A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: A remake or a sequel?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Sachi_13 wrote:Anno would never do a clishe sequel like that. This is a sequel with a twist! [/sequeltheorysupporter]

Best ludicrous idea I've come across:

You know how the original NGE was basically Anno's version of Tomino's Ideon? Rebuild is Anno's version of Tomino's Turn-A Gundam, Turn-A Gainax. That means each and every Gainax show ever made (and all that will be made in the future) actually take place in the same timeline, and Rebuild will tie all their histories together. Also, there will be crossdressing.

It's either that or the Higurashi route. Mark my words.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: A remake or a sequel?

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Not to mention Turn-A-Gundam was the anime where Ideon's creator Tomino subverted his "Kill Em All" reputation and worked through his depression. Good signs for th Eva character if true.

Otherwise...heck, at this point, I'm expected Suzumiya meets Type-Moon meets giant robots meets ZA WARUDO!
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 pm

It's not a remake, it's a rehash.

And the people who think it's a sequel, are on a lot of drugs. But I like the theory. It can make this franchise feel like a really HUGE franchise. Like "Dragon Ball" huge(lol).
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:08 pm

wait, so did they say it was a sequl or not?
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 pm

There is no official statement to either confirm or deny the allegation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54 am

Evangelion217 wrote:And the people who think it's a sequel, are on a lot of drugs.

Although I think this is just a re-telling of Evangelion there is some evidence in Rebuild 1.0 that will make people think it is a sequel if you compare said evidence to some of the things in the original Eva.

Also this just came to mind.
Is it possible that (if this is a sequel after all) that Lillith the way she is seen in Rebuild with that scar, could be a reincarnated Misato or something.

Wait... that sounds a bit stupid.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm

That's more like parallelism or stigmata than anything else.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Mari is Yui, and Eva05 is actually 01 without Yui's soul. After EoE Yui left 01 on the moon and
came back as Mari to help Shinji get out of his post EoE loop.

Mari = Mary
Mary = mother of Jesus
Shinji = Jesus
Mari = mother of Shinji
Mother of Shinji = Yui
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

had the same thought a while back but disregarded it cuz of the mind numbing that came with it

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:37 am

Axell wrote:had the same thought a while back but disregarded it cuz of the mind numbing that came with it

Same here. Then it mutated into my current pet theory.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 am

I used to read comicbooks so I'm used to writers pulling this kind of crap. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a sequel. Or possibly a remake/sequel where everything is different because of time traveling powers. With Rei being everywhere at once It would make sense to me. They'd prodbaly use some time theroy to explain it. This kind of continuation would fit the whole metaphyschics evangelion has going on.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There is no official statement to either confirm or deny the allegation.

This. No matter how much we fanwank, we really won't know for sure until the final entry of the Rebuild series has been released. Until then either one of them could be true.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:we really won't know for sure until the final entry of the Rebuild series has been released.

Y'know, I'm not even sure that much is true. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as vague at the end as it is now. I could see Kaworu making additional statements that kind of imply that it's a sequel while the plot itself avoids the issue.

Dude BETTER reveal what the chalk outline is about, though. The characters would have to know what's going on there.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Y'know, I'm not even sure that much is true. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as vague at the end as it is now. I could see Kaworu making additional statements that kind of imply that it's a sequel while the plot itself avoids the issue.

Dude BETTER reveal what the chalk outline is about, though. The characters would have to know what's going on there.

Even then, it's better to wait for the last movie to come out, as we would have all the pieces to put together, if we think of what happens as a puzzle, which is kinda what we already do with NGE.

TeenGrizzly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TeenGrizzly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 am

I subscribe to the sequel theory myself.

The similarity in shots concerning end of evangelion's final shot and the very first shot of EVA 1.0. The chalk outline couldn't really be Adam or Lilith's (methinks) because the time gap between First or even Second Impact to the present seems too great to even think of implying that it's left over from that. I have not accounted for if First and Second Impact are still the same or if Anno changed this timeline to fit in with all the other changes which may in fact mean that it's a remake. And I can't believe that 15 full years passed and they STILL have a chalk outline of a being they ended over decade ago. The symbolism of the coffins on the moon would have to imply that they were dead at one time. Plus, the LCL sea in the rebuild movies seems to imply that there are humans that have yet to reform/Lilith bled (the moon giant with the IV/drip bag device?). The "you are the master of your fate" alternate reality sequence somewhat alludes to the state of affairs in the Rebuild movies, in my opinion. Mari being included as a new character is huge to me. I don't Anno would simply milk us on the storyline and add new characters because it would be cool or just so he could tie in a foil to someone or something.. Plus the whole point of Instrumentality was to essentially unite Adam and Lilith as well as all humans to heal them, and we see the characters having a much better grasp on themselves this time around. I doubt these revisions were made just to say, "wouldn't it be cool." While I don't have an answer on how things "reset," I think the Adam and Eve symbolism is definitely there with Shinji and Asuka (i don't mean they literally repopulated the earth because that's silly). One more thing, it is never directly stated the the oceans are LCL because of Second Impact. Kaji only alludes to the events of Second Impact which even in the show had turned the Antarctic Ocean into LCL. So, that could lean either way. I don't think it'll remain ambiguous as to its state as sequel or remake, but i feel it would undermine the entire point of rebuild to remain ambiguous, it would undermine being a remake if all the sequel allusion had really meant nothing or they somehow worked it out because then EVA is a sort of cash cow, and I feel a sequel could entirely work out.

I would've posted this in the sequel thread but I'm not reading through 30+ pages.

There's one more things that I just thought of. Since EVA is heavily-inspired by 2001, I think the End of Eva symbolism is clearly a carryover from 2001 when Dave is taken to a new planet as the starchild. I don't know if all the characters/LCL are taken to a mirror planet, but I believe they definitely could've been transported to a new place/existence/etc. where humanity could've gone on as is but with a sort of rebirth in the starchild sense? This seems very likely considering FAR did all this in the first place much in the same way that the ancient aliens in 2001 charted human evolution and eventually "rebooted" humanity. Just theories :)

Also, even if the sequel theory is wrong as is, I still think it could be a sequel that doesn't connect within the universe and is an appropriate alternate universe according to what the "god of your fate" implies. I believe it could still be a sequel because it seems to be concluding matters in the original universe while creating and altering a clone of that universe.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:03 pm

View Original PostTeenGrizzly wrote:I subscribe to the sequel theory myself.

The similarity in shots concerning end of evangelion's final shot and the very first shot of EVA 1.0. The chalk outline...

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=313027#313027

Also, Kaji in 2.0 explains why the ocean is red.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

TeenGrizzly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TeenGrizzly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

I don't think Kaji does because all he says is that the facility would only remind Misato of second impact. Plus the link to the early sachiel fighting attempt wouldn't make any sense inperspective to time frame, Rei being injured and being the only pilot at that time. Shed been injured since the accident and then sachiel attacked. And honestly I don't see anno doing something as silly as a retelling. Even if the universes don't connect through continuity, you could definitely argue that it is an existential sequel. I know ambiguity is a staple of EVA but he's an old man, I think he wishes to conclude matters as far as his magnum opus is concerned. Also it is impossible for the bloodstain to be from dragging the corpse...because dragging is an activity reliant on gravity.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

HERP, DERP. OMNISLASH TIME.

View Original PostTeenGrizzly wrote:I don't think Kaji does because all he says is that the facility would only remind Misato of second impact.

It's painfully obvious that the Aquarium scene concludes that Second Impact caused the oceans to turn red. One of the children (I forget who, but I'm thinking Kensuke) even comments something along the lines of "So, this is what the oceans were like before Second Impact!"

Plus the link to the early sachiel fighting attempt wouldn't make any sense inperspective to time frame, Rei being injured and being the only pilot at that time. Shed been injured since the accident and then sachiel attacked.

It's been a while since I've watched 1.0, but is it even established that Rei was injured during the failed Activation Test? I'm not sure.

And honestly I don't see anno doing something as silly as a retelling.Even if the universes don't connect through continuity, you could definitely argue that it is an existential sequel.

Oh, and a sequel is less silly? Elaborate.

If the continuities don't connect at all, then there's no evidence that any sequel exists. Imagine that the two continuities exist in separate bubbles; if these two aren't somehow connected, then what evidence is there to suggest that either is sequential to the other? This is getting nitpicking into what that actual definition of a sequel is, but even that distinction is relevant in this case.

I know ambiguity is a staple of EVA but he's an old man, I think he wishes to conclude matters as far as his magnum opus is concerned.

There's no leg to stand on here. You can't speak for the motives of another person.

Also it is impossible for the bloodstain to be from dragging the corpse...because dragging is an activity reliant on gravity.

The moon has gravity, and that giant sure has mass. Though, I'm not in support of this explanation, since it is just a speculation; I just wanted to point out your flawed logic.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 pm

View Original PostTeenGrizzly wrote:I know ambiguity is a staple of EVA but he's an old man
Anno isn't an old man. He's nearly 3 years younger than I am.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:It's been a while since I've watched 1.0, but is it even established that Rei was injured during the failed Activation Test? I'm not sure.

Yeah. The scene's virtually unchanged from its NGE incarnation, although it's kind of awkwardly jammed in right after Shinji notices Rei not swimming.

View Original PostSachi wrote:There's no leg to stand on here. You can't speak for the motives of another person.

Not to mention that Anno is what, fiftysomething? There's no reason he can't rinse and repeat the whole goddamned mess in another ten years.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”