In EOE Evangelion Unit 01... *spoilers*

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:58 am

At the end of End of Evangelion, right before they start talking about the Evangelion living forever, it dies. For some reason I have never noticed this before now but when everything is coming to an end and the earth is becomeing inhabitable again they close up on Unit 01 and Rei is floating next to it, then the light from it fades. Yui and Evangelion Unit 01 both die. Nothing last forever. Though this fact can't be comfermed, it can't be proven wrong either. What are your thoughs?

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 22:37 GMT

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siendra [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

01 became inactive, it didnt "die". Aslong as the soul still exist's, Eva will go on living forever.

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:10 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

siendra wrote:01 became inactive, it didnt "die". Aslong as the soul still exist's, Eva will go on living forever.

Thats what I though before. But Rei was standing next to it when it went "inactive". Rei apeared ot everyone else right before they died. Maybe the soul didn't go on because the world didn't end.

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:13 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Gundampilotspaz wrote:At the end of End of Evangelion, right before they start talking about the Evangelion living forever, it dies. For some reason I have never noticed this before now but when everything is coming to an end and the earth is becomeing inhabitable again they close up on Unit 01 and Rei is floating next to it, then the light from it fades. Yui and Evangelion Unit 01 both die. Nothing last forever. Though this fact can't be comfermed, it can't be proven wrong either. What are your thoughs?

think about that for a minute, right before they say the Eva CANNOT DIE, the Eva DIES. How does that make sense.

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:14 GMT

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siendra [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Did anybody see Tang in that scene? No one? Good, I was worried I had missed something.

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:22 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Gundampilotspaz wrote:At the end of End of Evangelion, right before they start talking about the Evangelion living forever, it dies. For some reason I have never noticed this before now but when everything is coming to an end and the earth is becomeing inhabitable again they close up on Unit 01 and Rei is floating next to it, then the light from it fades. Yui and Evangelion Unit 01 both die. Nothing last forever. Though this fact can't be comfermed, it can't be proven wrong either. What are your thoughs?

Of course it can be proven wrongImage

You see a flashback to back to Yui and Fuyutski talking about how the Evangelion can live for all eternity, that after the planets and sun is gone it will still be there as a testament tof mankind. And also earlier in EoE, Fuyutski mentioned that it was Yui's plan to remain in Eva01.

Also beside all of that, Eva01 had become a god, because of the Lance and being the offspring of Lillith....It will always be alive.

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:39 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

The EVA is just going temporarily dormant: When you see Rei standing before Unit 01, she is basically doing the same thing with Yui/Unit 01 as she was with Misato and Ritsuko in ep25': acting as a link or medium to connect their souls to Shinji. Note that the next scene (punctuated by a water drop, which indicates a transition from external reality to Instrumentality) is Yui's 'face-to face' farewell to Shinji. Thereafter we see Unit 01 (with streaming hair) drift off into deep space. Yui is 'back' in the EVA (strictly speaking, she never left).

Originally posted on: 25-Aug-2003, 23:46 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Never looked at it that way....interesting.....You're talking about when he was surfacing up from the LCL Sea thing right?

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 00:14 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

saiyajin prince wrote:Never looked at it that way....interesting.....You're talking about when he was surfacing up from the LCL Sea thing right?
Yes. Note that Yui drifts away into space, while Shinji drifts the opposite direction (towards earth, and the 'suface' of the Sea of LCL) Then we see him bob up on the suface of the LCL; a very clever way to finesse the issue of 'coming back' to physical reality. One could ask 1) when/how did he get out of the entry plug? 2) Unit 01 entered Lilith as the Tree of Life, but exits in it usual form; how did the Tree become the Lance again? 3) Shinji was in the LCL world, and thus had presumably lost physical form, like everyone else, in the scene with Rei, but in that scene, and, in fact, in all the instrumentality scenes, he holds on to a physical object (Misato's cross), and has it with him when he comes back to the real world; how does that work?
Just wondering...

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 02:42 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Shin-seiki wrote:1) when/how did he get out of the entry plug?

Perhaps when the plug hit the ground, it activated the LCL ejection system?

Shin-seiki wrote:2) Unit 01 entered Lilith as the Tree of Life, but exits in it usual form; how did the Tree become the Lance again?

Unit-01 forced it back?

Shin-seiki wrote:3) Shinji was in the LCL world, and thus had presumably lost physical form, like everyone else, in the scene with Rei, but in that scene, and, in fact, in all the instrumentality scenes, he holds on to a physical object (Misato's cross), and has it with him when he comes back to the real world; how does that work?
Just wondering...

Magic?

Damn you and your difficult questions. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 03:17 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:1) when/how did he get out of the entry plug? 2) Unit 01 entered Lilith as the Tree of Life, but exits in it usual form; how did the Tree become the Lance again? 3) Shinji was in the LCL world, and thus had presumably lost physical form, like everyone else, in the scene with Rei, but in that scene, and, in fact, in all the instrumentality scenes, he holds on to a physical object (Misato's cross), and has it with him when he comes back to the real world; how does that work?
Just wondering...

1. He became LCL like everyone else and joined with them. You could also add to this question "How did Asuka get out of her Entry Plug?" Then add on "How is Asuka alive?" There souls joined with Lilith and so where ever LCL was, they were too.

2. Shinji rejected instermentality and when he did he or Yui could of willed Unit 01 to return to its form. Or the Eva could of destroyed the Tree, or when the tree fused with Lilith the Eva was released.

3. The cross could repersent a connection with the world that he had lost. Though Instrumentality he struggling between the two worlds, so the cross was him holding onto that world and he looked at it before he desided to come back. In fact it filled the screen blocking Rei's face. So the cross was just a physical repersentation of him still holding onto the world of pain.

saiyajin prince wrote:You see a flashback to back to Yui and Fuyutski talking about how the Evangelion can live for all eternity, that after the planets and sun is gone it will still be there as a testament tof mankind. And also earlier in EoE, Fuyutski mentioned that it was Yui's plan to remain in Eva01.

They said when all humans were gone the Evangelion would be a testament that humans exsisted. The Humans did not die, maybe Yui desided not to be lonely and spend all time in the Evangelion.

Yui sinking into the LCL and Shinji rising could mean that Yui became LCL, not that she returned to the Evaneglion.

GandalfsWhisper wrote:think about that for a minute, right before they say the Eva CANNOT DIE, the Eva DIES. How does that make sense.

The Evangelion cannot die as long as the human soul remains inside. If Yui chose to leave then maybe the Evangelion could of died, sence then it would of been an empty shell.

Shin-seiki wrote:The EVA is just going temporarily dormant: When you see Rei standing before Unit 01, she is basically doing the same thing with Yui/Unit 01 as she was with Misato and Ritsuko in ep25': acting as a link or medium to connect their souls to Shinji. Note that the next scene (punctuated by a water drop, which indicates a transition from external reality to Instrumentality) is Yui's 'face-to face' farewell to Shinji. Thereafter we see Unit 01 (with streaming hair) drift off into deep space. Yui is 'back' in the EVA (strictly speaking, she never left).

When Rei went ot Misato and Ritsuko they turned into LCL and not only joined with Shinji, but with everyone else also. If that was true then Yui's soul did leave the Evangelion and joined the LCL. Yui sinking into the LCL and Shinji rising could mean that Yui became LCL, not that she returned to the Evaneglion. The Evangelion drifting off into deep space could just be that, drifting as an empty shell.

Farther more I don't think that Yui's plan lined up with Seele and Gendo's, because the Evangelion became the Tree of Life. So the flashback was just Yui's hope, a false hope. If Shinji never rejected Instermentality then there would be no Evangelion to serve as a testament to mankinds exsistence. Unless for some reason Lilith released it after it was done with the Tree of Life which we can never find out.

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 03:26 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Shin-seiki :
1) when/how did he get out of the entry plug?

He pulled the induction lever and ejects the plug.

Shinji was contained within his Entry Plug for the majority of the movie. This I believe is one of the key factors as to why Shinji was able to retain some form of individuality even though everyone else had lost their physical forms. Shinji was still kept essentially separate, he had lost his physical form, but he was within his entry plug. Ultimately when he came back he reformed within the Entry Plug (that would have had Misato's cross floating around inside of it), then ejected it and returned to Earth.

I think Eva-01 is very much alive with Yui inside of it. It floats away, with long hair flowing out the head of it, just when Yui is talking about it having a soul inside of it and being eternal proof of humankinds existance.

Rei in my opinion was just saying goodbye, just like she did to Shinji right at the end (floating out above the sea of LCL).

Aside: The Shinji ejecting details are described in the extended original scenario for the movie, see This Thead for more details.

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 03:47 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

MDWigs wrote:Shinji was contained within his Entry Plug for the majority of the movie. This I believe is one of the key factors as to why Shinji was able to retain some form of individuality even though everyone else had lost their physical forms. Shinji was still kept essentially separate, he had lost his physical form, but he was within his entry plug. Ultimately when he came back he reformed within the Entry Plug (that would have had Misato's cross floating around inside of it), then ejected it and returned to Earth.

[/B]

That would also be a good reason why Asuka and him were the only two people who's bodies reformed in the end.

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 03:53 GMT

Plum [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Plum [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

GandalfsWhisper wrote:think about that for a minute, right before they say the Eva CANNOT DIE, the Eva DIES. How does that make sense.

i agree with u not that my thoughts matter

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 03:59 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Gundampilotspaz wrote:That would also be a good reason why Asuka and him were the only two people who's bodies reformed in the end.
I've always taken a very[/u] dim view of that theory. Asuka dies when Unit 02 dies; thats the point of showing her arm split (what is happening to the EVA is happening to her; when the the rest of the Lances hit Unit 02, I don't imagine that what's left of her is in any better shape than what is left of Misato after she gets blown to smithereens). Once Asuka is dead, her being in an entry plug is a moot point. Her soul is taken up in TI just like everyone else, we don't see her dissolve, because she had already lost physical form just before she died, due to hypersynchronization with her EVA. At the end, her coming back is simply a matter of her being the first (and by no means the only) one to 'return to human form (by) imagining herself in her own heart'; it has never occurred to me that it requires any other explanation. To me, to suppose that only Asuka comes back, because of some 'special' circumstance (other than being the designated love-interest of the main character, that is), only serves to completely screw up the whole meaning of the ending, because it effectively renders all the words of Rei, Kaworu, and Yui about people coming back kind of meaningless and irrelevant...

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 04:28 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Thereafter we see Unit 01 (with streaming hair) drift off into deep space.

The white squiggly thing was hair!?! I've always wondered what that was...

Little off-topic question, but are Evas supposed to have hair normally?

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 09:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:The white squiggly thing was hair!?! I've always wondered what that was...

Little off-topic question, but are Evas supposed to have hair normally?
I think the idea is the EVA has become Yui...

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 11:06 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Gundampilotspaz wrote:When Rei went ot Misato and Ritsuko they turned into LCL and not only joined with Shinji, but with everyone else also. If that was true then Yui's soul did leave the Evangelion and joined the LCL.
Note that I said in ep25'. Rei comes for Ritsuko and Misato in the TI sequence of ep26', in which the souls of both the living, and the recently deceased, are gathered; what is going on in ep25' is something completely different.
The shots of Rei standing by Misato and Ritsuko as they die is there basically for one reason only: to 'explain' their (otherwise inexplicable) presence with Shinji in the pre-Third Impact Instrumentality Sequence that starts here, and ends here. Misato and Ritsuko's souls don't actually go any where when Rei appears to them the first time; she is acting as a medium to connect them to Shinji (in ep26'), who is once again dissolved inside EVA, just as he was in ep20: the difference is that this time he has company, as Rei has somehow (don't ask me how, it's all very metaphysical) arranged for Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko, and herself, to be 'there' with him...

Originally posted on: 26-Aug-2003, 14:37 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Little off-topic question, but are Evas supposed to have hair normally?

Nope -- they are completely hairless. GAINAX's depictions of uncovered Evas are very inconsistent with one another, but hair is not featured in any of them. The Evas have a mammalian skeletal structure, but they betray this through a number of their fleshy features, or, rather, the lack thereof) -- no cartiliginous noses or ears, no muscular lips (with the exception of the ryousanki) or cheeks, no nipples or mammary glands, and no hair.

The hair at the end of 26' looks kind of surreal, so I never took it seriously. The thought of an Eva having hair is just ghastly, anyway. I've done drawings of Shogouki with a long silver 'do' and it just doesn't work. [Felineki may have posted one of them at some point or another, before I joined AN Forums. I'll share it with any who ask. >::D] Dysfunctional as he11.

As far as the Lance... There is a shot towards the end of EoE, after EVA-01 bursts out of Lilith's eye, where she can be seen pulling the Lance out of her mouth. (Almost looks like she's vomitting up blood or something.) Not sure what the significance of her "splitting" the Lance into two halves is, though...

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 03:39 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Originally posted by Gundampilotspaz
They said when all humans were gone the Evangelion would be a testament that humans exsisted. The Humans did not die, maybe Yui desided not to be lonely and spend all time in the Evangelion.

From the EoE Program Book

Yui:
Yes. Humans can only live on this planet, but Evangelion can live forever... together with the human soul that dwells within it.

(EVA-01 and the Lance of Longinus float in space)

Even after 5 billion years, when the Earth, the Moon, and even the Sun have disappeared, it will still exist as long as even one person still lives.
It will be very lonely, but as long as that one person still lives...

Yui sinking into the LCL and Shinji rising could mean that Yui became LCL, not that she returned to the Evaneglion.

The Evangelion cannot die as long as the human soul remains inside. If Yui chose to leave then maybe the Evangelion could of died, sence then it would of been an empty shell.

It was her plan to remain in Eva 01 all along.

Fuyutsuki:
Humans exist because they have the will to live...
And that is the reason she remained within Eva.

As far as the Lance... There is a shot towards the end of EoE, after EVA-01 bursts out of Lilith's eye, where she can be seen pulling the Lance out of her mouth. (Almost looks like she's vomitting up blood or something.) Not sure what the significance of her "splitting" the Lance into two halves is, though...

Was about to mention the same thing......But you beat me to itImage

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 04:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”