Final scene in 1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Final scene in 1.0

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:12 pm

In the end of Eva 1.01 there is this new scene with Kaworu... and this is bugging me.

German dub:
Kaworu: Es wird also wieder der Dritte sein. Du änderst dich nie, oder? Ich freue mich schon auf unsere Begegnung, Shinji Ikari.

German sub:
Kaworu: Der Dritte also schon wieder. Du änderst dich auch nie. Ich freu mich auf dich, Shinji Ikari.

I don´t know what the fansubs do exactly say: but I´d translate this as the following:

It´s the third again.You´ll never change, do you? I´m looking forward to you, Shinji Ikari.

This line... You´ll never change... he´s just looking at the moon giant. Is he talking to god, who never changes his "plan"... meaning it´s really some kind of loop and Kaworu knows this...

Or am I totally wrong? Tell me :)

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:43 pm

If he was talking to a god, it would be the FAR, so... I don't even know if he knows about them or not.

I think he's clearly talking to himself about Shinji, and about how similar he is to his previous self, if the whole story is indeed a loop.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:14 pm

I thinki he's talking about Shinji. Sequel theory forever! (dodges bullet)

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm

No way. He's probably talking to, and about, the thing right in front of him.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 pm

hes talking to chairman keel through his monolith. He comes on screen 3 seconds after that shot

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Axell wrote:hes talking to chairman keel through his monolith. He comes on screen 3 seconds after that shot

Kaworu just turned AWAY from where the floating monolith had been.

Rodeo wrote:He's probably talking to, and about, the thing right in front of him.

Kaworu's mentioning a "third" in between Keel bringing up a "boy who's awakened" and saying that he looks forward to meeting "Shinji Ikari". Based upon this context, odds are the "third" is Shinji...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 pm

There is a 90% chance that he's talking about Shinji being the third one based on the context. I hold a 10% chance in my mind that he's referring to the white giant in front of him based on the fact that he uses the phrase "三番目," which is interchangeable with the numbering of the Angels (I think...). It just sounds slightly awkward and mechanical in the Japanese that he cares/knows who was the first, second, or third child(ren) whatever, or why it's worth saying it like that. I mean, how many times have you referred to a friend of yours as "the third one?" I dunno, I'm rambling.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:11 am

Short for "Sanbanme no tekininsha" (三番目の適任者), maybe? They used this kind of numbering scheme in the original as the Japanese equivalent of the "(ordinal) Children" stuff.

I've wondered if they're actually playing around with us by having Kaworu deliver the line the moment he turns to the giant. I.e., in the textual context he's talking about Shinji, but they're dropping a hint at the same time that the giant is the mysterious Third Angel. It seems like the sort of thing Anno & Friends would do.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:17 am

I just noticed the big bulge in the middle of the white things chest.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:39 am

Indeed, presumably a core. The giant is actually wearing a huge gimp suit (I guess Seele are trying to get it into S&M), not that you can see the seams in the material clearly on the DVD or anything. But that's what the production drawings are for.

...huh huh huh, you said "bulge".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Reichu wrote:I.e., in the textual context he's talking about Shinji, but they're dropping a hint at the same time that the giant is the mysterious Third Angel. It seems like the sort of thing Anno & Friends would do.

This is what I've been thinking about the matter myself.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:30 pm

I think the "du" in the German translation is interesting. Keel Lorenz would probably be a "Sie", no?

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Yeah but the german translators don't know more than we do. And I still don't know why it's debatable, he's just talking to himself about Shinji.

I mean, come on. No big deal.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:46 pm

agree w/ SSD & Reichu... time loop theory is lame.

Also, I only just now realized that the moon giant has ears! I don't know why that amuses me, but it does... visions of eva-sized wet willies spring to mind.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:14 pm

NemZ wrote:agree w/ SSD & Reichu... time loop theory is lame.

Actually I love it, and it appears to be strongly hinted at.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm with V.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Lucretius wrote:I'm with V.

the first sensible phrase I've heard all day: say it loud, it's like a battle-cry. Say it soft, it's like a prayer.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

V wrote:the first sensible phrase I've heard all day: say it loud, it's like a battle-cry. Say it soft, it's like a prayer.

*Coughs*

Nothing too surprising about the ears. Lilith has "ears" of a sort in both instances.

The "du" must have referred to Shinji. Kaworu never referred to Keel directly in the original conversation. Both of them were talking elliptically about something they knew well and didn't bother to address each other.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:37 am

I'm with ya too V.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 am

This thread isn't a Sequel Theory Fan Listing, folks.

UrsusArctos wrote:Nothing too surprising about the ears. Lilith has "ears" of a sort in both instances.

Lilith doesn't have a core, though... (And, for whatever it's worth -- perhaps not much in Rebuild terms -- I've never seen the Evas depicted with the little ear flaps.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”