato is an introvert who pretends to be an extrovert.
Does anyone else think so, or am I just stating the obvious?
I want a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.....FOR FREE!-unforgivable

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:48 pm

"Introvert" and "extrovert" are pretty superficial, direly simplistic categorizations in the first place. Try applying them to anybody whose psyche you've seen deep into and getting a perfect fit; odds are you won't. These words work best when used in broad, general, who-gives-a-shit-about-the-specifics terms.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:33 pm

There are technical definitions of the terms as per e.g. Myers-Briggs; but they aren't anything close to the casual use of the words.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 pm

If it helps any, Anno supposedly stated in an interview that ALL the characters are introverts.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Sauce or it didn't supposedly happen. ;p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Re: Is Misato an introvert?

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:14 am

Nasmoe wrote:It just seems to me that Misato is an introvert who pretends to be an extrovert.

No, she's an extrovert.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:51 am

Nasmoe wrote:It just seems to me that Misato is an introvert who pretends to be an extrovert.

Same could be said about Asuka.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Nasmoe wrote:It just seems to me that Misato is a pervert who pretends to be an extrovert.

Fixed.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Hunter21 wrote:

Same could be said about Asuka.

All I have to say.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:22 pm

Does anyone else think so, or am I just stating the obvious?

those terms dont' apply exactly

Misato has Borderline Personality Disorder, which is basically using a lot of flamboyance and being the "life of the party" to hide her inner pain
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:23 am

V wrote:

those terms dont' apply exactly

Misato has Borderline Personality Disorder, which is basically using a lot of flamboyance and being the "life of the party" to hide her inner pain

A very good friend of mine passed away in August; she had Borderline Personality Disorder, and I agree that Misato has it as well. Off the top of my head, one of the textbook traits is driving recklessly. I wonder, do we ever see Misato driving fast aside from episode 1?

As for those terms not applying, I don't think they apply any less to Evangelion characters than they would to anyone else. But I would definitely say Misato is an extrovert.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:26 am

slothen wrote:A very good friend of mine passed away in August; she had Borderline Personality Disorder, and I agree that Misato has it as well. Off the top of my head, one of the textbook traits is driving recklessly. I wonder, do we ever see Misato driving fast aside from episode 1?

Sorry to hear about your friend. >_<

Misato drives wildly in Episode 7 when she makes an entrance at Shinji's school (Resulting in :kensuke_drool: ) and her alternate reality version does the same in Episode 26.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Another Asuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Another Asuka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:If it helps any, Anno supposedly stated in an interview that ALL the characters are introverts.

What the....Anno think's Asuka is an introvert? I'd say ambivert at the most.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Depends if the person in question feels exertion to keep up the facade or if that really is what they live for and feel lifeless without the interplay. Misato I could see going either way, but Asuka is clearly an extrovert.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Misato is extroverted, at least in the sense that she doesn't seem partiularly shy in speaking with anyone or saying what's on her mind.

Although it's worth noting that she evidently became an extrovert over a period of time, since she was a mute for a few years there.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:49 pm

I personally think it's possible to actually be an introvert but show the tendencies of an extrovert. Acting superficially extroverted might just be one way of dealing with introversion.

I really do think that you see Misato's real nature in scenes when she's by herself in her apartment or when she's with one person.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:23 pm

having personal problems or issues that you don't share with other people does not make you an introvert.

MAL Profile

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”