Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Study Anime at University

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:39 pm

I dont go to this university but is in my local area.
But it has a course that studies manga

Quote 1 wrote:Have you ever wanted to say "Mum, I'm going to do my homework...watch the rest of the Evangelion series!"?
Now you can watch anime and be academically recognised...twice! From next year onwards, JPN 223 will be offered with JPN 123 as a prerequisite. Why not enrol in JPN 123 today? Remember, if you like what you do, then you'll never have to work..."

Welcome to
JPN123 Japan's Contemporary Culture through Manga
Department of Asian Languages

It is widely acknowledged that manga holds a significant place in contemporary Japanese culture. This unit, offered in the second half-year, provides a unique insight into modern societies through manga. A number of representative works comprising comics/animations will be examined from various perspectives, with regard to their socio-cultural, mental, philosophical and literary significance. This unit will include an examination of manga creators and their particular artistic effects on symbolism.

This is a general education unit conducted in English and no prior knowledge of Japanese language is required.

JPN123 will be a prerequisite for a new unit, JPN223: Manga and Representation of Identity, which will provide a close examination of manga/anime's rich and profound representations of issues of identity, paying particular attention to the fashioning of self and the individual's quest for subjective agency. Various important works by, for example, Osamu Tezuka, Riyoko Ikeda, Moto Hagio, Keiko Takemiya, Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo, Mamoru Oshii, Naoko Takeuchi, Rumiko Takahashi and Clamp, will be examined.

Dam , I wish I studied harder ( even though I did give it my all trying getting into uni) so I could have taken this courses.

Now thats what I can learning ,lol.

Doing homework on anime, sounds good to me
Last edited by Timesplitter 01 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:24 pm

( A few days later.......)

Seems like no one has posted here :cry: .

I am changing the topic heading to make more people post
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:30 am

No offence, but I read and just didn't have any coment worth posting. It's cool and all, but I figured there was a college somewhere that had people who would Atempt to explaing the mind-fuck that is Evanglion.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:43 am

anatrok wrote:No offence, but I read and just didn't have any coment worth posting. It's cool and all, but I figured there was a college somewhere that had people who would Atempt to explaing the mind-fuck that is Evanglion.

I just thought i was unpopular , thats all :roll:

I wouldnt mind watching evangelion for homework :lol: :lol: , or any anime for that matter

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:33 pm

Whoa, a class I would actually pay attention in.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:58 am

You do not note what university this is. The fact that "mum" is used makes me think it is a British university.

BTW, there will be a class at UMBC this summer that studies anime, manga, and Japanese culture:

JAPN214 Japanese Language and Culture through Anime; (3 credits) Grade Method: REG/P-F/AUD.
Animation has recently gained recognition as a useful tool for learning culture, social issues, trends, and language and communication. By viewing animation with an emphasis on school life and youth culture, this course will address issues such as interpersonal communication (verbal and non-verbal behavior), cultural values, norms, and expectations. Also, introduces colloquial language. No previous knowledge of Japanese is required.

0601(15007) Anzai, S. (Seats=25, Open=20, Waitlist=0) Books
Meets 08/01/05-08/19/05
MTuWThF... 9:30am-12:20pm (PLS 1115)

Learn more here: [url]http://www.sis.umd.edu/bin/soc?term=200506&crs=JAPN[/url]
Done. Guarding.

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:08 pm

Actually, something like that probably isn't far from reality. Kansas State University, which is near my hometown, has a class devoted to the Harry Potter series, of all things.

A class centered around the discussion of Eva and other anime and manga... it could very well happen, guys!

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:25 am

which uni is it?! me-want-go!!!

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Vulkurt wrote:BTW, there will be a class at UMBC this summer that studies anime, manga, and Japanese culture:

Whoa, back up the magic school bus.

This course isn't in UMBC's course listings, and it looks like its being offered at College Park. But being in the Maryland school system, I should be able to register for it...

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Not that you would want to take a course like that....*glare*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:43 pm

Yeah I would. Cause I'm a slacker.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:03 pm

chocomanji wrote:Not that you would want to take a course like that....*glare*

Looks like someone apposes our uni-anime dream :roll:

But it diffently looks like anime has sunk its teeth into our uni's.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:16 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Vulkurt wrote:BTW, there will be a class at UMBC this summer that studies anime, manga, and Japanese culture:

This course isn't in UMBC's course listings, and it looks like its being offered at College Park. But being in the Maryland school system, I should be able to register for it...

Whoops, I'm sorry. CP, not BC. However, the class is currently full.
Done. Guarding.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Does anyone really need credit for sitting on their ass and doing something they'd do on their free time anyway? (No offense, fellow musicians.) How could you not feel dirty?

I've internally debated whether or not to establish an anime club. On the plus side, I'd have something to do. On the downside, I'd have something to do.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:48 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

The magic SHORT school bus.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:04 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Does anyone really need credit for sitting on their ass and doing something they'd do on their free time anyway? (No offense, fellow musicians.) How could you not feel dirty?

Easily
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:06 am

::Clears throat::

The following class is being offered at Community College of Baltimore County:

Examining Japanese Language & Culture: Anime & Manga

This class runs from 4/14-5/19, and is a non-credit course. The fee is $66. The class will explore Japanese cultural contexts in connection with anime (mostly) and manga (briefly).

More information can be found here: http://www.ccbcmd.edu/ceed/spring/le_history.html

It is currently under enrolled (needs two more people to run). It is being taught by Professor Dutterer, who sometimes runs around the Eva Monkey boards, using the name Vulkurt. :D Sign up today!
Done. Guarding.

ShetenshiSenshi
Embryo

Japanese anime class

•      
  •      

Postby ShetenshiSenshi » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:52 pm

My local community college is offering a class on the history of Japanese anime, and how it relates to Japanese culture. I'm taking it in the fall, starting Aug. 24th.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:13 pm

Yeah, my school (Duke University) also offered a course in anime last year. As an added bonus, the professor was a small, older Japanese woman named Yoda... had I taken it, I'm sure I would have slipped up and called her Master Yoda at least once.

2004 Fall AALL 152-01
GENDER AND SEXUALITY IN ANIME

The course will examine a wide range of contemporary Japanese animations that feature young girls (and some adult women), whose characterization and stories revolve around their status as fighters, facing off adversaries using their supernatural forces, martial arts skills, cyborgian prosthetics, and manipulation of varied robotic and other forms of weaponry. Fantastic narratives of heroic (predominantly male) youths fighting evil forces and myriad forms of threats to humanity have been a mainstay in sci-fi/fantasy comic and animations in Japan and elsewhere. Since around mid-1980s, however, there has been an explosion of Japanese anime and manga that feature teenage girls in the central heroic roles, constituting a whole genre of ?fighting girl beauties? (sento bishojo). While some animes featuring girl fighters specifically cater to female audience, a large portion of these works are based on manga serialized in journals published primarily for young male readership, and target male audience in their anime versions as well. The course will investigate how and why girl fighters have become such prominent and pervasive aspects of anime landscape by studying the history of contemporary anime and manga, commercial interests of producers and distributors, anime fans and their activities (e.g., including their production of fanzines and cultures of anime conventions/costume play events), and broader trends in Japanese popular culture. Through these discussions, we will consider what this particular genre of anime suggests about the construction of gender identity and sexuality in contemporary Japanese and global youth culture. The questions to be raised in the class would include whether these fighting girls may function not only as erotic objects but also as points of identification for male viewers; what kind of subject-position and viewing pleasures do these works offer to female audience; and how these works and their reception relate to the transformations of gender construction and attitudes on sexuality in contemporary Japanese society. Furthermore, in view of the global reach of anime today, we will discuss whether some of the analyses of the genre linked to the localized context of original production may have to be extended and/or altered as we consider their impacts on the audience outside of Japan.

Assigned anime included, IIRC, stuff like Chobits. I wasn't in the class.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:23 pm

drinian wrote:Yeah, my school (Duke University) also offered a course in anime last year. As an added bonus, the professor was a small, older Japanese woman named Yoda... had I taken it, I'm sure I would have slipped up and called her Master Yoda at least once.

You seriously have to be kidding. Yoda? You sure you didn't mishear that?
Natsukashii, ne?

Return to “Anime and Manga”